Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Insititue of war no longer cannon

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Vongeo

04-30-2013

With the slew of new lore and deaths and things and thongs and bios and Bildgewater(except not)

I have noticed, and others have too, that the institute of war, summoners, and matches in the league have not been mention for a long time (since jayce's bio?). Meanwhile conflict begins in the Freljord that hopes to end the world in ice.

Shouldn't the institute of war, who's goal is not to end the world and prevent rune war type issues make a presence?

My guess is that its not making a presence because its no longer cannon, and there is no reason for any of what we do in the game or the game itself.

What do you think?

kianistus

04-30-2013

Could be that the league is too thinly spread to deal with such a remote conflict. The league was originally created to settle disputes primarily between Noxus and Demacia, the too super powers of Valoran, and then it grew to encompass more. (e.g. the (now) shadow isles, and the crystal scar). So in that sense it might just be that the league is not capable of expanding their influence to the Freljord.

Alternatively, the proving grounds was reworked into its own field of justice for the Freljord. Which could implicitly indicate that the league is somehow influencing or controlling the manner of the conflict in the north.

Vongeo

04-30-2013

The league has been used to settle minor land disputes between piltover and noxus. Pretty sure summoners of immense power are vested in a war that could kill three of there play things.

Edit: I realized more than Ashe, Sej, and Lissandra were from the freljord now, so like 10ish playthings.

Kraussaus

04-30-2013

Its more likely to say that the League won't stop this war, rather than can't. The thoughts of freedom and peace for Freljord are what originally brought Ash to the Institute of War. The samecan go for Sejuani; even though the steps toward that goal will result in conflict between the two, their sights are set on a similar prize. In short, it is this very conflict that brought them to the Institute.

Perhaps this is why the League will not step up. For fear of losing two great assets when the goal has been claimed. Both champions seek to use the League for what they believe is the greater good, and perhaps the League had been keeping them there with false hopes and promises.
From what I've seen, the League won't help in this war, for fear of what might happen, yet they can't stop it either, for the League is the place to go to fight after all.

Lissandra, on the other hand, is an "unknown" to the likes of the League, and for that she is feared. Now the League is at an impasse, which is even more frightening. By their laws and regulations, the Institute cannot create any force outside of sanctioned conflicts. not only does this mean that the League cannot stop her, but they have to give her rights to a sanctioned battle, which ultimately comes down to the fact that Lissandra will have an equal footing in the upcoming war.

I suppose in the "peace" that had been created by the League of Legends, they are unprepared for the war that is to come.

Axinhed

04-30-2013

Good theories and good points to all.

But it's missing the point here. The League isn't being mentioned period, as if it never existed at all. No Institute of War, no summoners, no League of Legends. There's been almost no mention of it in the new lores. Not in Quinn's Journals, nor the champion bios (even Udyr's new lore made no mention of the Noxus vs Ionia match, which was done in the League).

It's as if they're trying to marginalise the League or trying to ignore it out of existence. Which is weird given the name of the game we're playing.

Xocolatl

Recruiter

04-30-2013

Quote:
Axinhed:

But it's missing the point here. The League isn't being mentioned period, as if it never existed at all. No Institute of War, no summoners, no League of Legends. There's been almost no mention of it in the new lores. Not in Quinn's Journals, nor the champion bios (even Udyr's new lore made no mention of the Noxus vs Ionia match, which was done in the League).

It's as if they're trying to marginalise the League or trying to ignore it out of existence. Which is weird given the name of the game we're playing.

The League is kinda like major sports league here on Earth--you participate for supremacy, and that is all well and good. But one is able to quit at any time.

I would venture a guess that the champions with vested interest in their homelands could just up and leave to go bonk heads back home instead, especially because Lissandra is not the type to play by the rule.
Then maybe after a few months, they would realize that they will have much less casualties to their tribes if they just come back and settle things with the League. That is how the League was born to begin with--Noxus and Demacia finally realized that all out war just ain't good for either side, so they setup the League. They didn't force any of their champions into it, and both still have very large standing army, ready to decimate each other at a given (or even without) notice. The conflict over Crystal Scar is a testament to that.

Beyond anything, be prepared for a themed tourney and new item/skins to celebrate victors like the Ionian-Noxus fight.

Axinhed

04-30-2013

Quote:
Xocolatl:
The League is kinda like major sports league here on Earth--you participate for supremacy, and that is all well and good. But one is able to quit at any time.

I would venture a guess that the champions with vested interest in their homelands could just up and leave to go bonk heads back home instead, especially because Lissandra is not the type to play by the rule.
Then maybe after a few months, they would realize that they will have much less casualties to their tribes if they just come back and settle things with the League. That is how the League was born to begin with--Noxus and Demacia finally realized that all out war just ain't good for either side, so they setup the League. They didn't force any of their champions into it, and both still have very large standing army, ready to decimate each other at a given (or even without) notice. The conflict over Crystal Scar is a testament to that.

Beyond anything, be prepared for a themed tourney and new item/skins to celebrate victors like the Ionian-Noxus fight.

By "they" I mean the lore writers and not the people of Valoran.

Son of the Stone

04-30-2013

Quote:
Axinhed:

This thought is extremely concerning to me. First of all, the League is, or rather was, the only reason that Valoran has had peace for any length of time. If the League is gone, Noxus and Demacia are going to go at it full swing, resulting in another Rune War. Also, the League was the justification for champions being able to respawn and not starting out at full power, as well as containing some of the more dangerous champions like Brand and Nocturne. Now it seems as if we are running headlong into "excuse plot" territory.

I'm not going to say Riot's lore team didn't put thought into its new content in recent months (despite some of the disagreements I have had). It feels, however, as though the new team has no respect for the work of previous employees, calling the old lore "disjointed" and "dead-end" and making no real effort to work with it (with the exception of affirming Udyr's importance to the Rematch). There is another writer I know of who engages in the same behavior, with less than positive feedback: Matt Ward of Games Workshop.

Without the League present anymore, why even still call it the League of Legends? Sheer laziness?

Vongeo

05-01-2013

Quote:
Son of the Stone:
This thought is extremely concerning to me. First of all, the League is, or rather was, the only reason that Valoran has had peace for any length of time. If the League is gone, Noxus and Demacia are going to go at it full swing, resulting in another Rune War. Also, the League was the justification for champions being able to respawn and not starting out at full power, as well as containing some of the more dangerous champions like Brand and Nocturne. Now it seems as if we are running headlong into "excuse plot" territory.

I'm not going to say Riot's lore team didn't put thought into its new content in recent months (despite some of the disagreements I have had). It feels, however, as though the new team has no respect for the work of previous employees, calling the old lore "disjointed" and "dead-end" and making no real effort to work with it (with the exception of affirming Udyr's importance to the Rematch). There is another writer I know of who engages in the same behavior, with less than positive feedback: Matt Ward of Games Workshop.

Without the League present anymore, why even still call it the League of Legends? Sheer laziness?

That second paragraph is how I feel. Seeing posts from Riot Babaganoosh and how much the JoJ has in there, there is no way there wasn't some big Idea for where the lore was going. I hate when they down talk the old stuff, not that it was perfect, but it was still amazing.

OriginalA

05-01-2013

I agree with this thread's title. The Institute of War is, in fact, a building and not an artillery piece.

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD! There is only TWO 'N's in CANON.

THIS IS A CANNON:
http://cdn2.planetminecraft.com/files/resource_media/screenshot/1225/Cannon_2646653.jpg

Use your words. CANON. not Cannon.

CANNON BANNED. ... If any one gets that terrible pun claim your heart piece.