official "sounds through fog" thread

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Bregan

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-08-2009

so since this is a very big problem, i am starting this thread to compile a list of any and all sounds that can be heard through the fog.

udyr's tiger
jax's ult procs
amumu's despair sniffles
clairvoyance being cast by the enemy
blitzcrank's power fist
nasus' syphoning strike hitting

(visually corki's phosphorous bomb, clairvoyance pillar of light, fate gating in)

please add anything else you can think of i will expand the list.

RiotJay

Associate Sound Designer

12-09-2009
1 of 3 Riot Posts

Thanks for creating this thread Bregan, I can see it becoming an incredibly useful resource for us. If we can continue to build this list it will help us solve this problem quickly, so please post any instances of this bug that you come across.

Luchen

12-09-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaywatford View Post
Thanks for creating this thread Bregan, I can see it becoming an incredibly useful resource for us. If we can continue to build this list it will help us solve this problem quickly, so please post any instances of this bug that you come across.
Blitzcrank's stuff gets trough fog. The knock-up thingy.

Meta

12-09-2009

Some visual spell effects can be seen through the fog as well. The main one I always notice is Corki's Phosphorus bomb.

R oL

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-09-2009

It seems as if skills that occur well after the person initially 'casting' them are the cause. For instance, it isn't the casting of Tigers stance that is the issue, it is the attacking to remove the buff from Udyr that does it. Jax does not 'cast' his ult, it just happens. Blitzcrank's arms are a stored buff until after he hits someone.

I haven't heard TF teleport, but you can definitely see it if he is porting in to brush that you have vision of but not within. I actually like that though, it cuts down on his mobility which makes him exceedingly good already.

Fraenk

Adjudicator

12-10-2009

Im not 100% sure but i think Eve's and Twitch's invis too. Anyway i need to test it later.

Bregan

12-10-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by R oL View Post
It seems as if skills that occur well after the person initially 'casting' them are the cause. For instance, it isn't the casting of Tigers stance that is the issue, it is the attacking to remove the buff from Udyr that does it. Jax does not 'cast' his ult, it just happens. Blitzcrank's arms are a stored buff until after he hits someone.

I haven't heard TF teleport, but you can definitely see it if he is porting in to brush that you have vision of but not within. I actually like that though, it cuts down on his mobility which makes him exceedingly good already.
this is an excellent observation. they do all share that characteristic, so it might be SOMETHING to do with that.

RiotJay

Associate Sound Designer

12-11-2009
2 of 3 Riot Posts

Ahh, now things are starting to make more sense. So it is the sound of Udyr's tiger strike, not him actually switching to tiger stance? I had assumed 'Udyr's tiger' was the sound of him activating the spell.

If so, I'm going to guess that R oL is rather close to the reason why this is happening. Great job guys! Please keep the examples coming to help us confirm what is going on.

Emrot

12-11-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraenk View Post
Im not 100% sure but i think Eve's and Twitch's invis too. Anyway i need to test it later.
I'm sure I've heard people stealthing when I couldn't see them, too. It could be just one or the other, though. I think in my case it was Eve.

R oL

12-11-2009

When I tested this in the test game (in my original post about Udyr) my friend first enabled Tiger Stance in his base as I was watching and I heard nothing. Only when he began attacking (removing the buff from himself) did I begin hearing it. So it is the sound of Udyr's tiger strike, not him actually switching stances from my understanding.

If that is the case, will the fix be a simple coding change one time, or will it require to change the coding on each individual skill? Basically will you need a full list of the skills?