Learning to CS for non laners

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

RiotHavoc

QA Strategist

05-01-2013
4 of 5 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlackening View Post
...I challenge you; can you stay in your lane for 20 minutes straight, never kill a neutral monster, and never miss even a single cs? 222 is the magic number!...
Great post and I am happy that you have decided to share your experiences with us. Very detailed and in-depth information here, I hope that other's will benefit from this. I know I will be sure to take your advice here and put it to the test. 20 minutes, 222 cs, challenge accepted. Even if it may take a while and I guess I'll have to stream it too or you wont believe me when I eventually complete this challenge! :P http://www.twitch.tv/riothavoc

Mamben

05-01-2013

I Agree with The Blackening, very good post.

Read it!

What has helped me most get very good at CS is :

A. Watch the minions attack each other. Find the sweet spot, and attack before the next minion attack. This way you can last hit a minion even if all 5 of yours are attacking a single minion. You get a feel of when their attacks will land, and estimate when yours will get the lasthit.

B. Learn to hit minions at tower, with above statements, (ie 1 hit from tower for ranged, 2 hits from tower for melee) Unless you have no items, then the rule is hit each one once, and wait for above (1 hit for caster, 2 for melee) and another auto attack for last hit.

C. At each wave, check the map. In between a wave or mini wave (from melee minions to when your minions move to their caster minions) check the map.

D. Use the S button to stop or stand still. This stops your auto attack animaiton, so if you accidentally begin an attack at the wrong time, S, stop, and wait a few more half-seconds, attack again. Great for estimating the sweet spot

E. Check your map after each lasthit.

F. Check your map after each lasthit.

F.2. Check it again. And call out mias you see.

G. Dodge those skill shots =p

Muzha

05-01-2013

its just through practice imo

RipGreenPotFoN

05-01-2013

Just as a few others have explained, all it is is practice. When I watch professional streamers play, I envy how amazing they are at farming under turret. How did they get that way? Practice.

For example, one of my favorite streamers, Voyboy, has around 3500 games on his account. Keep in mind he has smurfs I believe as well as all of his tourney games. He is really good at csing, as any professional player is. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not portraying myself as a horrible player. When I play I usually end up with the highest cs of both teams, but I know I can definitely improve.

Farming in a custom game will not improve your csing as some think it might. In a custom game, you are playing either against a bot, or nobody. In a real game, you have an opposing laner who will be harassing you and roaming. Not to mention you have to watch out for ganks. It makes it much more difficult to farm when you have to scan your minimap constantly and call mias. Again, PRACTICE.

My last tip is don't feel afraid to use your skills to cs. Lots of people are afraid of wasting mana to cs, but remember that 15-20 cs is a kill. Expending mana to get farm is DEFINITELY worth it. An example of this is a Nidalee using her Q to farm. Maybe she ends up getting an extra 10 cs in lane because of it. That gives her a huge advantage against her opposing laner. I've even seen professional Nidalee players use bushwack to make csing easier! I reiterate, using mana to farm is O.K.

Thanks for reading, hope I helped.

peachknight89

05-01-2013

what i do is... usually i would click that minion (left click) and see its health. from there i would calculate my attack damage/ minion fire/ and would auto attack when the heath is low near my attack damage. once you gt the hang if it it will become second nature.

Warrikon

05-01-2013

woah I thought I was in a csamumu... or alteast I think that's what his name was.... thread! :0

CoconutFisherman

05-02-2013

For the first minion waves test your basic attack damage then click on minions so you can see there HP bar and attack when they get low enough.

Jayfeather

05-02-2013

If you have a bunch of ally minions ganging up on one enemy minion, wait for about half the bullets to fly and then shoot your auto so it hits the minion at the right time. In between one wave of minion auto's and the second wave of minion auto's, basically

therock45

05-02-2013

if you are like me you focus on to much to harass ppl instead of cs thats why i suck as olaf

TheBlackening

05-02-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotHavoc View Post
Great post and I am happy that you have decided to share your experiences with us. Very detailed and in-depth information here, I hope that other's will benefit from this. I know I will be sure to take your advice here and put it to the test. 20 minutes, 222 cs, challenge accepted. Even if it may take a while and I guess I'll have to stream it too or you wont believe me when I eventually complete this challenge! :P http://www.twitch.tv/riothavoc
I completely forgot to factor in seige minions! Every 3rd minion wave contains 7, rather than 6, so the actual number is 234! I'll edit my post accordingly, sorry.