[Guide] Twisted Fate, AP Carry Style

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

FearsomeFunk

12-08-2009

Intro

Twisted Fate, at the moment, is one of the strongest champions in the game. His versatility is completely off the charts, making him an obvious pick at nearly every ELO range. There are builds focusing on DPS lane domination, builds that hybridize AP and DPS for the best of both worlds, and there are builds that focus on straight AP. In this short, to-the-point guide I will be focusing on the latter.

I'm going to assume one has a bit of foreknowledge about how Twisted Fate operates.

Abilities
Q - Wild Cards
This will be your bread and butter damage ability in this build. At level 5 you should be taking off huge chunks of your opponents life with this skill alone.

W - Pick-a-Card
This is your bread and butter utility/initiation spell. I don't have to say that you need to be able to reliably pick Gold, but I suppose I just did ^.^

**tip: always use blue card spam to take turrets down quickly**

E - Gate
Short cd teleport. The ability that makes you a threat to the enemy team anytime, anywhere.

R - Destiny
Global enemy slow, makes your gate spell cast extremely short. When this is up, someone should die.

Summoner Abilities
I use Exhaust/Ghost. The only other option I would consider is Clairvoyance, but with my overly agressive playstyle I choose the former.

Masteries
9 Offense, 21 Utility.
AP, Imp. Exhaust, -CD%, Spell pen from offense. The utility goodies are mostly obvious, with some personal preference here and there.

Runes
AP, AP, and more AP. This really makes my early game. Cannot stress this enough!

Items
Most champions my build tends to vary from team to team, but Twisted Fate nearly ALWAYS has the exact same build.

The Build
1). Sapphire Crystal, 2x Health Potions
2). Sheen
3). Sorc's Boots
4). Mejai's Soulstealer
5). Giant's Belt
6). Lich Bane
7). Rylai's Crystal Scepter
8). Void Staff
9). Zhonya's Ring

The Breakdown

Sheen is where the fun begins. Usually I am able to buy it by level 5 (sometimes earlier, depending on how many kills (if any) I have by then), and the Gold card > auto attack > wildcards combo is a bit much for most champions to withstand.

Sorc boots are my boots of choice because when I play pure AP Twisted, I am out for raw damage. I don't care about attack speed, mobility, or the like. I want pure killing power, and these deliver (especially early game!).

Mejai's Soulstealer is how you kill those tanks and the guys that are starting to stack HP early. I don't die a whole lot as TF, so this snowball works wonders.

Giant's Belt. You've probably noticed you're rather squishy when hit, and by now we're getting deep into mid game. This is how you stay alive.

Lich Bane takes the effect of sheen and amplifies it by a HUGE amount. This becomes a huge source of your damage, and generally is the last item I can make.

Void Staff offers AP, mana, and a whopping 40% magic pen. Excellent.

Zhonya's Ring. You know what this baby does.

Please, please buy an Elixir of Brilliance or two during the game when you can afford it. Having those ampd wild cards and gold cards flying through team battles can win games!

Skill Build
1). Pick a Card
2). Gate
3). Wild Cards
4). Wild Cards
5). Wild Cards
6). Destiny
7+).Destiny -> Wild Cards -> Pick a Card -> Gate

Click here for the LeagueCraft.com builder for this guide.

Playstyle
My playstyle involves an absurd amount of mana use early game. Fortunately, gate is a short cooldown teleport and I can harass indefinitely, BPing back for mana and items when I am oom.

Soloing mid is always where you want to be, but it's where everyone else wants to be too. If you can get mid, once you hit 6 start ganking people relentlessly who are low health. Ping the map, make SURE your teammates know you are coming. Always pick a gold card first, then Destiny/Gate inbetween your kill target and their escape route.

Now, if you don't get solo, you're not in much worse shape. I tend to pick bottom (it doesn't really matter) and head straight for the brush. From that point I am a gold card spamming machine, allowing my partner to farm his heart out and the opponent likely can't get any creep kills of their own. By level 5 you should be taking off half or more HP each time you goldcard combo them. If they do not back, you WILL get kills. I can usually keep up with my solo.

Once you hit level 6, do the same thing you would if you were soloing mid. Odds are they will become extremely wary of getting very far from their tower. If TF has gate up, he's anywhere at any time.

Play this way until late game. By this time you will have most of your items, and if you havn't won yet, you're probably in the 5man gank phase. To be successful as TF in a 5man gank situation, positioning is everything. By now they hate you, and they want your squishy ass dead. Make them have to go completely out of their way (likely through all 4 of your mates) to get to you. Send Wild Cards through their team on cooldown, and get good at picking Gold under pressure!

AP TF is also surprisingly good late game at pushing towers over. With rank 4 or 5 gate you can teleport between lanes and bluecard towers down.

Twisted Fate, when played properly is a force to be reckoned with. Map awareness hits home to TF more than nearly any other champion. I hope you'll have as much fun with this build as I do.

Happy hunting!
FearsomeFunk

Benoit

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-08-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by fearsomefunk View Post
mejai's soulstealer
do not want

FearsomeFunk

12-08-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben0it View Post
do not want
Tons of AP, a snowball item on a champion that doesn't die a lot for 1400g... I can see why you wouldn't want it.

Benoit

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-09-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by FearsomeFunk View Post
Tons of AP, a snowball item on a champion that doesn't die a lot for 1400g... I can see why you wouldn't want it.
Because it got nerfed badly, and Deathfire Grasp is better.

robbins

12-09-2009

Thats pretty much exactly how I play TF.

Only thing I disagree with is picking Pick a Card over Gate.
I go:
7+).Destiny -> Wild Cards -> Gate -> Pick a Card
Because at 29 sec cooldown on teleport you can pretty much push all lanes at the same time and have mad map control. The build is pretty much how I build him as well (except I sometimes try to build Lich bane before buying giants belt)and I have had great success with it. The stun + wild + auto attack combo at level 5-8 does mad damage to anyone.

Thanks for the guide.

FearsomeFunk

12-09-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben0it View Post
Because it got nerfed badly, and Deathfire Grasp is better.
It's also a lot more expensive. I don't die a lot, and I can usually keep my soulstealer above 10 stacks. If I remember correctly, if you keep it above x9, it's better than the old one as far as raw AP goes.

Also, regarding P-A-C over gate: I like PAC because of the raw damage it offers if you can reliably pick gold. This usually results in me getting my levels much faster, therefore by the time I need to gate all over the place I can.

jhines105

12-09-2009

I always go for lich bane, I normally don't ever get giants belt unless I can spare the gold. Even without giants belt I normally don't ever die more than three times.