What do you look for in a gaming mouse?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

PhiPhenom

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-22-2013

I am looking to purchase a new gaming mouse and wasn't sure what to look for.
Stats?
-dpi
-buttons
-laser vs optic
-etc
Price?
Is there a difference between name brand and off-brand?

thanks!

Jamaree

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-22-2013

Why not just buy a normal mouse? I personally use a Dell laser one, pretty basic. I don't think a special mouse is going to help you THAT much.

PhiPhenom

04-22-2013

not looking for help with lol. Just want to know more so i can get a good mouse.

Next

04-22-2013

extra buttons, laser, price

Postal Twinkie

Wrenchman

04-22-2013

Price wasn't much of a factor, as most mice are sub $100, with rare exception. I originally had a Logitech G500 and loved it, but ran out of buttons, so I made the switch to the Naga bandwagon.

The Naga is smaller, and lighter, which I actually like over the G500 as my hands are pretty small. Lots of buttons, customization, it fits the bill.

The drawback is the quality, not nearly as good as the Logitech. My first Naga broke after about 14 months, which was about two weeks ago, so I missed warranty by 2 months. Here I sit with another Naga, as I am now used to them and changing mice is a huge pain!

Before grabbing another Naga I tried the new Logitech G600, didn't like it. It almost looked like it was going to be the same as the 500, but with more buttons....it wasn't.

PhiPhenom

04-22-2013

Thanks Postal.

I just looked at the Naga. Does the buttons ever get in the way? It seems like my thumb would be hitting them a lot.

ProbablyTerribad

Recruiter

04-22-2013

What do I look for in a mouse? Durability.

I use the WoW mouse because it's huge like a tank and I can slam it against my desk and it doesn't break. I've had mine for like two years and it works fine despite me being pretty abusive to it. And I don't mean slamming it down like smacking it down, I mean full-on ragesmashing it down.

Kodoku

04-22-2013

A left mouse button. A right mouse button. A scroll wheel. Durability. That's about all I can think of.

EasymodeX

04-22-2013

1. Comfort. There are several things I look for:

1a. LMB/RMB click responsiveness. I don't like mice that have shallow clicks -- sometimes my fingers are twitchy or resting and I like to avoid random clicks. I don't want the button to press unless I intentionally press them.

1b. Scroll wheel mechanic. I once had a mouse that had some super-smooth scroll wheel that could spin and ****. Oops. Never again. Scroll wheel must have whatever pseudo-locking mechanism stops it from spinning. I don't scroll often, so I only want it to scroll when I "really mean it".

1c. Lightweight. Due to some weird evolution of mice (probably due to the existence of wireless with heavy batteries), some mice actually have adjustable weights. I prefer these so I can take all the weights out and use a very light mouse. If the mouse is naturally lightweight, then no adjustable weights are needed. However, this can be relevant particularly for other people who want a weighted mouse.

1d. Mouse size / hand fit. If the mouse doesn't fit my hand, then **** it. Although, my hand can adapt. So as long as the mouse isn't way off, it should be fine. Of course, most mice are designed to fit most hands. This criterion is usually not an issue in the vast majority of cases.

2. Durability. Who needs a mouse that wears down in 6-12 months? Lame.

3. Price. Basically relates to durability. D / P = value. I expect my mice to wear down. Want more durability for less cost. The first thing that wears down for me is the LMB sensitivity.

4. Laser/optical. Never honestly had a problem with optical mice. Still, I prefer a moderately good DPI and such, especially when I do graphical editing. Many mouse support applications (LOGITECH) have functions to dynamically adjust the sensitivity, so this is not a big deal. As long as the DPI isn't horribly low, I don't care. Lasers are cool though because pew pew.

5. Wired mouse. Wireless = bad. Bad bad bad bad. Random intermittent stuttering. Heavy from battery weight. Batteries run out at the worse possible time (always). I will never use a wireless peripheral for desktop gaming.

poe tay toes

04-22-2013

1. size. i want a large mouse.
2. smooth motion. pretty much any decent mouse will have this.

right now i have a rat 7 expanded outward as much as possible and a logitech g500