Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

The Unspoken "Rules" of Ranked Solo Queue

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SamuraiPanda

11-11-2010

EDIT: Another rule. Up to 10 now.

In the months that have followed since Season 1 started, I have seen the evolution of Ranked Solo Queue, and the many things that have almost become unspoken rules between the players. But you occasionally get a player who will either not know of one of these rules, or will purposefully ignore it, which is always a bad sign for your team. So I've decided to list some of the rules (in no particular order) that I've seen in my experiences with Ranked.

Please bump this thread if you agree with these, so more people can be aware of the basic etiquette of Ranked Solo!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Always cover both red and blue buffs for your jungler at the beginning of the game.

All you have to do is stand near an entrance to the buffs. Thats all. You just run away if you see their team coming, because at least now your jungler knows that they either intend to steal his buff or ward it. Idling at your tower before minions spawn is not only a waste of time, but could even cost you the entire game if your jungler gets ganked while doing a buff just because you didn't feel like standing around checking for wards.

2. The solo lanes will probably go to the first 3 picks on the team.

This isn't to say that the last 2 picks on the team are always going to be horrible (I've been carried by a last pick and I've carried while BEING a last pick, so I know it can happen) but 9 times out of 10 having one of your last 2 picks choose a ranged carry or a solo lane character because the first 3 didn't will result in disaster.

If you want a solo lane as one of the last 2 picks, be sure to ask your team before they choose characters and tell them what character you want to play! Often times they'll let you solo as long as you give them prior warning, because its far better for someone to play a champ they're good with rather than the champ your team needs.

3. If you ask someone for a switch, you MUST choose their character.

Asking someone to choose you a character means that no matter who they want to play, you need to comply (assuming you have the character of course). Even if they ask you for Urgot, you can complain all you want, but you have to choose them Urgot in the end. Refusing to choose a champion for a player that grabbed your character for you is one of the most disrespectful and downright ******y things someone can do to another player.

4. "Can you help me with red?" is code for switching the buff control.

The concept is quite simple: Your jungler farms blue/red only until they don't need them anymore. The buffs BELONG to your 2 solos later in the game (or whoever needs them the most, if a solo doesn't need one). The unspoken rule here is that when a solo lane asks for your help to do a buff (or asks if you mind if they can have it), that means from that point onwards they will be farming that buff as much as humanly possible.

5. As last pick, you are not allowed to call your character.

Its fine, and actually very helpful, if you say things like "I'd rather not tank" or "I'd like to play Kassadin". But if you are last pick, you are not allowed to say "Top solo" at the beginning of the game. If you do, your team will absolutely ignore that you said that, and when you auto lock in your character without thinking about whats best for the team, you're probably going to be giving the game away. Yeah, it sucks not being able to play your favorite characters as last pick, but EVERYONE has to do that from time to time. Sucks, but its necessary.

6. It isn't one person's job to ward the map.

This one may seem a bit strange, but some players are under the strange impression that its one person's job to ward everywhere and everything. Sometimes they think its a given that Janna is going to be the ward *****, or that the jungler should have 6 wards in their inventory at any given time. Fact of the matter is that its NOT one person's job. Everyone should be buying a couple wards each, at the very minimum. Players who don't understand this unspoken rule usually make one person spend way too much gold on wards... and then they complain when that person is too weak to help in teamfights.

7. Bottom lane, it is your JOB to help do dragon.

Not every game can bottom lane help with dragon (like if they're low on HP or getting pushed too hard) but the vast majority of games, they should be helping out whenever dragon is attempted. If the jungler gets killed while doing dragon and bottom lane is at full HP while their lane is pushed all the way to the other tower, then there is no excuse for not helping your jungler do dragon.

8. If you are first pick and you're not playing an OP champion, ask your team if they want someone.

Seeing your first pick immediately lock in Pantheon isn't necessarily a bad thing at all, because they're usually good enough with the character to merit doing that. But seeing your first pick immediately lock in Pantheon while Sona is still open... Well, lets just say thats not the best sign that they're good players.

