Learning to CS for non laners

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ROKAF JE

04-30-2013

15-16 AD on champions that can properly utilize it, coupled with a few points in offense, will make gathering CS a dream.

If you enjoy mages, practicing with Karthus and Anivia will make almost all other champions auto attack farming feel like a breeze.

Hawkingbird

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-30-2013

I play a lot of Co-Op vs AI (Intermediate) and I find it a good place to learn farming if you can get a full premade (you often get matched with people who want to go ham on the bots, which isnt good for you learning to farm). The intermediates will often push the lane so you need to freeze or farm under turret. Keep a tract of your farm at the 10/20/30 minute marks and try to beat them each time. My goals are:

1. get 4 CS in each wave
2. never miss a cannon minion
2a. never go back home if there is a cannon wave incoming (look at your incoming wave to check)

I think everyone has their own style of practice and you just need to work out what is best for you.

EDIT: Didn't mention anything about actually getting that last hit, but a lot of posts have talked about mechanics of getting that last hit and they are pretty sound advice.

BeastOG

04-30-2013

Until you get used to it, try using AD reds and Quints. These are good for early game anyway, and will serve to help you with your last hitting as well. You could also take the minion damage mastery in offense if you so choose. Honestly though, the best way to get the hang of it is practice. Go into custom matches with a friend (preferably one with good experience and patience when it comes to teaching others), and practice it. It will be a lot different than a bot match, because you will need to get the hang of harassing and lane freezing as well. Just rinse and repeat until it becomes second nature to you. One more tip, remember that some champs have skills that reset their auto attacks. This is really helpful when you need to farm minions in quick succession.

TackyBoomsta

04-30-2013

There's been a lot of good points thus far, but I just want to add that the different minion types have different gold values to match how easy they are to kill. Caster minions are worth slightly less gold than melee minions, and siege minions are worth substantially more than either one. If you find yourself in a position where two minions are being worn down at the same time, it's always more lucrative to kill a melee minion over a caster. It's also usually safer, since melee minions move farther toward your turret so you don't have to extend as far to get them.

Siege minions are a special case, as they only spawn every 3/2 waves (depending on where you are in the match), are more resistant to damage, and yield far more gold. They tend to be trickier to finish off, since their resistances make them harder to kill with the same amount of health left than a melee or caster would be, but well worth it if you time it right. If you're playing a champion with an ability that has a low mana cost and a good bit of damage, such as Ezreal's Q or Kha'Zik's Q, it can often be beneficial to spend some mana to ensure that you receive the boosted gold.

GaviNNN

04-30-2013

I'm actually playing a custom by myself right now. From what I read, 114 creeps spawn throughout 10 minutes. My 1st and only game so far I got 94. Just keep practicing till you can get 110-114

Rimed Riesling

04-30-2013

For CSing a lot has to be factored into account, here are a few things:

Damage is obvious. Knowing how much damage is required to get the CS factoring in all your modifiers is pretty essential, with Masteries (Spellblade, Butcher), Passives (Orianna's Windup, Varus's Blight Quiver), and Buffs and Items (Red Buff and Spirit of the Elder Lizard) there are multiple factoring into just how much one attack will do, just become familiar with the numbers.

Attack Speed animation is also a major factor. Every champion has a different attack speed animation this varies from champions of all types, melee and ranged alike. For instance let's compare Anivia and LeBlanc in these terms. Anivia's attack animation is undoubtedly slow, huge windup and the projectile takes forever to actually reach it's target. Leblanc's animation is snappy with the projectile be quite fast hitting the target mere milliseconds after it leaves the staff. As such Anivia players have to micro the creep's health a lot more than a LeBlanc player.

Range of your basic attack is also very key, especially if you are ranged. Knowing how close you have to be to even have the attack animation go off can really make or break CSing. Back to Anivia, although her Attack Speed is quite slow, she can actually CS from a 600 range, this allows her to stay behind minions without much risk of becoming creep blocked.

Movement Speed is the final factor. This applies to Melee champion (imo) more than ranged. The ability to skirt around enemy attack ranges while you get CS not only helps your income but how safe you are in lane.

Challenge!: With these four factors in mind, you should be able to practice CSing with any champion. If you just bought a new champion I would highly suggest bringing them into Co-Op vs AI or a Custom game just to get used to CSing. Then try your hand at trying to get 100 CS in 10 minutes with that champion. If you want to real challenge take a champion with a very slow attack animations and low damage (Anivia is perfect for this) and take on the challenge.
---

TL;DR - : Damage, Attack Speed, Range, and Movement Speed all factor into CSing. Practice CSing on Anivia, best way to learn.

RiotHavoc

QA Strategist

04-30-2013
2 of 5 Riot Posts

Some of these posts are super helpful. I should supply some context for my personal interest. I'm a pretty bad laner. As I said in my original post, I main jungle and that's all I play. I have great map awareness and can call ganks pretty well, so I don't need to worry about the other parts of laning but those are still important for others that don't have jungle experience.

I thought it would be useful for us to talk about good things we can try to get better at specific things on SR, in this case CSing! I'll have to try out custom games, that seems like a lonely way to learn to get better. Anyone have some other suggestions?

Insidous

04-30-2013

Imo the only way to get better at csing is to just keep doing it over and over. doing it in game when u dont hv somone shooting at u and worrying about the jungle will help to a point. but u need that other element of hving to worry about. There is not a really easy way but to just keep doing it over and over. dont watch the pros doing it it will make u think u can cs like them. they make it look easy and will give u false imfo on ur true skill of csing. Just be hard on urself and keep doing it. Just remeber the best ppl at csing was once in ur shoes.

ploki122

04-30-2013

As counter-intuitive as it may seems, I learned to CS by supporting...

Basically, what you have to do when you support is :
1. Keep your carry alive, ward the river, etc. but those are irrelevant for now. This is basically the time that you spend not farming.
2. Check the map for missing enemies and incoming ganks or other weird schemes. This relates to the map awareness factor for the ADC.
3. Poke at enemies to try and zone them away. This is equivalent to trading as an ADC.
4. Prepare the ADC's creeps under tower. If you know he can't 1-hit them, make sure he can. This means that you will learn outrageously fast how to cs under

tower, since now you have to know what your and his damages are and make sure to land your attacks before his, yet not too soon to make sure the minions don't screw it all up.
5. Always keep an eye on the lane in general. Knowing both your and your ADC's position vs minions and similar for the enemy team is important when planning
your trades, since they are an insane part of your damage. This one plainly translates as farming when you're ADC. If you know when your ADC should farm when you're a support, you'll know when you should farm as an ADC.

So yeah, I find that the best way to learn to farm is to not farm apparently. Also, the few times you have to clear minions without pushing, it really helps with early CSing, since last-hitting minions with like 1.5 times minions' damage is never an easy task (ever seen a support sona csing? Even pros have a hard time getting more than 50%).

Swippinfrafes

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-30-2013

While it's not quite the same as an autoattack since it has a much longer cooldown, last hitting with Annie's Q can put you in the right mindset for getting CS. Since the mana cost is refunded if it last hits, it provides an easy way to keep track of your consistency.