why are the easiest heroes also the best heroes?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Schokcha

Senior Member

11-12-2010

If you call Galio easy, you might as well call at least half of the league easy (speaking relatively here). He's certainly not the hardest champion to play, either, but he's very far from being a Sona.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Voyager I

Senior Member

11-12-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phreak View Post
I can give you the other 3, but Galio is far from the easiest tank.

Q and E are skill shots, W requires precise timing and judicious use due to the cooldown, and the ultimate can easily be nullified if you time it improperly or initiate without your team ready.
For Comparison: Amumu

A similar ult that can't be interrupted, a built-in mechanic to get you in range to use it, and no other responsibility or contribution to the team.

Even then, actually landing those bandage tosses can get a fair bit technical.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TheycallmeX

Senior Member

11-12-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by KalosCast View Post
This should be pretty obvious. If something is easy to use, it's easy to play to its highest potential. Since every champion needs to be balanced, this means that all champions need to be equal when played to their highest potential. Therefore, difficult champions come across as underpowered.

There are a few notable exceptions (Master Yi, for example) that dominate low-play due to their ease and power, but fall behind at higher level play, due to people having a firmer grasp of game mechanics, but this is a short list of champions.
and this is fine, my issue is that the harder to play champions don't actually reward you for being harder to play. the trio of easy carries will still outcarry even the best ezreal


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

EFG

Senior Member

11-13-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phreak View Post
I can give you the other 3, but Galio is far from the easiest tank.

Q and E are skill shots, W requires precise timing and judicious use due to the cooldown, and the ultimate can easily be nullified if you time it improperly or initiate without your team ready.
His e is about as easy a skill shot as there is and ANY tanks ultimate can be nullified if you improperly or initiate without your team ready. Next?


Simply put there is just no reward for playing the champions that are easier to make mistakes on. Best case scenario on a hard to play champ is that you equal the output of an easier champ. Worst case scenario, not so good.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

adwark

Senior Member

11-13-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheycallmeX View Post
what happened to games rewarding skill?

sona - best support hands down
warwick - best jungle control hands down
mf - this is the only actual debatable one but shes pretty darn effective and also suprise! easiest ranged carry.
galio- best tank in the game. easiest tank in the game
Well I think you arent that far from being right.

My guess would be:

a)Riot isnt that good at balancing
b)They want less skilled players to play well without regards to what skilled players can do(with easy op heroes)
c)It ties in with their sales plan on some way

Cant think of any other reason to be honest

EDIT:Sona is worst example imo and could be used as an example of how champions should not be made.
Boring,easy to play and best in her class.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

IS186afbf367d955

Senior Member

11-13-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by KalosCast View Post
This should be pretty obvious. If something is easy to use, it's easy to play to its highest potential. Since every champion needs to be balanced, this means that all champions need to be equal when played to their highest potential. Therefore, difficult champions come across as underpowered.

There are a few notable exceptions (Master Yi, for example) that dominate low-play due to their ease and power, but fall behind at higher level play, due to people having a firmer grasp of game mechanics, but this is a short list of champions.
That's true, they just cannot have hard to play champions that are completely OP when played well.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

AriesMajor

Senior Member

11-13-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheycallmeX View Post
what happened to games rewarding skill?

sona - best support hands down
warwick - best jungle control hands down
mf - this is the only actual debatable one but shes pretty darn effective and also suprise! easiest ranged carry.
galio- best tank in the game. easiest tank in the game
League of legends gives you characters with 4 skills each and a passive.....Maybe you're used to playing sesame street online....but where in this game do you need the IQ higher than that of broccoli to actually be skilled at pointing your mouse and hitting qwer?

Super Mario requires more skill than this game, and the Nintendo only had 2 real buttons....


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Onlyashadow

Senior Member

11-13-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phreak View Post
I can give you the other 3, but Galio is far from the easiest tank.

Q and E are skill shots, W requires precise timing and judicious use due to the cooldown, and the ultimate can easily be nullified if you time it improperly or initiate without your team ready.
Yeah and sona's QWE spam requires deep game knowledge, timing, and and exceptional teamwork to pull off.

Now we both made some **** up and put it on the forum


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

OMBlah

Senior Member

11-13-2010

I'd say Amumu and sometimes Rammus give Galio a big run for his money.

There's also Anivia but then again there's Annie.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Damoklese

Senior Member

11-13-2010

Ya know.. about the whole Galio thing...

Part of what makes this such a difficult debate is that any time you try to have a discussion about tanks, a flock of nerds swoops in to point out that whatever character you are talking about isnt a tank, they are in fact a stunning pusher slash tower killer with anti-jungle capabilities, AOE canceling synergy, and pocket decentralized metamorphic antibacterialistic faux-skills. Plus they arent a tank they are just TOUGH.

So any conversation about tanks will inevitably degenerate into an ****-retentive doof contest.

That being said I agree with Phreak. Galio isnt exactly HARD to play but he is far from the easiest. Honestly I dont think there are very many easy tanks to play. All of them take a certain degree of skill. After all your job is to get hit.. and that can always be risky. You need to use your skills properly or you just end up getting blown away.

Your argument would have worked just as well if you had said Garen instead of Galio. Garen is quite possibly the easiest tank to build and play.

Of course by listing Garen as a tank you run the risk of angering the flock of dorks. But thats inevitable anyway.