Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

So does anyone remember the LoL API?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

azuresky808

04-26-2013

It would be hard to remember since it was originally posted on the EU forums a few months back but I recall seeing some red posts about having a developer API for league. I was, and still am, really looking forward to getting this I am a developer myself and have some cool projects I wanted to do involving this.

As of right now any developer is limited to either elophant.com's API, which is generated by crawlers and LoLking.com which is done the same way. Personally this is a terrible way to gather data as it only gives a rather small and limited view into what we can potentially get in terms of data.

I guess what I am mostly concerned with is that as developers we lack the tools to make really stunning sites and as players we look at what we do have and can potentially be misled by a lack of information. So because of this it would be nice to know if the API is still in the works and what is its status.

TL;DR: API's are cool, so what is the deal with LoL's API they talked about months ago.

LeviTheDegu

04-26-2013

The post you're talking about is
http://euw.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?p=9439958

where it was stated they are working on it. I hope they are. I can understand how taxing it may be on a server, but I think it'll help extend the game and produce more advertising for it which could allow it to take the lead back from DOTA.

I wish we could get a status update and/or cancellation notice :\

Damiya

Technical Analyst

04-26-2013

Hey guys,
While I can't get into specifics, the process of developing the API is ongoing. There's a lot of work involved in creating a scalable, extensible API for a game as big and complex as League of Legends. We've got awesome people working every day to create a rock solid implementation with all the stats and goodness you can shake a stick at

Wieners Revenge

04-26-2013

Quote:
RiotDamiya:
Hey guys,
While I can't get into specifics, the process of developing the API is ongoing. There's a lot of work involved in creating a scalable, extensible API for a game as big and complex as League of Legends. We've got awesome people working every day to create a rock solid, awesome implementation with all the stats and goodness you can shake a stick at

I'm not sure what Malphite has to do with any of this

LeviTheDegu

04-26-2013

Quote:
RiotDamiya:
Hey guys,
While I can't get into specifics, the process of developing the API is ongoing. There's a lot of work involved in creating a scalable, extensible API for a game as big and complex as League of Legends. We've got awesome people working every day to create a rock solid implementation with all the stats and goodness you can shake a stick at

Hey! I'm just glad to know it's still being worked on

chphilli

04-26-2013

So, anything us developers-slash-league-players should do to ensure we're involved with this as early as possible? I'd love to see what I could do with a LoL api!

azuresky808

04-26-2013

Quote:
RiotDamiya:
Hey guys,

This is lovely to hear! I play some other other mmos that shall not me named (WoW) and I have played with their API in the past and it is rather impressive. Any idea if it will be as robust and powerful as this?

I'm guessing you don't have an eta for it? A ballpark would be nice since I personally am thinking of developing something in the near future.

Also thanks for the speedy reply :3

AH3roNam3dHawk3

04-26-2013

Wat is an API

LeviTheDegu

04-26-2013

Quote:
AH3roNam3dHawk3:
Wat is an API

An API is an "application programming interface" what that means for people who write programs is that it gives them a way to access someone else's services. In this case and LoL API would give us the ability to pull Champion stats, Item stats and Summoner stats from their serves, this would allow for more websites, Phone applications and computer applications to help people understand League of Legend's Dynamics a little more.

Strateg1st

Recruiter

04-28-2013

I just Googled "league of legends api" for this very reason and found this post. Very happy to hear that the project was not scrapped.