[Analysis / Discussion] Akali balance at Diamond

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Brodhi

05-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akumou View Post
Zed's poke is extremely easy to dodge, (short range and slow). If he uses his shadow to double q he no longer has his escape for 10+ seconds making him vulnerable to ganks.

Kha'zix is extremely mana hungry and is generally speaking a squishy champion.

Jayce is again extremely mana hungry and has a very weak early game. Also he is not a melee champion he is a hybrid.
Good thing Riot added all these fancy Mana items that AD's can use to have infinite mana in lane as well as the ability to buy mana pots!

Whew, now I can get out of the laning phase as Kha and have the best roam in the entire game as a Mid. Yay!

Zed also has 2 harasses, both Shadow Slash and Shuriken are deadly when used with Living Shadow. You have to not only dodge his Living Shadow -> Shadow Slash but then immediately dodge BOTH Shurikens it tosses out. Zed also has one of the best level 6 bursts in the game.

No, Kha/Zed/Jayce have almost no risk for the reward they get as assassins.

IamTheBURNiNATOR

05-08-2013

I love how we waited 2 days for a response from Riot after Morello made his post only to get a rehash of the last time that Statikk commented on Akali.

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...ge=16#36849171

How is 145 damage on a 4 second cool-down a ranged nuke? Oh no Akali can harass me with Q's all day long. That incredible 45/70/95/120/145 +.4ap damage was so painful. Auto attacks hit as hard or harder and they don't have a 4 second cool down. Ranged nuke? It's more like a friendly tickle especially if your lane opponent isn't brain dead and buys even a little mr.

If you're going to say that a single target assassin with negligible cc and aoe can't have more damage than someone with good aoe or good cc (or both because there are plenty of champions like that in LoL) then I don't know what to think about the game's balance.

All I know is that if her laning phase is going to continue to be as abysmal as it is right now she needs some major compensation. Give her some actual cc or increase her ratios. Or give her an escape that isn't countered completely by 125 gold. I would trade Twilight shroud for any other assassins escape in the game.

Fizz is untargetable and leaps away with a good slow attached.

Zed has a blink and a slow (although he's kind of op right now so I don't know if this actually helps my point).

Kha'Zix has a 600 range (900 when evolved) leap that doesn't need a target that refreshes on kills. He also has a move speed boost, stealth, and damage reduction. He also has a slow.

LeBlanc has 600 range jump that doesn't need a target and can be cast again using her ult.

Lee Sin can w to ally creeps or champs or ult them away from himself.

Kassadin goes wherever he wants with his 6 second flash.

Every single one of them has an escape ability that isn't completely countered by an item (and a cheap one at that).

If you want Akali to not just out stat and kill her opponents that way actually give her something instead of just taking away. She was a champ who's design was based off of out stating your opponent and killing squishies. With a kit like that you can't just take away damage potential and give nothing back, because damage potential is all she has.

MrSmileyy

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akumou View Post
Zed's poke is extremely easy to dodge, (short range and slow). If he uses his shadow to double q he no longer has his escape for 10+ seconds making him vulnerable to ganks.

Kha'zix is extremely mana hungry and is generally speaking a squishy champion.

Jayce is again extremely mana hungry and has a very weak early game. Also he is not a melee champion he is a hybrid.
Kha is safe enough to build a tear as soon as he backs the first time, has sustain/long range nuke/slow, yes a nuke, a jump for chasing or fleeing, usually fleeing, and a short stealth thrown on top. He has almost no risk in lane, if he dies its typically only his own fault. After you get your tear you can spam that ridiculous W to your hearts content and never be in any danger.

Zed I agree with, when I lane against zed if he uses shadow to poke I take that time to harass him back.

Jayce issue is largely more of "why does he do everything" his kit just allows him to always have an answer for everything.

Hexten

05-08-2013

I'm getting less and less confident in what Statikk has to say. This post is of the same ****ty quality as the other one he posted earlier on.

Especially where he mentioned RANGED NUKE? What the ****? Totally clueless there mate.

Akali has a ranged nuke. Good one.

If he can't be bothered writing out a proper post, then I cbf. Others can say my words for me.

