Twisted Fate Item Build? (AP)

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

YDKJMF

11-11-2010

So I've recently begun playing Twisted Fate as an Ability Power champion and I'm wondering what a good item build would be for him. I'm only level 18 when it comes to summoner levels, so any advice would be helpful.

My core items as of right now are Lich Bane, Zhonya's Ring and Deathfire Grasp. The I usually get my boots after getting sheen, then I finish Lich Bane. For my other items, I usually focus around Frozen Heart and Banshee's Veil. If I'm going up against a melee heavy team, I grab a Thornmail instead of a Banshee's Veil.

From getting a Frozen Heart and a Deathfire Grasp, this sets me at 40% Cooldown Reduction.

Am I doing anything wrong? If so, what am I doing wrong?

All help is appreciated.

Jultach

11-11-2010

I prefer to play TF as hybrid versus straight AP... the aspd/AP items such as nashor's tooth and guinsoons are wonders on him. Also you shouldn't need frozen + deathfires to hit 40% cdr.

FABIOForever

11-11-2010

Nashtor's is really the only AP item I'd ever consider getting for him, and only because it's AS+CDR that just happens to have some AP included.

Honestly with his E ability you are sacrificing so much potential going straight AP. He only gets one spell with a semi-decent ratio (pick a card's extra damage is negligable). My rule of thumb is a champion needs at least 3 spells (or 2 spammable ones) with decent ratios to consider going pure AP with.

So many people get carried away with the thought of lich bane burst and they convince themselves to go AP on champions they shouldn't. Sure you COULD build a 400 AP lich bane on Garen or Pantheon, but it doesn't mean you should.

Blue Shyvana

11-11-2010

Nashor's doesn't pack enough AP for the cost, even thought it will max your CDR when combined with stacked deck. Even though this sounds appealing, for AP Twisted Fate, you need every point of ability power you can get as soon as you can get it (his skills' base damage and scaling isn't very good, makes up for it with a heavy and frequent lichbane enabled by his naturally low cooldowns) or risk falling behind heavily. No offense, but I think hybrid is a waste of time. I've tried it and I find that if you don't max wildcards first, that skill is pretty much obsolete, and if you do, your stacked deck is lacking or your stun is only one second as apposed to two, which is TF's only reliable escape. Also, because of the pathetic scaling of his other two skills and lesser AP than a pure caster TF, your magic damage is barely increased at all.

Blue Shyvana

11-11-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by FABIOForever View Post
Nashtor's is really the only AP item I'd ever consider getting for him, and only because it's AS+CDR that just happens to have some AP included.

Honestly with his E ability you are sacrificing so much potential going straight AP. He only gets one spell with a semi-decent ratio (pick a card's extra damage is negligable). My rule of thumb is a champion needs at least 3 spells (or 2 spammable ones) with decent ratios to consider going pure AP with.

So many people get carried away with the thought of lich bane burst and they convince themselves to go AP on champions they shouldn't. Sure you COULD build a 400 AP lich bane on Garen or Pantheon, but it doesn't mean you should.
Lichbane was made for TF, though. His cooldowns are naturally short and his PaC automatically uses lichbane, basically increasing its scaling to 1.4 of your AP. With his two second stun, you can proc lichbane twice. Once on the stun itself, wait a second, WildCards, and again, with a stacked deck somewhere in there. He can repeat the process in 5 seconds too. It works a lot better on TF than on other champs.

FABIOForever

11-11-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALiability View Post
Lichbane was made for TF, though. His cooldowns are naturally short and his PaC automatically uses lichbane, basically increasing its scaling to 1.4 of your AP. With his two second stun, you can proc lichbane twice. Once on the stun itself, wait a second, WildCards, and again, with a stacked deck somewhere in there. He can repeat the process in 5 seconds too. It works a lot better on TF than on other champs.
Eh, I consider lichbane "made" for someone who's already benefitting from having a bunch of AP lying around. You should get lich bane as an extra bonus on someone who's been rocking with AP previously, not as an end goal.

You're just not going to be doing the damage a TF with SotD and black cleaver is going to be dishing out.

Blue Shyvana

11-11-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by FABIOForever View Post
Eh, I consider lichbane "made" for someone who's already benefitting from having a bunch of AP lying around. You should get lich bane as an extra bonus on someone who's been rocking with AP previously, not as an end goal.

You're just not going to be doing the damage a TF with SotD and black cleaver is going to be dishing out.
A TF with SotD and BC isn't going to be doing as much as a Tristana would. There a better physicals out there, TF is unique as a caster. With Zhonya's and Lichbane, you have a solid 250 AP for 600 or so more gold than SotD and BC and you don't need to stay in a fight for more than two seconds at a time, unlike dps TF. 250 (lichbane) on PaC (approx 200 w/ scaling and auto attack included) for 450, one auto attack for stacked deck (added 100 dmg from AP, equivalent of SotD), Wildcards for 260(+150 ish from AP), one more auto attack for Lichbane 250. Approximately 1250 damage in ~two seconds for 600 more gold all while they're stunned and you're safe.

Roddy Shmexy

11-11-2010

You can make use of ALL YOUR SPELLS

Sheen is a great starting item for the mana and the proc

From there give the new Malady a try (it was made for him)

After that get guinsoos/ Nashors (i prefer nashors for cdr)

Complete Lichbane, Zhonyas, etc.

Gives you tasty attack speed, great burst and ap. PaC and Wild Cards become very powerful while you are still dishing out fast Stacked Deck.

I play AP TF in ranked

YDKJMF

11-11-2010

I don't like having such a big lack in defensive items.

Sad Faced Panda

11-11-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by YDKJMF View Post
I don't like having such a big lack in defensive items.
Then don't play TF.
He's a champion that needs to go entirely offensive to be useful. You have the range and the CC to play as a glass cannon, so use it. He's pretty hurting with any build but a straight up AP (lichbane first then ring etc. etc.) will shift the scales if you can harass to the point you can drop them, which you can because wild cards and PaC is pretty baller harassment.

If you can't play him as a squishy, then you need to practice skirmishing.