Riot can we please improve Champion select? (Idea with pics)

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Sagee Prime

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-24-2013

Just a note to would be posters: Please read before you post and make a fool of yourself. This idea is much more complicated and flexible than it looks in the pictures and pictures alone do not communicate the full idea. This requires some reading to understand fully.

Hello everyone I would like to talk about Champion select as we know it and introduce a bit of an improvement(IMO) that I came up with. This is a rough draft and everything in it is completely subject to change.

I've seen a few similar ideas like this floating around but I wanted to finally let everyone see what I have cooked up. The basic idea is to promote better communication in champion select by utilizing the champions tab as a way to sort champions into groups and communicate your strengths to allies in champion select and by doing this improve team building and hopefully promote honesty and team work in champion select before the game even starts. I'm not saying this will solve any problems but I think it will be a step in the right direction and I think good early communication in champion select is a very good way of promoting better team work in this team oriented game. This is a rough draft so I would expect a polished implementation of something such as this to look much much nicer.

The idea is that you have 4 group tabs Jungle, Middle Lane, Bottom Lane, and Top Lane. With the exception of jungle, which is pretty much a cemented group on the map now, lanes are not meta game specific but the champions used in these lanes are so by grouping champions by lane this should not be a tool that will enforce the current meta game but rather be champion select tool that would be adaptive to meta game shifts.

What I'm doing is setting it up so that you can group the champions you can play in these 4 groups and allowing allies to see where your strengths lay and what champions you can play in each group. There will also be an addition of your top 3 champions being placed next to your champion portrait in champion select and Champion tab specific icons under the champion portrait to indicate the lanes you are strongest in. These Top 3 champions will be optional and you can turn on/off champions that make it to your top 3 that you do not wish to be displayed. Lastly the gems that appear on your Summoner box are dictated by the player and you can use these to communicate what lanes you prefer or are strongest in as soon as champion select starts.

I'm going to have a list of pictures with different details and explanations with them below:

-

-

My basic idea here was to rework the champions tab into a way to sort your champions based on the lane you choose to utilize them in. This would have interactions with champion select for both you and your allies and is aimed at helping your team cooperate and build a strong unified team. This is not fail proof but I feel it is a step in the right direction. This does not enforce the meta game and is adaptive in case there is a meta game shift. There are 4 tabs used that both you and your teammates can see. The primary tabs are Jungle, Middle Lane, Bottom Lane, and Top Lane and you can put whatever you want in them. If the meta shifts to double jungle with 3 solos or 0 jungle 2 top and 2 mid with solo bot this setup would support it. Additional tabs after the 4 primary color coded tabs are custom tabs that only you can see and they can be used to arrange groups of champions as you please. EX: assassins tab or my best champions tab.
Champions can be grouped under more than 1 tab and only champions you own can be added.

-

Here I have the Junglers I can play grouped under the Yellow Junglers Tab . I'd expect an adaptation of the champions tab the better communicates what each tab stands for but for now the color coded example should do. I'm thinking Runic symbols would be a better marker for default tabs. PS: Sorry if you are color blind.

-

Here I have Middle laners that I can play grouped under the blue Middle Lane tab

-

Here I have Bottom laners that I can play grouped under the green Bottom Lane tab. Take notice that this is based on the current meta so I have AD carries and support champions under this tab because for the current meta that is the common combo. If it were something different then I would adjust it for that meta.

-

Here I have Top laners that I can play grouped under the red Top Lane tab.

-

As you can see the tabs we made show up in champion select when we are picking a champion. Now for the effects that those tabs we made will have on champion select. My basic idea is that the game will show these dots or gems on the box that your summoner name and champion portrait appear in. Each dot is directly associated with the champions in your tabs. The mini champion portraits on the other side of the summoner box stand for your top 3 champions. As you win games with your champions they will accumulate performance points based on your performance in each game and these points will be further enhanced after game by allies via honor and reports. Once a certain ratios of points is established with a champion you will gain a champion portrait of your top 3 most successful champion. This have to be earned to show up but are also optional so they can be turned off if you do not want them to be viewed. If you turn one off the next Top champions will fill their space but you will only have champions in those boxes if they meet the requirements to be there.

Now for the last interaction which is the ability to actively see what champions the player owns and what champions they can play in each of the 4 groups. If you place your mouse over the players champion portrait box all the champions they own will gain a small black and white box in the bottom right hand corner to allow you to see what trades you can do. Additionally champions that they have put in certain groups will also have the color coded dot/gem spread in order from left to right across the bottom of each champion portrait.

I just want to reinforce the purpose of each little part of in champion select:

-The dots or gems on your summoner Box show the lanes you think you are best suited for.

-Dots on the champions show champions that you placed in the corresponding tabs to indicate that you are capable of playing these champions.

-The special black and white dots on champion portraits when you highlight an allies champion portrait box indicate that player owns those champions. There is another example below where portraits are highlighted instead of having the black and while boxes.

