Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Who invented the word "Toxic"?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

AbyssalSpector

04-26-2013

It's a widely used design term

Yoshiro

04-26-2013

Toxic a summoner who hasn't learned that feeding is bad, blame others, rage, afk, troll pick...

Kezzer

04-26-2013

Quote:
Dr Clueless PhD:
Because they've collected years' worth of data showing that the Tribunal doles out relatively accurate verdicts.

I have years of data to tell you that I see just as many people trolling or ruining my games today as I did 2 years ago in LoL.

My verdict? The tribunal does have the right intent of diminishing trolling but it just isnt working. I think in large part because it gives more tools for people to grief and outgrief each other.

The game is literally turning into a mind game about who will be reported and why....counter report and who will convince the other team that hes innocent while his teammate must be punished.

basically, the same thing you see kindergarden kids do to each other.

Noobgrenade

04-26-2013

Quote:
theoryyy:
Years worth of data? the game is merely 4-5 years old, the tribunal having been introduced around what? '11? '10? "Years..."

So... more than one year?

Turbo Sawka

04-26-2013

britney in stewardess uniform.

Lyte

Lead Social Systems Designer

Follow RiotLyte on Twitter

04-26-2013

Quote:
DeafCatMoan:
Why is neutral bad?
Sometimes all i can hope for is a team that doesn't talk at all.
It may not be the best gaming experience possible, but i wouldn't say its a bad thing.

Neutral isn't bad. But, a neutral player may experience a game that is negative, then start the next game negative as well.

Kezzer

04-26-2013

Quote:
Noobgrenade:
How did he pick a champ someone else had already taken? 'cause if we can do this I'm running a 5 Kayle comp.

I meant the type of champ not the same champ.
IE: waits till 2 seconds from end and lock in on support when there is already 1 support.
or lock in on jungle whens someone is already jungle
ec etc

Macaroni

04-26-2013

Britney of course

Lyte

Lead Social Systems Designer

Follow RiotLyte on Twitter

04-26-2013

Quote:
theoryyy:
Yet I do not understand why you and your team aren't the ones deciding of others faith. You actually know what you are talking about.

You're babysitting a community in which you have no trust yet give them the power to ban individuals who paid for your game.

You can arguably say that the Tribunal "works as intended" because who in this world wouldn't be scared of the judgement of random people over the internet?

It never really solves the issue. In fact, Making these players return to the game with a smurf account and destroy the experience of new & upcoming players is what the Tribunal really does.

*Disclaimer: I've never been banned nor punished. just my 2 cents.*

In the social sciences, there's a term called inter-rater reliability. It's a stat that represents the level of agreement between a group of people doing a task or making a judgment. At the beginning of the Tribunal launch, Player Support staff reviewed every single case and assigned appropriate punishments. After hundreds of thousands of data points, we found that the level of agreement between players and Player Support was extremely high for the vast majority of cases; in fact, the level of agreement was over 80%.

Some of you might think 80% is a low level of agreement, but it turns out that the discrepancies are mainly because Player Support was even more strict than the average random sample of the playerbase. Given this data, we opted to slowly allow obvious, clear-cut cases be automatically punished while still maintaining Player Support review on the more ambiguous cases, or cases with severe punishments.

In saying this, we're moving more and more towards experiments where Tribunal can hand out account restrictions like Restricted Chat Mode instead of time-bans. We feel account restrictions are stronger for reform because it forces players to play games on their main account to unlock the restrictions instead of simply taking a break on a smurf account. While they are playing on their main accounts, features like Restricted Chat Mode can shield other players from their toxicity while they work on improving their behaviors and becoming more sportsmanlike.

Kezzer

04-26-2013

Quote:
Lyte:
Neutral isn't bad. But, a neutral player may experience a game that is negative, then start the next game negative as well.

thats my own area of improvement and personal challenge.
ill start with the best intentions...Ill be happy i wont rage ill try to be nice or maybe just put everyone on ignore if i notice bad behaviors and not get dragged in...

then i join my first game....someone afk...noproblems
second game ..troll pick no communication feed yell at team. may give one or two feedback then give up when i notice he doesnt care.
3rd game...another afk
by that point im ready to rage. And guess who will get in more trouble, likely gonna be me.

and this happens on almost a daily basis. there are more bad days than good days.

yesterday this guy joins a game then message that he had to leave his house is on fire...i check his history, he had a leave 3 games before that...must be catching fire a lot...

There has to be a better system.

Is there a worse feeling in the world than playing like 5 games of LoL where people drag you down by leaving or trolling and you realize that you wasted all your evening doing something 100% unpleasant? You get sucked into "just one more" in hopes of getting just a normal fun game regardless of win or lose but you keep getting people that just want to ruin games.....god its a bad feeling.