Can we please get another red to post? Anyone else. Morello hasn't even finished his one, so I rather hear him out, he usually has insightful posts.

Akava

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3TASH33P View Post
I lol'd

you mean that 145 base damage (at lvl 5) short range spell that doesnt do a damn thing unless you proc it?
Comments like this make me wonder if the Designers have too many champions on their plate. The fact that such a low power skill on a melee unless said champ is IN melee being considered problematic is shocking.

Statikk

Live Balance Designer

05-08-2013
3 of 12 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayath View Post
"At this point, it is more about re-increasing the reward for playing Akali by giving her fun and interesting gameplay tools that she can use to outplay and outwit her opponents rather than reverting her to a point where she simply has more raw stats and damage numbers to brute-force her way through games."
I really would love to be a clever ninja. Increasing her skill ceiling is the way to go. This will make her complex and thus more rewarding for heavily invested players. I already elaborated on this in the OP.

However, what kind of ways do you propose to do so? I know game design is a tricky thing. An idea you think works in theory, might not work in practice.
Yeah I'm not sure on exactly where we can add more interesting gameplay hooks into Akali. The Twilight Shroud giving her vision of the area is definitely a cool start which gives her vision utility and the ability to jump to stuff that was previously in fog of war.

I thought about different ideas for the majority of last weekend. Some ideas (these are mostly random ideas by the way that most likely will never be implemented) were allowing her to Shadow Dance to allies or the center of her Twilight Shroud, allowing her to have multiple Twilight Shrouds on an ammo system, etc.

I'm actually pretty happy with what is going into the next patch. Our team is currently spending a lot of time figuring out where and how we'd like to see squishy melee champions like Yi, Fiora, and Akali succeed in League of Legends.

By the way, sorry I can't respond a whole lot. Things are busy around here.

o O

05-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statikk View Post
Yeah I'm not sure on exactly where we can add more interesting gameplay hooks into Akali. The Twilight Shroud giving her vision of the area is definitely a cool start which gives her vision utility and the ability to jump to stuff that was previously in fog of war.

I thought about different ideas for the majority of last weekend. Some ideas (these are mostly random ideas by the way that most likely will never be implemented) were allowing her to Shadow Dance to allies or the center of her Twilight Shroud, allowing her to have multiple Twilight Shrouds on an ammo system, etc.

I'm actually pretty happy with what is going into the next patch. Our team is currently spending a lot of time figuring out where and how we'd like to see squishy melee champions like Yi, Fiora, and Akali succeed in League of Legends.

Can you please comment on this? It's a reply I made in this thread. If I could copy and paste it here I would but I cannot have quotes embedded in quotes so it looks really funky.

Please follow the reply (hit blue icon) or click here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by o O View Post

Roguest0

05-08-2013

I absolutely agree with the OP. I don't play akali much, but as a player in Silver Division akali never annoyed me unless she was well played. In other words, only those who actually love akali and play her because thats who the "main" do well. I mean I could play her and do what is considered to be Acceptable, but never in a way that I just create plays and out play enemy team in so many ways that they just hate me.

Akali nerfs were unnecessary, and as the OP said, she's a high reward champ since she's like glass.. Don't take that from her.

Brodhi

05-08-2013

Quote:

I understand you are a multi-billion dollar company, but what exactly is busy at Riot @ 8 o'clock PM on a Wednesday? Company Game Night?

You legitmately said that Akali's early game was too strong because of Q, yet Diana's Q, Kha'zix's W, Yi's Q (which is absurdly overpowered beyond belief right now), Twisted Fate's Blue Card, and countless others are allowed to keep their incredible poke with the same reward as Akali, but with less risk.

Can you even comment on the fact that some assassins have insanely high risk factors (Poppy, LeBlanc, Akali, Talon) with the same reward as all other assassins who have almost no risk factors (Diana, Kha'zix, Jayce, Zed)?

Bossnja

05-08-2013

Quote:

I'm not really satisfied with your replies.
I know that you guys are busy, but I hope you can continue to keep posting (when you have the chance) and discuss these changes with us.

Akali really SUCKS right now.