-The colored dots on champion portraits when you highlight an allies champion portrait indicates the lane/location that player prefers to play that champion. I have another example where colored corners are used but I am considering using Runic symbols as lane indicators instead.

-The top 3 champions that display next to your summoner spells are optional but not something you can select on your own.

-Top 3 champions are the champions you have the best performance with and performance works to determine both your independent and teamwork performance.

-If you don't have any champions that meet the minimum performance requirements then your top champions portrait boxes will be empty. You can have matches with the entire record and still not have any top champions.

-Top 3 is based on several performance based a number of stats and requires a large sample before your top champions are even considered.

-Top champions can be turned off manually but cannot be shown unless they were already earned and not lost. You might want to turn them off if the champion has a very massive bug/glitch at the moment, after a big nerf, or just because you no longer want to play them or advertise that you can play them.
Quote:
Disregard this if you don't like it because I may have no idea what I'm talking about:
This last part is kind of my attempt to describe a basic method of how one achieves performance rating on champions. The idea is we want to use actual data to determine how you impacted the game. While not going into too much detail KDA, CS, wards, objective assists, buff assists, buff kills, buffs, and debuffs, towers, and tower damage would all be used to determine an in game performance score and then after game allied reports/honors would amplify the effects of your in game performance. Bad reports would basically lower the effectiveness of your performance with the option of negative performance and honor would increase the effectiveness of your performance rating. Perhaps not necessarily a report system like the one we have but something to make this system work. It would be kind of like and upvote/downvote system in a way. I personally don't think the buttons for honor, report, ignore, add friend at the end of the game pop out enough but it could just be me.
Hope this helps explain a few things

Also here are some additional portrait ideas for how your portraits would look when allies were checking to see what you played.

If you own it it has a colored highlight but if you don't own it then it is a neutral grey. If you play the champion in a certain lane then their will be a color coded gem that lights up in each corner based on the lanes. If you don't play them in a particular lane then the gem will be neutral grey.

Replacement symbols for the dots. I'm thinking of some other ideas to replace the dots so these aren't final.

-

Just an example of the Bot lane tab in champion select.

-

Just an example of the Jungler tab in champion select.

Leave comments below and let me know what you think and if you have any questions please ask.

Edit:

Here is my post from Reddit: Riot can we please improve Champion select?

ElBoob

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-24-2013

I like this suggestion. Please take an upvote and a bump.
*EDIT*
I have one suggestion to go with this, and it applies to masteries as well, please let me click and drag to manually reorganize my tabs. Kinda annoying to have to rebuild tabs because I built them in the wrong order. XD
Otherwise this is brilliant and I love it!

Spiritside

04-24-2013

Custom groups like this would be so useful for champ select.. especially if people can just mouseover your icon in champ select and see what you can play for each role. It'd help so much with making good decisions about team compositions and identifying who can go where immediately.

Maybe this feature would be best suited to draft modes in both normal and ranked so that normals can remain completely metaless. People always seem to complain with even hugely flexible things like this that it's enforcing the meta when in reality it's hardly at all.

Anyway, if you think about it, you'd have some people who'll only list one role, but many "regular" people will list multiple, maybe even all 5. If you get into a champ select where one person only plays one role, a couple play two, and the rest play all 5, it'd be fast and easy to set up a team where everyone's comfortable.

Solid idea and I think Riot should really take a look at this.

Kojolika

04-24-2013

+1 bump

LoudFootSteps

04-24-2013

Wow that's a lot.

+1

Sagee Prime

04-24-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojodarkale View Post
Custom groups like this would be so useful for champ select.. especially if people can just mouseover your icon in champ select and see what you can play for each role. It'd help so much with making good decisions about team compositions and identifying who can go where immediately.

Maybe this feature would be best suited to draft modes in both normal and ranked so that normals can remain completely metaless. People always seem to complain with even hugely flexible things like this that it's enforcing the meta when in reality it's hardly at all.

Anyway, if you think about it, you'd have some people who'll only list one role, but many "regular" people will list multiple, maybe even all 5. If you get into a champ select where one person only plays one role, a couple play two, and the rest play all 5, it'd be fast and easy to set up a team where everyone's comfortable.

Solid idea and I think Riot should really take a look at this.
Yeah I actually don't communicate the custom tabs idea very well but you will be able to make a custom champions tab just like rune/mastery pages and maybe a page strictly for bans(which could otherwise be easily added as a custom tab anyway.).

VG Cocoboy

Senior Recruiter

04-24-2013

Interesting

Endertome

04-24-2013

The only problem is that your suggestion adheres to the Top/Mid/Bot/Jungle meta, which is not something Riot enforces.

If anything they'd be arranged by the tags Riot already uses. Fighter, Mage, Carry, Jungler, Tank, Support, etc.

They would never arrange things by something as superfluous as "default lane assignments".

A Magikcarp

04-24-2013

bump

Slowly Die

04-24-2013

Every champion can be played as anything nowadays. I'd say let us make custom champion slots and it'll be perfect.
Skimmed hard as hell btw so I might have missed like everything.