Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Who invented the word "Toxic"?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Micalas

04-26-2013

Quote:
Kaolla:
Britney Spears

Damn you. I was coming to say that

Quadrakill Amumu

04-26-2013

Quote:
Nanoha Magica:
Somehow I just don't like how the word sound and how its being used.

Ironic, isn't it? Toxic players no more like being called toxic than bad players like being called bad.

DeafCatMoan

04-26-2013

Quote:
Lyte:
they might start the game neutral or negative.

Why is neutral bad?
Sometimes all i can hope for is a team that doesn't talk at all.
It may not be the best gaming experience possible, but i wouldn't say its a bad thing.

Noobgrenade

04-26-2013

toxic (adj.)
1660s, from French toxique, from Late Latin toxicus "poisoned," from Latin toxicum "poison," from Greek toxikon (pharmakon) "(poison) for use on arrows," from toxikon, neuter of toxikos "pertaining to arrows or archery," and thus to a bow, from toxon "bow," probably from a Scythian word that also was borrowed into Latin as taxus "yew."

theoryyy

04-26-2013

Quote:
Lyte:
The reason we use the word 'toxic' is very intentional.

In our observations and research on player behavior, we find that a single source of negative behavior can ripple through hundreds or thousands of games. For example, let's say we have a game with 10 players--9 are positive, and 1 is negative. The 1 negative player is racist, rages all game, and intentionally leaves the game. This experience can negatively influence some of the other 9 positive players in the game. Some of these 9 players will play another game of League of Legends and instead of being positive, they might start the game neutral or negative. Their actions can then influence 9 other players in the game, and toxicity spreads.

A single negative action could result in thousands of games with negative incidences--this is why many of our latest experiments focus on shielding players from toxicity (Restricted Chat Mode -- forcing players to make a decision between using limited chat resources for cooperative communication, or still using it for negative purposes and being message capped), or stemming the spread of toxicity (our next experiment).

Yet I do not understand why you and your team aren't the ones deciding of others faith. You actually know what you are talking about.

You're babysitting a community in which you have no trust yet give them the power to ban individuals who paid for your game.

You can arguably say that the Tribunal "works as intended" because who in this world wouldn't be scared of the judgement of random people over the internet?

It never really solves the issue. In fact, Making these players return to the game with a smurf account and destroy the experience of new & upcoming players is what the Tribunal really does.

*Disclaimer: I've never been banned nor punished. just my 2 cents.*

Dr Clueless PhD

04-26-2013

Quote:
theoryyy:
Yet I do not understand why you and your team aren't the ones deciding of others faith. You actually know what you are talking about.

You're babysitting a community in which you have no trust yet give them the power to ban individuals who paid for your game.

You can arguably say that the Tribunal "works as intended" because who in this world wouldn't be scared of the judgement of random people over the internet?

It never really solves the issue. In fact, Making these players return to the game with a smurf account and destroy the experience of new & upcoming players is what the Tribunal really does.

*Disclaimer: I've never been banned nor punished. just my 2 cents.*

Because they've collected years' worth of data showing that the Tribunal doles out relatively accurate verdicts.

Kezzer

04-26-2013

Quote:
Lyte:
The reason we use the word 'toxic' is very intentional.

In our observations and research on player behavior, we find that a single source of negative behavior can ripple through hundreds or thousands of games. For example, let's say we have a game with 10 players--9 are positive, and 1 is negative. The 1 negative player is racist, rages all game, and intentionally leaves the game. This experience can negatively influence some of the other 9 positive players in the game. Some of these 9 players will play another game of League of Legends and instead of being positive, they might start the game neutral or negative. Their actions can then influence 9 other players in the game, and toxicity spreads.

A single negative action could result in thousands of games with negative incidences--this is why many of our latest experiments focus on shielding players from toxicity (Restricted Chat Mode -- forcing players to make a decision between using limited chat resources for cooperative communication, or still using it for negative purposes and being message capped), or stemming the spread of toxicity (our next experiment).

What about the guy that comes in and doesnt pick a champ till last second...does not respond to inquiries. 3 seconds from the end, picks a champ someone else had already taken. Then proceed to say go mid when someone had already called it. But that person is not saying a negative word all game....is he toxic?

Why dont you use that example more because in my eyes, this is probably one of the most common scenario occuring in the game yet probably the least punished and the most toxic. Its even worse because that guy wont be punished because he said nothing and the others are pobably going to be punished for getting pissed off at that attitude.

Noobgrenade

04-26-2013

Quote:
Kezzer:
What about the guy that comes in and doesnt pick a champ till last second...does not respond to inquiries. 3 seconds from the end, picks a champ someone else had already taken. Then proceed to say go mid when someone had already called it. But that person is not saying a negative word all game....is he toxic?

Why dont you use that example more because in my eyes, this is probably one of the most common scenario occuring in the game yet probably the least punished and the most toxic. Its even worse because that guy wont be punished because he said nothing and the others are pobably going to be punished for getting pissed off at that attitude.

How did he pick a champ someone else had already taken? 'cause if we can do this I'm running a 5 Kayle comp.

Zectra

04-26-2013

Quote:
Nanoha Magica:
Somehow I just don't like how the word sound and how its being used.

As usual, the Romans.

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=toxic
toxic (adj.)
1660s, from French toxique, from Late Latin toxicus "poisoned," from Latin toxicum "poison," from Greek toxikon (pharmakon) "(poison) for use on arrows," from toxikon, neuter of toxikos "pertaining to arrows or archery," and thus to a bow, from toxon "bow," probably from a Scythian word that also was borrowed into Latin as taxus "yew."

We could use the word "decadent (http://www.thefreedictionary.com/decadent)." Nietzsche loved that word and it fits pretty well.

theoryyy

04-26-2013

Quote:
Dr Clueless PhD:
Because they've collected years' worth of data showing that the Tribunal doles out relatively accurate verdicts.

Years worth of data? the game is merely 4-5 years old, the tribunal having been introduced around what? '11? '10? "Years..."