Curse Voice and Mac Client.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

BrightnShiny

04-22-2014

While it is possible to get Curse Voice to *kinda* work on mac the whole truth of it is Mac is not currently supported.

For those out of the know, Curse Voice is a third party program which is in its beta stage which automatically shows the jungle timers for camps you have seen cleared, as well as other features.

Mac has an official client. Riot choosing to allow the program directly gives PC users a benefit that mac users DO NOT HAVE and CANNOT GET (without a great deal of work/having Windows on your HD).

What. The. ****.

Novalax

04-22-2014

I'm also pretty salty about this. Riot is allowing people to have an unfair advantage which is not available to some of its customers. The program should not be allowed to be used. Mac users are treated as second rate.

TwaughtWaffle

04-22-2014

I finally got myself a Curse Voice Beta key after month or so of trying and was super happy. I never knew it didn't work for my computer, though, and this too bugs me. I agree it gives some people and unfair advantage that others don't even have the opportunity to have. I think it should be outlawed until a mac version is out, or at least they should strive to make a mac client as fast as possible, and inform us that they are working for it.

Please Help Us Curse/Riot! Thanks!

Fabs

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-23-2014

Chances of Curse developing a mac client are low. They had a mac version of their WoW Addon Client, it was pretty bad and ended up getting scrapped because they said it wasn't worth the resources to develop for both platforms.

Tucsters

04-25-2014

The same thing happened with me as it did with Twaught Wolf.

But I think that people should remember that their are other things for only PC that can help you improve your game. Lol Replay's mostly come for PC (and if anyone has one for mac can you please send me it) and looking back at your games can really help your play. The problem is the Mac is not designed to be a gaming platform, and that's why very few things are made for it. I consistently rage whenever a game only comes out for PC, but that's just what you have to live with when you get a mac. My suggestion, which I can't actually follow since I can't afford a PC, and my dad got me my Mac for school work, is that you should just get a PC. But what everyone else is saying, that it should be restricted until it comes out for mac, is a good idea.

Suddenly Diana

04-26-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabs View Post
Chances of Curse developing a mac client are low. They had a mac version of their WoW Addon Client, it was pretty bad and ended up getting scrapped because they said it wasn't worth the resources to develop for both platforms.
I have only been playing WoW for a short time but there's definitely a Curse Client available for Mac so I don't know what you're on about. Also, on their website they have a "Careers" section and one of the departments you can apply for is "Mac Client Development" so I would say Curse Voice on Mac is a pretty high probability of happening.

semperfiordie

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-26-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilYasuoThings View Post
I have only been playing WoW for a short time but there's definitely a Curse Client available for Mac so I don't know what you're on about. Also, on their website they have a "Careers" section and one of the departments you can apply for is "Mac Client Development" so I would say Curse Voice on Mac is a pretty high probability of happening.
You are using an alpha version of the mac client they are not updating it

Mac Curse Client

The Alpha version of the Mac client is no longer supported

After carefully exploring all possible options to provide our Mac users with a consistent experience that meets the high standards we have set for our products, we regret to inform you that we will no longer continue to develop our Mac client. Throughout itís lifetime, the Alpha version of the Mac client has always been a bit behind our PC client, and we can no longer continue to support a product that does not provide the type of experience our users deserve and expect.

Users will be able to continue using the v4 version of the client, but currently, we are unable to guarantee any future updates or technical support.

that is straight from curses website.

they claim it doesn't meet their standards, it is because they could care less about actually investing in a decent mac developer team. That is why i would never and will never in the future get curse premium.

Alomel2

04-26-2014

I am really angry because some people have this but those of us who happen to like mac are not allowed for this. This is unfair and do they have a contract with windows or something because I do not see why they would not have it for mac when league of legends is available on mac. The should just put curse voice into the actual game.

FreakinUnoriginl

04-26-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alomel2 View Post
I am really angry because some people have this but those of us who happen to like mac are not allowed for this. This is unfair and do they have a contract with windows or something because I do not see why they would not have it for mac when league of legends is available on mac. The should just put curse voice into the actual game.
The following is a cross post (with small additions relevant to recent discussion) from a similar, but smaller, thread:

Curse Voice seems to be a third-party application, not being developed with any input from Riot. Unless there's a post from a red somewhere that says, "Yeah, go ahead and use Curse Voice", it seems like it would violate the Terms of Use, section V, subsection J, most likely the use of automation programs.
Quote:
J. Using any unauthorized third party programs, including but not limited to "mods," "hacks," "cheats," "scripts," "bots," "trainers," and automation programs, that interact with the Software in any way, for any purpose, including, without limitation, any unauthorized third party programs that intercept, emulate, or redirect any communication between the Software and Riot Games and any unauthorized third party programs that collect information about the Game by reading areas of memory used by the Software to store information
I don't know if elsewhere on the forums Riot has addressed Curse Voice, though. In any case, Riot can only say OK/not-OK. You'd have to petition Curse Gaming about a Mac version, which judging from the above posts is probably contingent on them hiring a Mac team.

Addendum:
There's a fairly lengthy post in GD with the participation of a Rioter in charge of working with third-party developers. They're considering an update to the TOS, generalized in this post, which would permit (most?) of the timers included in Curse Voice. There's also been mention that more timers might become part of the base game, and I guess they're experimenting with it internally. Officially, they're watching how things develop, which means that they won't take action against CV or its users unless and until they announce a different position.

Further update: the TOS will be made more clear, but Curse Voice as of 5/3 should be considered to give an unfair advantage over those who don't have it and its use should be discouraged (but isn't bannable - yet). Curse can still update CV to be compliant with the proposed TOS. Here's the > thread <

Nameless Rogue

04-28-2014

Quote:
I am really angry because some people have this but those of us who happen to like mac are not allowed for this. This is unfair and do they have a contract with windows or something because I do not see why they would not have it for mac when league of legends is available on mac.
It's not that curse has a contract with Microsoft, more than likely the issue is they are having trouble finding programmers who are able to maintain the client. It is not easy keeping a piece of software compatible especially when they are juggling a lot of variables (different os x versions, constantly updating league client, making sure other applications aren't interfering) and they might just not have the capacity to keep it running right now. This doesn't mean the end of the client, just that it may be a while before we see the next phase of development.

Quote:
The should just put curse voice into the actual game.
It's tough to implement third party features into the live client without working it through development cycles, its tough to just turn something on without examining potentially consequences. I'm sure that if Riot was going to implement something like this it would require a lot of thought and time before entering a rigorous development and testing cycle.