What is Ability Power?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TryHardKorean

04-18-2013

Sorry if I'm spamming but, what exactly is ability power? I'm aware that it is how powerful your QWER moves are but do they apply to anyting else? I need to know because I am contemplating on which runes I will get. Thanks in advance

Vikaryous

04-18-2013

Nope, just boosts the power of a skill by the corresponding ratio. What else would it do?

Kaantu

04-18-2013

Ability power makes the QWER skills that scale with it more powerful. You can tell which skills scale off AP because it will have a green number in parenthesis.

Attack damage scales abilities with orange numbers,

Mana scales abilities with blue numbers.

Armor scales abilities with yellow numbers.

Aeolian Melodies

04-18-2013

Makes abilities that scale with it hit harder (or shield more, or heal more). It is most of the time but not always magic damage (Akali's Crescent Slash and Irelia's ult have AD and AP scaling but deal physical damage - these are the 2 exceptions I can think of).

Snoozealot

04-18-2013

Also I believe it increases your auto attack damage on turrets? Or use too I don't remember. Does not add much.

Also in the offense tree there is a talent. Spell blade or something. Adds damage to your AA by a % of your AP.

So pretty much just your qwer abilities, and maybe your passive depending on what it is.

Edit: Yeah I was right about turrets. Unless this is outdated.

"Damage to a turret is based on your base attack damage plus the higher of your bonus attack damage or 40% of your ability power. It is not affected by any kind of armor penetration "

http://leagueoflegends.wikia.com/wiki/Turret

TryHardKorean

04-18-2013

So... It only increases the damage of your QWER but nothing else?

Lord Kamina

04-18-2013

Not all abilities scale off of ability power. You can determine which abilities scale off of AP (ability power) by hovering over their icon. If the colored numbers are teal, then the ability scales off of AP. If orange, they scale off of AD. Dark blue means it scales off of mana, yellow is armor, and purple is magic resist.

Some things to know about spellvamp and lifesteal:

Spellvamp gives you health back based on a percentage of the damage dealt by your abilities. This includes all abilities, whether they scale off of AP or not. Spellvamp only gives you back a percentage health back from auto-attacks or abilities that apply on-hit effects, such as Gangplank Q or Ezreal Q.

MoSBanapple

04-18-2013

Passive, QWER, some items, damage to towers.

Lord Kamina

04-18-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoozealot View Post
Also I believe it increases your auto attack damage on turrets? Or use too I don't remember. Does not add much.

Also in the offense tree there is a talent. Spell blade or something. Adds damage to your AA by a % of your AP.

So pretty much just your qwer abilities, and maybe your passive depending on what it is.

Edit: Yeah I was right about turrets. Unless this is outdated.

"Damage to a turret is based on your base attack damage plus the higher of your bonus attack damage or 40% of your ability power. It is not affected by any kind of armor penetration "

http://leagueoflegends.wikia.com/wiki/Turret
AAs only begin to deal %AP damage to structures after an enormous amount of AP. I think the only champions who can reach the threshold without stacking RoAs and Archangels are Veigar and Thresh.

RyuPhalian

04-18-2013

Ability Power , like Attack Damage, is an offensive stat but unlike Attack Damage, Ability Power (or AP for short) doesn't increase damage from auto attacks. In champion abilities, many have damage which scales off of one of these stats. Attack damage is shown in Orange while Ability Power is Green. Note that rarely does any ability have a 100% ratio so 99% of the time the bonus damage from the stat will not equal the total you have of that stat. For example if you have an ability which does 100 base damage with a 50% AP ratio and 200 AP, you will get 100 bonus damage from the AP ratio since 50% * 200 AP = 100.

Here is a bonus tip which I was confused about for my first few months of gameplay. The stat "SpellVamp" gives back health equal to a percentage of the damage dealt by an ability like LifeSteal heals you for a percentage of the damage you deal through auto attacks.