9. Try to have most of the "flavor of the month" champions

Almost an extension of rule 8, this one is basically to ensure that if you get first pick and don't intend to play a flavor (which means an OP champion), you can at least pick one for your teammates. Yeah, you'll end up spending a chunk of your IP to make sure you can stay competitive in Ranked Solo (it made me cringe when I spent 13k to buy MF and Vlad at the same time) but it is well worth it down the line.
Credit goes to Odincore for this rule

10. Understand how and when to split the creep kills in a duo lane

Just because you CAN kill all the creeps you want in your duo lane, it doesn't mean you SHOULD. A Shen who autoattacks one minion and Qs a minion next to it that his lane partner was walking towards should not be playing Shen in a duo lane. When you want to share a lane and you aren't giving your partner all/most of the minions on purpose, then there are a few unspoken rules that should be followed.

- Melee minions preferentially go to the melee champion in the lane if the other person is ranged. Why? Because if the melee champ tries to last hit a ranged minion with an autoattack then he gets to eat quite a bit of harass, which is NOT a good strategy if you want to win your lane. So if you're playing Janna and you see Xin walk from the brush all the way to the last melee minion at the end who is about to die, don't take the last hit. It was obvious he was going for it and its far easier for you to get last hits whenever you want.

- Don't use abilities to farm more than one minon. Most of the time its a BAD move to use an ability to farm minions in a duo lane because you're starving the other person in the lane. Of course, there are definitely exceptions (like using a move to get a lot of minions low then just last hitting them individually), but for the most part you should avoid doing it.

- You can claim minions. If you're autoattacking a minion (which you shouldn't be doing in a duo lane unless they're under your tower) then that is YOUR minion. Getting a minion low just for your lane partner to waltz up and last hit it is the equivalent of getting blue buff low and having a teammate spam their spells to steal it at the last second. Its rude, unnecessary, and a downright **** move to pull.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And thats all I can think of off the top of my head. These unspoken rules of etiquette between players establish a base level of trust for everyone, and these are VERY important to have a successful Ranked Solo Queue game, win or lose.

If you guys think of any unspoken rules I forgot to include, then feel free to share them, and I may add them to the first post.

Quirknessity

11-11-2010

Gj sir.

HeyJon

11-11-2010

riot hire this man NAO!

DuckofDoom

11-11-2010

Hopefully some one reads that rule about bottom lane, I've seen waaay to many people idle and push a tower with an enemy defending it than rushing early dragon.

IS1721225ee39ff441ee5fe

11-11-2010

10/10 would be enlightened again.

Lv1 Squirtle

11-11-2010

Yes

Ricardo L H

11-11-2010

Nice work

PlayerFour

11-11-2010

I'm not quite sure I understand what you wrote for #3... Do you mean if you asked someone to reserve a champion for you, you shouldn't back out and not switch? It kinda sounds like if you're first pick and your teammate asks you to reserve a champ, you must do it. It's nice if you do, but you're under no obligations to your teammate (exceptions apply, such as the teammate's pick is more highly contested than yours, etc.).

SamuraiPanda

11-11-2010

Quote:
PlayerFour:
I'm not quite sure I understand what you wrote for #3... Do you mean if you asked someone to reserve a champion for you, you shouldn't back out and not switch? It kinda sounds like if you're first pick and your teammate asks you to reserve a champ, you must do it. It's nice if you do, but you're under no obligations to your teammate (exceptions apply, such as the teammate's pick is more highly contested than yours, etc.).

You, as 4th pick, say "can you pick me Amumu?" Then your 1st pick player says "Sure thing" and grab's Amumu for you. Then you say "Who do you want?"

It doesn't matter if the other player says they want Evelynn, you MUST pick Evelynn for the other player if you have her. Sometimes a player will say "No, I'm not choosing you Evelynn" just because they don't want an Evelynn on their team. That is blatantly breaking rule #3 and is one of the absolute worst things you can do to another player.

SaveMeJesus

11-11-2010

You should add this one:
9.Don't choose eve.