Learning to CS for non laners

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Dumpster Dive

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-18-2013

bump

gam3p0t

09-18-2013

I'm loving the tips and hints but am I the only one who feels that the match up in lane matters?
Example I play fizz mid because he's extremely fun and a solid mid pick for me, but I almost always get harassed if I try to freeze neutral or stay exactly mid because almost every mid character I go against has better range for cs; so I tend to let them push and get over confident and either have a gank come my way via my jungler (because they're overextended) or ill wait for them to move up to last hit and immediately land a harass come (w>q> aa or a different variation depending on level and health). This allows me to force them off of the creeps and give me free farm. All these tips are great and I have been practicing them in customs and working towards a goal but should these goals be as "static" for a champion like fizz in comparison to say an ahri or xerath or orianna?? Would you rather try to get the harass off to get free farm since fizz has small range on basically every ability and can't trade as well, or would you put fizz along the lines of a "if you're ahead you're winning the battle" class??

Thanks for all of the tips tricks and hints, this is more of a question based on that one champion (though it can apply to other lanes, ala miss fortune vs Caitlyn, or any other lane where you become vulnerable during cs.)

xCrosser321

Recruiter

09-19-2013

HeavensFlame00

09-19-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archainis View Post
I find CS to be a lot about timing, you have to get your basic attack to connect in the space between when enough other sources of damage (usually other minion attacks) have hit your target, and when too many have hit it (when your target dies). These sorts of timing windows also appear in games like Guitar Hero, DDR or osu!, so playing those games can help train your eyes and coordination if you want practice outside of League.

In terms of farming under turret, here are some of the health estimates that usually apply:
melee minion = 2 turret shots + auto + auto (if less than 80 AD)
caster minion = 1 turret shot + auto + auto (if less than 120 AD)

Finally, once you get the hang of watching the health of opponent minions, try to start watching the health of allied minions too, since that'll let you know when your lane opponents will be approaching to get their own cs. These will be prime opportunities for poke since they'll likely be using their auto attack to kill the minion rather than on you.

Another idea is to try playing Taric or Nunu support and auto to push the lane. The idea here is that you need to auto minions that you can't kill so that you don't steal them from your carry, but still get in some when you can. This gives a good idea of when not to attack the minions, which ends up being the times when you should be attacking the minions as a laner.
I believe it should be auto -two turret shots - auto ~ 80 ad

Fuchsin

09-23-2013

yes

THEeePokerPlayer

09-24-2013

TO gam3p0t:

I main Xerath and fizz middle and although I am not pro I am currently D5 in promo for d4. Lane match up are huge for fizz in the early lvl 1-3 farming. what most dont understand is early CS isnt much even if your behind 12 CS X 20 GpK (2 waves) that only amounts to 250 gold about its not an item of damage worth of gold so its not to worry over. what is to worry over is getting force out of lane bye harass missing exp for fizz that huge as an assasin. I almost always take Flask and 3 HP pots, its the best way to get the most HP out of pots to take heavy harass. I also run 11 rune pages 4 deicated to fizz for every match up. armor seals and MR Glyphs are a big player in handleing early harassment in a hard lane like oriana, kennen, Ahri's lvl 1-3 is stronger than fizz cause of her auto range as well. I take W to help make it easy to farm for lvl 1 and then if u can hit lvl 2 b4 them take Q they synergize so well together most AP mids cant trade with you if u hit lvl 2 b4 they hit lvl 1 and u can then not worry so much about them since they will be 50% after u W>Q>auto>auto and have to play passive. problem is once u attack them the minion waves will attack you and shove your lane so be careful. lol

If you want to learn more on fizz I do stream daily from 8am-2pm PST. http://www.twitch.tv/theeepokerplayer

FearThyWaffles

09-25-2013

I find that getting two of my friends to play a match against me one in lane one in the jungle so that I can practice CSing, harassing, and escaping ganks all in one session and ill do this in all sorts of different laning situations it really helps me out a lot so I would definitely suggest trying it.

Tabaerius

09-30-2013

First make a custom game with just you (no teammates or opponents), pick your champion, and enter the lane of your choice. Without enemy champs harassing you, you can focus 100% on last hits. Once you get good enough at that, try a technique called freezing the lane. It means you are getting all the last hits while not allowing your lane to push in either direction. Without any enemy champions, it is very simple. When your lane starts to push towards the enemy turret (this will naturally happen even when last hitting because your last hits help to gradually unbalance the minion stalemate) you can push your lane back by getting in front of your own cannon minion and stop it from attacking the enemy minions. This will push your lane back so you dont have to worry about the turret.
Now things get more complex when there are enemy champions in your lane. They will attempt to harass you and prevent you from getting last hits. If they are heavily harassing you and you cant take one step towards the minions without getting your health bar demolished, you need to ask for your jungler or support to come gank them. After that, they will probably think twice before pushing the lane hard. If you are a ranged champ, you should take advantage of that and counter-harass them. If you are melee, this can be a bit tricky. If your ranged enemy laner is pretty squishy, you can flash over, use your ability combos, and run back out. Since flash has a pretty long cooldown, it is much easier if you have an initiative ability such as Master Yi's Alpha Strike. After dropping them to low health, and making sure the nearby ganking entries are warded, you can proceed to take some health off their first tower. Hope this helps, i kinda packed a lot of info into a small comment.

Vintage KevKev

Senior Recruiter

09-30-2013

Here should be a good tip:

Try to practice/Get use to massive clicking your mouse movement and also try to carefully focus your minions health that you want to last hit. It helps ALOT to practice last hitting in custom games and the massive clicking constantly will help your reflexes. Give it a try, it might help you out.

Kowan

10-01-2013

I don't know how i feel about this