The Current State of the Freljord

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Aquidus

04-18-2013

First off please let me state that I do not know if these thoughts have been posted elsewhere or have been debunked or otherwise. Now on to my thoughts!

Now with the recent posts from Quin and Valor's journal and her Easter egg we can assume that Lissandra is attempting to resurrect and old evil. An evil that has come to the Freljord in the past. Now I don't think that the massive structure she talks about is necessarily designed to bring back the frost watchers who gave the three sisters their power. Seeing as it was built after their arrival and ascension to power. Rather, I think that it is designed to bring about what fueled their power. Lissandra might be planning to use this to set forth her plans of conquest by increasing her own power.
Part of me thinks that by bringing back this evil power, she will use it to corrupt Anivia and use her as a weapon against the remaining tribes. Reading Anivia's new lore, she has a feeling of familiarity with this power ; So its not that unlikely of a thought that this is exactly what the Frost Watchers did in the past. I feel the more likely scenario is that Anivia aided in the rebellion against the Frost Watchers by removing their source of power (their fortresses true purpose) by consuming all of power and becoming this Dark Frost Anivia. Then it was tasked to those of the rebellion to destroy her because as one of her many abilities, she is able to be reborn in purity thereby removing any evil from the land.
Now in these journals Quin and Valor have come across Lissandra and lived because Lissandra left right as she was coming upon them. Now, one would think that it might be in her best interest to kill them off letting Jarvan believe that they died due to the cold; as they almost did. He might have sent others to search for them and try and continue their scouting quest of the Frejlord but I think that Demacia isn't full of great scouts such as Valor and Quinn. Returning to Lissandra, there isn't much in the Freljord that would scare her off. It might have very well been Lissandra sensing the near by presence of Anvia that caused her to back off at that last moment. Mainly because I feel she is one of the few beings who could put an end to her plans having lived through those ages and maybe fought in the rebellion.
On to the trolls! What with their unification being brought about through this new Trundle I feel that Ashe would have a hard time fighting off both Sejuani and the trolls on two different fronts not to mention Lissandra's plans. So I have a great amount of hope for Nunu and his Yetis to fight against the trolls in a big battle in these frozen wastes along side Ashe and Anivia.

I feel like these are pretty well set match ups Nunu versus Trundle, Anivia versus Lissandra, and maybe Sejuani and Ashe teaming up for one time to fight Lissandra mainly because they have to be involved with her plans as being descendants of the three sisters. I am still working out how Sejuani and Ashe are going to play into these following events involving Lissandra and the fortress.

Two final questions: How far of shot would it be to assume that trundles weapon was used by the Frost Watchers mainly because the only two other people to have magical ice weapons are Ashe and Sejuani? And, does anyone have any ideas on what Lissandra was doing during this rebellion? Did she hide, retreat, or maybe was maybe imprisoned by her sisters not wanting to kill her because of maybe some faint ties they felt to her as their sisters?

Please discuss and disprove any of my ideas in the comments below. I will be posting on here if I have any additional ideas as new information comes out. Oh and thank you Riot for giving me some awesome lore to think involving some of favorite champions in the League of Legends.

Update: I did some more searching and have found that, while Sejuani and Volibear both have similar goals for the Freljord as Ashe all be it by different methods. So this coupled with the alliance of Trundle and Lissandra I keep seeing several forces in play here. There is Sejuani and Volibear, Lissandra and Trundle, Ashe and Anivia. Though the common enemy is Lissandra and Trundle I feel that they are two under powered to take on the rest of Freljord. Reading Voli's new lore and the shop keepers message on the new proving grounds " If the Frost Watchers return I will blow a horn and thats when you must return. Bring an army; bring 10 armies and drive them back into the abyss." I feel that the watchers are in fact returning. This is made more believable when Volibear has his vission of his people being killed by creatures of ice. So then maybe not so under powered as I had thought

Also I had this new idea for Anivia. Instead of killing off champions to further along story. As it looks like would happen to Lissandra and Trundle; why not have Anivia be a villain for a time. There in she can be a the villain and still become a hero when the story demands she die to be reborn. Which I think works well with my previous theory of her absorbing the evil power. Now this does put Ashe in an even more dire situation. Then it struck me that she has Tryndamere as an ally so they two could be come an active force in this evolving story.

Side note: I was looking at the new proving grounds the level design seems to resemble that of Diablo's setting in their third act of the story. I just wanted to know if Diablo 3s level design had any influence on this or other maps?

kitae

Lead Designer

04-18-2013
1 of 1 Riot Posts

Cool speculation, good piecing together of the overall story.

cpmd4

04-18-2013

About Trundles weapon, it is made of true ice, which never melts. There are possibly more weapons of this type, as Gragas uses true ice in his brew and the hermit on the Howling Abyss acquired some too.

Secondly, Lissandra was rumored to having betrayed the Iceborn somehow. As well, she states that she got her revenge on Avarosa. As for the battle, I don't think she was present, that would be the only way she survived, I think.

As for your speculation on Anivia, that is a really interesting thought. Gregor, the viking shopkeeper on the HA map says to her "I remember your sacrifice".

Mennoknight55

04-18-2013

Based on the new lore on the PBE, Nunu and the Yeti aren't allied with Ashe anymore, unless something is happening outside of the lore.

Thornmaelstrom

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-18-2013

Definitely liking the bit about Anivia consuming the evil and purifying the land with her death.
Nunu is a small-fry champion in the politic scheme of things, but Trundle & Volibear represent how Freljord is changing and now capable of throwing off millenia-old restraints and carve its own future.

They are very real threats that will be key in determining the fate of Freljord, rather than letting it remain "the Sisters' little playground" everyone has gotten so used to it being.

cpmd4

04-18-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mennoknight55 View Post
Based on the new lore on the PBE, Nunu and the Yeti aren't allied with Ashe anymore, unless something is happening outside of the lore.
A Riot poster has confirmed they're still allied together.

Faptain Teemo

04-18-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitae View Post
Cool speculation, good piecing together of the overall story.
For some reason, I thought Kitae hit you with the 'cool story bro'

Had to go back and be sure she wasn't styling on the OP

Mennoknight55

04-18-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpmd4 View Post
A Riot poster has confirmed they're still allied together.
can I have sauce on that?

Alice Twilight

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-18-2013

Surprisingly I really want brand to fit into this somehow

Ecclesias

04-18-2013

Elaborating further on pur theory, maybe Lissandra did not outright her sisters in their faces and waited, perhaps putting Avarosa and Serylda against each other. That way Anivia current life could have happened when the split between the 3 tribes without remembering the Howling Abysm battle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice Twilight View Post
Surprisingly I really want brand to fit into this somehow
Maybe Brand was imprisoned by the watchers