Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Quick question

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Prowlexe

04-21-2013

I've been getting more into Dominion because I'm tired of the stagnant farm aspect of SR.

I usually hover around 35-40 wins over losses, but I feel like that's probably very average or something. (Mind you I'm still a spring chicken in this mode, only around 275-280 matches total..)

I plan to dig into Sauron's Dominion guide later..(thing looks like a piece of work.) Am I doing it right so far or are there any major aspects to improve on at this level, and am I right in thinking this is only average?

Geryth

04-21-2013

+Wins over losses doesn't really say anything. I was +25 wins over losses or so when jabebot was killed at around 1850 elo. I went on an 8 month hiatus of LoL in general. I'm now +30 wins over losses but hundreds of elo below where I was because of decay.

Also to illustrate how menial that data is as an indication of skill, check out:
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-rOEarufVO-MXhlWTlHSmpRUFNwSGlzME9Pb0w0QQ/edit

That is the last log I had from Jabebot, and you can look at how varied people's elos are with the respective +wins over losses. Especially in the 1600-2000 range, where those folks are commonly pitted against pre-made teams all 2000+ because of the low playerbase, and losses net as low as 1 or 2 elo.

Prowlexe

04-21-2013

Oh ok, I wasn't aware of that. So I guess it just comes more down to how you manage yourself in game and building the correct way, etc.

Sauron

04-21-2013

Quote:
Geryth:
+Wins over losses doesn't really say anything. I was +25 wins over losses or so when jabebot was killed at around 1850 elo. I went on an 8 month hiatus of LoL in general. I'm now +30 wins over losses but hundreds of elo below where I was because of decay.

O.o?

Wins over losses is one of the components to guesstimating your Elo. Normal Elo also does not decay in any mode. What you're experiencing is the average Elo for other players moving up over 8 months while you stayed the same.

As I said in the last rating thread, +75 wins is usually enough to be "high Elo." It can be less if you solo queue a lot (big gains, small losses), or more if you premake a lot (small gains, big losses). Everything is guesswork, though, because it also depends on the premade status of your opponents.

To answer OP's question, you are above average.

AAARRRRGGGGGHHHH

04-21-2013

Quote:
Geryth:
Also to illustrate how menial that data is as an indication of skill, check out:
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-rOEarufVO-MXhlWTlHSmpRUFNwSGlzME9Pb0w0QQ/edit (http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/redirect.php?do=verify&redirect_url=https%3A%2F%2Fdocs.google.com%2Ffile%2Fd%2F0B-rOEarufVO-MXhlWTlHSmpRUFNwSGlzME9Pb0w0QQ%2Fedit)

Quote:
26260 AAAAAARRRRGGGHHH NA 1556 16W/12L

lol

Geryth

04-21-2013

Quote:
Sauron:
Normal Elo also does not decay in any mode. What you're experiencing is the average Elo for other players moving up over 8 months while you stayed the same.

I didn't know that. Yeah I commonly reference that list and check my teammates and opponents, I've seen them range from 1100 - 2000 but most commonly, if they are in the list at all, they are 1450-1550 so I thought that I decayed down.

But then that means I'm probably sitting between 1900 and 1950 right now (I was 1889 at +26 wins over losses in the log I linked), and I was always running into 2300's and recognized a lot of names. I don't recognize anyone at all that I've played with the last few months, my queue times are lower than they were a year ago, and I see at least 1-2 people per game not take revive (even bottom lanes lol). I also see a lot of super derpish plays, a lot of why I feel like I've been carrying hard lately as Taric. It's either something is whacked out with my elo, or the 1900 bracket has made and extreme shift in the overall experience since Jabebot was killed. Then again, a year ago I was playing draft, so maybe that's a key factor. Everything about it feels like a few hundred elo below where I was when I left.

Torkable

04-21-2013

You're experiencing the increased fun levels of riot's new mm algorithm. It looks like this:

-are there 10 people online?
--go

The old one was a real pain in the ass because it made people wait multiple whole minutes at a time for a match because it did all this stupid **** like consider player lvl and elo in a pathetic attempt to create "balanced" and "fun" games where everyone was at the same skill lvl, so dumb. The new algorithm fixes all that lame ****.

Belrick

04-21-2013

Ahh the days when Dom games end ~50 to 0 instead of todays games ending 300+ to 0.

I remember those days when players actually meant good game when they said gg.

Sauron

04-21-2013

Quote:
AAARRRRGGGGGHHHH:
lol

In S1 and S2 the first ten games of a mode/ladder had triple rating change to try to place players in the correct bracket. Now that elo ratings are hidden we don't know if they still do that in S3 (but they probably do).

Quote:
Geryth:
I didn't know that. Yeah I commonly reference that list and check my teammates and opponents, I've seen them range from 1100 - 2000 but most commonly, if they are in the list at all, they are 1450-1550 so I thought that I decayed down.

But then that means I'm probably sitting between 1900 and 1950 right now (I was 1889 at +26 wins over losses in the log I linked), and I was always running into 2300's and recognized a lot of names. I don't recognize anyone at all that I've played with the last few months, my queue times are lower than they were a year ago, and I see at least 1-2 people per game not take revive (even bottom lanes lol). I also see a lot of super derpish plays, a lot of why I feel like I've been carrying hard lately as Taric. It's either something is whacked out with my elo, or the 1900 bracket has made and extreme shift in the overall experience since Jabebot was killed. Then again, a year ago I was playing draft, so maybe that's a key factor. Everything about it feels like a few hundred elo below where I was when I left.

A year ago, JabeBot'ing inactive players yielded no changes to their ratings, and sometimes someone will ask in GD if normal rating decays and the occasional red response is that it doesn't.

It only makes sense with a growing playerbase that the average rating of a newer mode would move up as more players learn, more players get carried, and more players discover the broken champions to inflate their ratings. If you ever graph a ladder's density overtime, you'll find that it moves like a really slow caterpillar.

Quote:
Torkable:
You're experiencing the increased fun levels of riot's new mm algorithm.

Riot did do some modifications to the matchmaking algorithm several months back to help shorten queue times for low populations where players of equal skill could have a hundred or more rating difference. The old algorithm was basically аss, I had 90-120 minute average queue time for solo blind and the new algorithm has me down to usually 30 minutes. While it could still stand to be faster in widening the window, the matches simply happen with less queue time because it's still going to be the same 10 players.

Fun fact for new players: If your queue timer goes over 119 minutes it disappears from the status window when people mouse-over your name. It just says you're "In Queue".

Torkable

04-22-2013

That doesn't mean the "fix" wasn't stupidly heavy handed. It was a stupid fix. All they had to do to help out the very top end players such as yourself was add a break point. if you're over 2.5k hidden elo just automatically widen the search range a bit...for example. Whatever the numbers would need to be.
A lvl 30 player with....let-me-toot-my-own-horn-here-a-bit...+110 wins on close to 2k dom games played should not be matched with sub lvl 30's with less than a dozen dom wins. Before you think I'm exaggerating, I'm not, and it happens a lot, too ****ing much.