Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Insititue of war no longer cannon

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Vongeo

05-30-2013

Quote:
RuneKatashima:
It not being canon is what I've heard from sources inside Riot. That said, it's retarded. Mostly because they're just retconning it because they're bad writers. From what I know it's mostly because Summoners are too powerful.

What sources are these?

I'll be done then, I can't support Riot if they can't support a good story.

I am Razgriz

05-30-2013

Quote:
Vongeo:
What sources are these?

I'll be done then, I can't support Riot if they can't support a good story.

If I thought I could say so I'd have just said it. You don't have to trust me or anything, but he REALLY hates the current lore.

Eserine

06-01-2013

I linked to a discussion of this very problem in my last post, with cited hyperlinks!

Kitae on what she will change about LoL lore:

Quote:
Another tournament IP problem is the idea that the LoL universe's summoners control everything. With the super-powerful sorcerers steering fate, the Champions don't have any sense of agency. They're just fighting for reasons that someone else tells them.

http://kotaku.com/5960965/whats-wrong-with-league-of-legends

No more "League of Legends" or summoners. As I wrote, during my long-ago request to her superiors that she be fired immediately:

Quote:
Eserine:

The idea is that summoners are attempting to control international conflict, much like the U.N. attempts the same thing on Earth. If that is a problem, why not just kill the super-powerful sorcerers within the story instead of erasing the entire accepted history of multiple characters and the entire premise of the game? With no champion ever again to be described as joining the League of Legends, or any past champion revised to mention anything similar, and the Journal of Justice to be deleted, shall we just retitle this game "Legends Randomly Meeting to Fight In a Field"? The former map shopkeeper "Gonzo" wore a robe denoting possible allegiance to the academy, today it was announced that the new shopkeeper is to have a nomadic merchant wagon behind him complete with a "Yonkey", as though he were a traveling salesman from Bandle City, simply passing by with a giant load of incredible magical artifacts and weapons when a skirmish suddenly began (hundreds of thousands of times each month)!

etc.

Ergo... (http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?p=38305901#post38305901)

I am Razgriz

06-01-2013

Hah, you had the same idea I had Eserine. I had already thought up an entire plot based on destroying the Summoners of the League and in general the institute. 'Twas quite epic actually. I think retconning this situation is terrible but they won't listen to us because they know people will still play and that's all that matters to them.

Eserine

06-01-2013

Nika Harper recently began a rather shallow video blog on creative writing, ostensibly in the style of HotforWords (https://www.youtube.com/user/hotforwords?feature=watch), seemingly in order to enhance her income and name-recognition within the affluent "Geek and Sundry" community.

I found it amusing to imagine that she was referring to members of the lore department however when she was discussing people coming to talk to her about the difficulties of writing, only to have her cut off in an edit mid-sentence:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-p32NSYA-w&feature=youtu.be&t=25s

"It takes a lot of bravery to share what you write, and every time I do it people come to me and they say, you know I write but..."

"...what comes out inevitably is the worst videogame lore in human history, and I'm not sure how much longer I can continue with this charade of artistic viability without burning out and running off in a drug-fueled binge of the seediest unnamed Mexican w.horehouses and crack dens, where in a clean black haze of unthinking darkness I will cover myself in coat-hangered tattoos of animals and dance and vomit out all the disappointments the world has heaped upon my incompetent shortcomings as a failed creator, until finally merciful death will embrace me with its soft blanket of anonymous finality, and it will at last, at last be over!"

fibblins

06-04-2013

I think it's a shame that the Institute and summoners are being phased out. I enjoyed reading league judgements.

Doom Puppy

06-04-2013

Maybe it's because what's going on in Freljord is an internal conflict? It is essentially civil war, and the League is supposed to regulate international disputes. Sejuani is also not really seen as a major threat by most people, and Ashe seems determined to keep it that way. As for Lissandra, I doubt the League has any clue whatsoever about her plans. If LeBlanc and Swain can hide things from the summoners, a millenia old Ice Witch sure can.

Schamanee

06-04-2013

Quote:
Doom Puppy:
As for Lissandra, I doubt the League has any clue whatsoever about her plans. If LeBlanc and Swain can hide things from the summoners, a millenia old Ice Witch sure can.

Yet, it was different. Lately the Creative Team has this terrible habit of "Letting us image how things have happened", namely how Champions got into the League, what are their reasons and why they stray under the Summoners' control while most of the latecomers are pretty much chaotic or evil beings. (Aatrox is too).

With Swain and LeBlanc they TOLD us their motives.

Swain desires to kill Jarvan IV and wants to seize power over Noxus (which he ultimately accomplished). His character is well explained, both trough his Background and Judgement (Both him and Jarvan have the best ones).

LeBlanc wants to see the Black Rose "bloom" once more. They (She and Jericho) want to restore what was taken from them by Boram Darkwill.

Now, what do we know about Lissandra, Tresh, Zed, or the soon to come Aatrox?

Literally nothing, aside from their past. Their characters are frozen until something (IF something) will happen. We literally have no clue about their actions or goals, despite Riot telling us that we'll "figure them out ourselves". Needless to say, this isn't healthy for the, already fragile, Lore of the game.

As it stands now the new Champions are mainly linked by rivalries (Zed - Shen/ Lissandra - Ashe & Sejuani/) or, similiarly, affiliations (Aatrox - Tryndamere, Tresh & Shadow Isles lot, Vi - Caitlyn) and JUST THAT. As I said before, everything else is unknown to us, "shelved" until something really cool (which might even take years, like this Freljord event) arises to bring them into the spotlight. A few exceptions exist, of course, like Quinn & Valor, which use a style that reminds of the JoJ.

So... To cut it here, either bring the JoJ back, or improve your storytelling :/

Eserine

06-09-2013

I made a longer list:

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?p=38582441&posted=1#post38581997

Firlyean

06-10-2013

The League doesn't have to interfere with anything. When Noxus invaded Ionia, the League didn't do jack (although it was because Ionia had yet to join the League). Now as Freljord falls into civil war, the war is localised and consists of only the smallest city state of them all, I doubt Freljord will be an issue that'll grow to the point that all of Valoran becomes destroyed. LoL was established to make sure another Rune war doesn't happen so the world won't become destroyed. The Freljord civil war is small fry compared to a rune war. Also, the Freljord conflict is internal, not external, the League technically has no jurisdiction. Now, if Noxus was invading Freljord or something, then yes, the League will step in to stop the conflict. League will only stop two city states from fighting each other, but not one from fighting itself.