[FEATURED] Behavior Alerts - Nudging players back on track

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

FreshZzZ

05-10-2013

fianlly a system that can start to positify the world...LEAGUE PEACE

Yhufir

05-10-2013

I am genuinely sorry for sounding so negative. I do appreciate the effort that must have gone into this. It's not an unsound measure. And it is nice to have feedback. But it brings to mind the scene from Demolition Man (Stallone and Snipes) when he's trying to go to the bathroom. He apparently cant figure out the futuristic "3-shells" ass-wiping system so starts swearing repeatedly to get the citation tickets from the language monitoring system to use as toilet paper.

NightFire666

05-10-2013

Dude.. You misspelled Competitive..

Toxic.. Only game I have ever played that basically banned competitive players.

Oh and if you don't build the way it's been laid out? Banned

DIsagree with Riot? Downvotes+Ban

Disagree with (Insert "Pro" player name here) Downvotes +Ban.

This game...

CavemanOhnen

05-10-2013

so will this affect what people are matched? because right now, matchmaking sucks complete donkey balls. Honestly, i dont give 2 ****s about this, unless it starts matching me with more positive teammates. i am so tired of being matched with terrible and ******* teammates.

Razgriz86

05-10-2013

Thank the lord, I'm not a toxic player or a "Abusive" one, I got all the ribbons (as most as everyone else) but man did Lyte hit the nail on the head, I work as a prison guard, so trolling and most bs by the time I get home is very limited, and I have short patience for people who act like jerks. I know it's wrong but I sometimes step out my square and be like okay since I suck, Have a good day, -Afk- or just not try as hard. I wish they had in-game monitoring, As in like. You start cussing rapidly, the game warns you "HEY cool it!" and if you keep on, it'll just Mute you. That would be awesome too.

NoYou GetaLife

05-10-2013

Lyte sucks

Obizzle

05-10-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
Hey Summoners,

In a future patch, we'll be releasing a feature called Behavioral Alerts. This system will detect spikes of negative behavior (i.e if a player is having a particularly bad day or week) and fire an in-game client warning to the player; we hope that these alerts will give players appropriate feedback about their behaviors before they travel too far down the negative path. We believe that these warnings will prevent a significant number of people from ever being punished by player behavior systems; more importantly, we believe that these warnings will make a difference in the large number of Neutral and Positive players that have rare bad days of toxicity, but previously never got feedback to nudge them back towards the positive.
If I may ask, how will this "feedback" be appropriate? I see nothing in the screenshot that tells the individual specific examples of their "negative behavior" (can we get an operation definition please) and no examples or models of an appropriate replacement behavior. From your screenshot there is no "feedback."
My next issue with this part of the announcement is the the term "Prevent". This strategy is a reactive strategy, I don't understand how a reactive strategy can prevent a behavior (especially when there are no immediate consequences.)

Quote:
Research suggests that having strong feedback loops can have a dramatic positive effect on behavior; in this case, the ability to quickly and effectively deliver feedback to players as soon as they exhibit behaviors that are out of line with the vast majority of players in League of Legends could be enough to get these players back on track. An example of feedback loops in action were Reform Cards, which provided more feedback to players about why they were being punished by the Tribunal---this feedback improved average reform rates by 7.8%.
Where is your research suggesting this? I have been unable to find any literature to suggest this intervention will be effective.
The theory behind behavior change requires you have a consequence for a behavior change system to work, with a feedback loop I see none.
Also, how will making a player "aware" they engaged in some behavior that was reported change the future occurrence of that behavior? You need to TEACH them an appropriate replacement behavior and then reinforce the use of that behavior.

Basically, I am concerned your department to change behavior has no idea on effect behavior change practices at a systems level.

Scrotum Tuck

05-10-2013

92% positive or neutral, only 1% toxic......? Try the other way around.

I think riot has their numbers a bit skewed......

AtmogsAllDay

05-11-2013

Quote:
Similar to the Tribunal, Unskilled Player reports will never fire an alert.
Why does it even exist then?

Psychidryne

05-11-2013

Oh man, thank you. I've been thinking for months that in-client warnings are overdue.

The majority of players do not read their emails, they will not see your email warning.