Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

High Gold Player’s Analysis of Bronze and Silver Leagues

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

1v9GG

04-27-2013

As an experiment, I decided to start my smurf (http://www.lolking.net/summoner/na/39932347#history) in bronze V to show how easy it is to carry. If you're wondering if I got trolls, the answer is an astounding, YES! I had one game where an Alister would only say “niqqa” as he doubled mid with me. All he did all game was zone the enemy mid and make it impossible to get fed and snowball off of him. (He even gave first/ second blood)

Did we lose? Yes. The difference between me and other players, however, is that I don’t let that carry over to the next game. I don’t say I only get trolls in solo que and rage at every chance I get. What I got in my games were bronze players. That’s all: nothing more, nothing less. 99% of them were not there to lose or feed the enemy. I’m sure they wanted to win at least 75% as much as I did. The thing is, though, they’re bronze, and they just don’t know how.

And that’s where I came in. I came to win. If I wasn’t there and it was only bronze players, each team would have only have 50% chance to win, a simple flip of a coin. What I did was make my team’s chance of winning increase to an amazing 90%, just by being there with my team, with some of the knowledge I’m about to give you. If you want to win, take this advice. Quit being a little ***** and saying you only get trolls and afkers, and LEARN the game.

Bronze

Improving in Champ Select

1. Ranked isn’t about playing new champions. It’s about playing what you know. Never use a ranked game to learn a new champion. By doing so, you’re putting yourself at a disadvantage. And people at a disadvantage don’t improve their odds of winning. (This includes going onto counter websites and finding a counterpick. The truth is counterpicks don’t matter unless the two players are equally skilled. I’ve beaten countless counters because they had no idea how to play the champions they’re playing)

2. If you just have to pick a solo lane first, pick SAFE champions. You have no idea how many ranked games I’ve seen lost because a solo laner had to pick twisted fate first, only to get counter picked and smashed in lane. It’s really simple: how are you going to carry four others if you’re losing lane hard? It creates dependence on your team and dependence on your team in solo que is never a good thing.

3. THINK about what you’re picking. If a champion doesn’t put you at a great disadvantage in lane and it would improve your team fights dramatically, pick it. For example, let’s say the enemy has 3 ap champions and you’re playing support. Soraka would obviously be a better pick than Taric for your team fights. Sure, Taric might be able to get some kills in lane, but it’s not guaranteed. What is guaranteed that during that game you will be team fighting at one point and that magic resist aura will benefit your team much more than a 1.5 second stun and armor aura. Another example is when the enemy has 3 auto attackers. Can you say malphite with randuins and frozen heart, anyone?

Improving Early Game
1. People in this elo do not want to win. They just SIMPLY do not create advantages for themselves. For example, during the time 1:40 to 1:55, people would just sit in their lane and not help the jungler. The damage this does to your team’s early game is HUGE. 100 health early game could be the difference between your jungler being able to gank and get that first blood that snowballs the game, or not being able to gank at all. (Not to mention the times a jungler has died ganking while the enemy gets away with 1 health)

2. Then there’s the people who don’t take advantage of a character’s early game. If you’re playing Riven, that level 2 is POWERFUL. Try taking a wraith camp to get it first. Enemies in this ELO won’t back off when you're level 2 like a better player would, meaning you can easily get first blood or cost your enemy their health. Keep in mind, sustain costs money. Doing 400 damage to an enemy costs them 105 gold in health pots PLUS they now have to play passively, which means you get a BONUS for all of the cs they have to miss and the FREE cs you get.

3. And then there are the teams who do not take advantage of the strength of their early invade. If you have snares, spammable abilities, or cc, it’s probably a good idea to invade. If you catch someone out of position, which you probably will because it’s bronze, that first blood advantage could snowball the game in your teams favor. Not to mention the added bonus of the enemy jungler being behind in xp and gold.

