General rune advice question :

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Darmival

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-18-2013

In dominion is there ever a reason to run flat runes over the scaling runes ? Most scaling runes overtake flat runes by level 9-10.

If there are runes that are better to run as flat runes, which runes are those - and why are they better than their scaling counterparts ?

* also, as a side question for seals is it better to use the armor seals or are the health seals a better choice?

BeefJerkyHunter

04-18-2013

The only flat runes I would take over scaling are the cooldown reduction glyphs.

KaWraith

04-18-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeefJerkyHunter View Post
The only flat runes I would take over scaling are the cooldown reduction glyphs.
In my opinion:
I usually take flat armor... I'd rather counter most of the early flat penetration for the initial fight.. by late game the extra AR isn't worth as much because there is so much shread. flat runes make you stronger at windmill, and especially for champs with weaker early game stats, that makes a big difference.

Other than tradeoffs for windmill: runes that even out at 6 are usually better to go for scaling, runes that even out at 11 are probably better to stay with flat. Unlike a long SR game, dominion usually spends very little time sitting at level 18, so long term investments don't have quite the same pay off, and early advantages are usually a good thing.

Eyemite

Orphane

04-18-2013

Flat CDR is 7.50% cdr.
CDR/lvl is 10.00% cdr.

CDR/lvl glyphs are terrrrible.

Darmival

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-18-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orphane View Post
Flat CDR is 7.50% cdr.
CDR/lvl is 10.00% cdr.

CDR/lvl glyphs are terrrrible.
if only I had known that before buying the scaling runes first, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaWraith View Post
In my opinion:
I usually take flat armor... I'd rather counter most of the early flat penetration for the initial fight.. by late game the extra AR isn't worth as much because there is so much shread. flat runes make you stronger at windmill, and especially for champs with weaker early game stats, that makes a big difference.
So what about armor vs health seals? You mention shred being an issue - shred doesn't really do much against health runes and it has the added bonus of being relevant against magic spells whereas armor runes do nothing,

Foxxle

04-19-2013

I don't think any 'per level' runes are bad on Dominion compared to their flat counterpart. Consider that you start at level 3, you'll be 4 by the time you reach the windmill, and you level incredibly fast compared to SR.

What little downside you have at the earliest levels by not going with flat runes is easily overcome in a couple of minutes. But your own personal mileage may vary.

aznskillz1

04-19-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darmival View Post
* also, as a side question for seals is it better to use the armor seals or are the health seals a better choice?
I'm also wondering about this, I see a lot of people using scaling health seals, is there a general consensus that these are better than flat or scaling armor?

I'll also note that Sauron's guide recommends flat armor for most champions, and scaling health for some (mostly tankier) champions.

Northpaw

04-19-2013

I prefer scaling runes over flat ones for the ones that have options. Early game really means very little in Dominion.

If I'm playing a tank or AD, then I have scaling armor seals and scaling MR glyphs, but if I'm playing AP, since I have the scaling AP glyphs, I do scaling health seals to cover both bases a bit.

Deleter

04-20-2013

Yeah I really think the scaling runes are preferred over the flat ones :P