[FEATURED] Behavior Alerts - Nudging players back on track

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Skyhawke

04-29-2013

Thanks Lyte!

I know you mentioned earlier that you were afraid non-toxic players might see this feedback and worry about it too much. Is there anything about this system that helps account for that possibility, or did y'all decide that the positives outweighed the possible negatives?

Lyte

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Lead Social Systems Designer

Follow RiotLyte on Twitter

04-29-2013
3 of 47 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdvilAftergame View Post
How many message's does a user receive before they are sent to the tribunal?
There isn't a fixed number; it varies from person to person depending on the severity of the behaviors, and how frequently they get them.

Capnredbeard

04-29-2013

Lyte, I love all the work the team has been putting into improving behavior. I would consider myself a neutral player, as I rarely communicate in games besides pings.

If I may, I would like to suggest one small change to these popups. Many people go into a blind clicking mode when trying to get to their goal, in this case, getting into their next game. I think this popup will go largely unnoticed by clicking without reading. If you added a feature that required players to at least acknowledge the popup happened, that should increase the chances that they actually read it. Simply adding something like "Type "ok" if you understand what you read." or something along those lines.

KimKelley

04-29-2013

Wasn't the original objection to this idea that it would create a system whereby true trolls would know how to coast on the system?

Ornan

04-29-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
The majority of members on the player behavior team is working on spotlighting more positive behaviors and improving the experiences of neutral and positive players; however, a part of the player behavior team will continue to optimize feedback loops for both negative and positive behaviors. Providing better feedback about negative behaviors ensures that players can adjust their behavior before they end up too far down the negative path.
I appreciate it Lyte. Sometimes my nerves can get the best of us and we could use a subtle little reminder to vent our anger someplace else.

Lyte

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-29-2013
4 of 47 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyhawke View Post
Thanks Lyte!

I know you mentioned earlier that you were afraid non-toxic players might see this feedback and worry about it too much. Is there anything about this system that helps account for that possibility, or did y'all decide that the positives outweighed the possible negatives?
Yes, a lot of math behind the scenes tries to ensure that the player being sent an alert is genuinely showing a pattern of negative behavior, and the reports filed by players are legitimate reports.

Lyte

04-29-2013
5 of 47 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimKelley View Post
Wasn't the original objection to this idea that it would create a system whereby true trolls would know how to coast on the system?
Because the system doesn't fire a fixed number of alerts before a punishment, a toxic player will have absolutely no information about how to skirt the line--no line is ever shown, and the frequency and timing of the alerts are difficult to reverse engineer to figure out where a line would be. Alerts are also tailored per player, so a toxic player might be sent to Tribunal after just 1 alert while another player might receive 10 alerts, and never reach the Tribunal.

BruisingPrune

04-29-2013

What is stopping toxic players from using this system as a gauge on how close they are to getting to the tribunal?

edit: shen'd

EksuEith

04-29-2013

In brazil its the oposite,92% is toxic and the other 8% are actually really cool people

MichaeI Jaxon

04-29-2013

Well this helps I guess.