Improving Laning Phase

1.People in bronze have no understanding of laning phase at all. If my team pulled an invade, we would still have bot lane/ top with us at 2 minutes into the game, getting behind in their respective lanes. They simply don’t understand how important xp is to the game. Think of it like this: Each level gives you hundreds of gold in stats. If you have that kind of advantage over an enemy, it improves your chances of getting a kill and putting them behind in lane.

2. Your starting items are easily one of the most IMPORTANT decisions you make all game. Your start items could be the difference between losing your lane hard or winning it. People in this elo tend to be stuck in season 1 and 2 with their start items. It’s no longer about boots-3 or doran’s items, it’s about sustain: 2 wards and 9 pots, etc.

1v9GG

04-28-2013

This is saved for further content. (If you guys want more, then you have to let know. Otherwise I think I'll be wasting my time)

1v9GG

04-28-2013

Also saved for later

LaxAce

04-28-2013

I'm interested to hear more. +1

1v9GG

04-29-2013

I am sad.

Amatzikahni

04-29-2013

I also just see bad mechanics when smurfing with various people. Players simply AA down lanes instead of trying to CS, then when someone on the other team has 3 kills they claim it's impossible to come back. When easy fights can be won, players back off, and when there are clearly four players coming to gank them, they charge and run through turrets to try and grab that kill on the low-health Singed. When they're up, they don't pressure or push the lane to do other objectives, and when the team groups and can't push, they don't try to steal some jungle farm or run to other lanes. When the enemies group up, they continue farming and watch their own turrets die. Simply put, every decision comes late and is usually played incorrectly. Just understanding gold values of certain objectives would make so many players think twice about what they're currently doing. I also think a lot of it has to deal with not knowing the extend of their champ's abilities or their opponents', but so many players are focused on learning champs that they overlook learning the basics of the game: to win.

Shattered Clock

04-29-2013

So I see you play mid and top. Any advice for us support players beyond "ward more."

I'll admit that if I played other roles I'd probably win more, but I can never seem to convince people that call roles that I can mid/top just fine. Jungle is alright, but needs work and my ADC ability sucks mad D.

Selcopa

04-30-2013

Quote:
Kandyvag:
So I see you play mid and top. Any advice for us support players beyond "ward more."

I'll admit that if I played other roles I'd probably win more, but I can never seem to convince people that call roles that I can mid/top just fine. Jungle is alright, but needs work and my ADC ability sucks mad D.

Harass, zone, do everything it takes to get the win

1v9GG

04-30-2013

Quote:
Kandyvag:

Actually, I went Riven and Irelia mid. They slice through squishies like butter.

I would suggest something like going attack damage reds on soraka and poking the enemy ADC all of the time. Typically, people at that elo don't understand the concept of sustain and the importance of levels, which means they would be more than willing to back base. Remember, each level provides hundreds of gold worth of stats. It's very, very important to get xp.

Overlord Heian

04-30-2013

Quote:
Kandyvag:

For me, the hardest part about being ADC is positioning in teamfights. ADC really relies on their team to let them work - I've seen fed ADCs fail and underfarmed ADCs succeed depending on whether or not their team can control the enemy enough. I usually gravitate toward Varus in those cases, because his ult can afford some control, and can catch somebody out.

Jungle can get a lot done, but it's rarely appreciated. You can help, but you can't stop your bottom lane from overextending. Hell, I'll even ward lazy lanes, but it doesn't mean they'll pay attention to it. If the ADC dies, there's always a good chance that it's the "jungle's fault" - even if they died while pushing the turret. Just need to have your eye on the whole team at once, cover lanes, and recognize where their jungle is going - some of my best ganks have been catching their jungle waiting to jump a lane.

Top... ward top. People jump on top lane and then refuse to ward. Top is the easiest lane to gank. Bot is more likely to ward, having a support, and mid is a short lane so you really need to dish it out fast. But so many overconfident goons hoard top.