Community Development, Two Years On: Riot Pls

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MathMage

04-29-2013

Bump.

MathMage

04-29-2013

Bump.

StrykerMcClain

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-29-2013

bump

Kraz Kzraxus

04-29-2013

this needs a bump

Recaiden

04-29-2013

Yes it does. Great idea. I've seen improvements over time, but soloQ is definitely not the way to do things as it is now.

SlyGuyMcFly

04-29-2013

Bump. This needs to get done.

Communist Poppy

04-29-2013

bump

Eph289

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-29-2013

I'll give you a free bump.

MathMage

04-29-2013

I guess I should reorganize my thoughts to some extent, because there's several concepts floating around:
-Limitations of player behavior refinement in solo queue. Solo queue is fundamentally limited by the fact that everyone's a stranger. There's no time to build trust and there's no time to build strategies.
-Limitations of strategic depth in solo queue. In order to maintain a minimum level of cooperation, everyone defaults to the lowest common denominator, and punishes innovation. This inhibits crowdsourced development of LoL's strategic aspects.
-Potential of a chat system to make the community accessible to new players. New players have no avenue to find friends in game except by playing games. A sophisticated chat system would offer access to realtime interaction with other players with similar interests or goals.
-Potential of chat and guilds to support alternative game modes. Without happening across a GD thread, third-party website, or custom game running some alternative mode, players will never find out those modes exist. Community tools allow the creation of a 'long tail' of custom game types that players can browse directly from the client.
-Potential of guilds to facilitate interaction between existing communities. Third-party communities abound, but they're isolated from each other. Putting guilds together in a shared space allows these communities to connect, share ideas, share players, and grow.

These ideas aren't all interconnected; one may be flawed while the others are valid.

Techn0kami

04-29-2013

bumpitybump