Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Elo is dom.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Starrow

Recruiter

04-19-2013

lolking

Eloquid

04-20-2013

Quote:
FDru:
Average queue time is probably the only reliable way to guess elo these days. If you play with "tons of Revives omg" it is not because you are high elo. If you are in queue for 40 minutes between games consistently, it is because you are high elo.

There is certain range of what is high elo. I believe such long queue times are happening only at the high end of elo. One can have pretty normal queue times, and still be high elo. I don't think Dominion players pool is that small. But if you're in extremes of elo like Sauron, of course you'll be more or less alone.

baleofvale

04-20-2013

Quote:
osnapcracklenpop:
I see people talking about their elo, how exactly do you find out what your elo is?

Edit: So i have a win/loss different of about +65, would that put me in around the 1800 elo mark?

80% of the player base here think they are in the top 20% elo.

Each one will cite an unsubstantiated reason or non referable source. You will probably hear things like 'blah revive', or 'blah blah match times' or my personal favorite, 'my elo was high as hell last time Riot was publishing the #s.'

I'd say #s from lolking would be good if they collect a good random sample. But I don't know how they collect, if it is complete, or in a certain time range, or some other factor. They seem to collect all of my matches.

Pylair

04-20-2013

Quote:
baleofvale:
80% of the player base here think they are in the top 20% elo.

Each one will cite an unsubstantiated reason or non referable source. You will probably hear things like 'blah revive', or 'blah blah match times' or my personal favorite, 'my elo was high as hell last time Riot was publishing the #s.'

I'd say #s from lolking would be good if they collect a good random sample. But I don't know how they collect, if it is complete, or in a certain time range, or some other factor. They seem to collect all of my matches.

lawl, where do you get those numbers from? please dont tell me you believe this forum is representative of the entire player base,or that your personal experiences are any more accurate.

A Slime Appears

04-20-2013

Quote:
baleofvale:

That's a hilarious thing to say right after spewing a stat with no source or reasoning.

kavi

04-22-2013

Quote:
FDru:
Average queue time is probably the only reliable way to guess elo these days. If you play with "tons of Revives omg" it is not because you are high elo. If you are in queue for 40 minutes between games consistently, it is because you are high elo.

Quote:
Eloquid:
There is certain range of what is high elo. I believe such long queue times are happening only at the high end of elo. One can have pretty normal queue times, and still be high elo. I don't think Dominion players pool is that small. But if you're in extremes of elo like Sauron, of course you'll be more or less alone.

This entirely depends on what you perceive as "normal queue times" and "high elo". Yes, if you are solo queue and you are playing at a peak time, you may get a reasonably short queue, but it will still be substantially longer than an average queue for an average player.

I think FDru is quite right in that I start noticing substantially longer queue times long after I start noticing the absence of non-revive players when I'm on a winning streak However, people playing in the no-revive-but-short-queue bracket might well be in the top 30% or so of the playerbase. Whether this makes them "high Elo" or not is somewhat subjective.

KaWraith

04-22-2013

All the players from the top Dominate Dominion teams pop up in my games on a routine basis in Yoloqueue... That's probably my best indication of being high elo.

nephdj

04-22-2013

Quote:
FDru:

Actually thats a poor way of checking...
Unless talking about draft, as normal now look for elo's outside your range after a few mins since a few months ago.

Draft always takes 10mins+, as its really dead.

kavi

04-22-2013

Quote:
n3phx:
Actually thats a poor way of checking...
Unless talking about draft, as normal now look for elo's outside your range after a few mins since a few months ago.

Draft always takes 10mins+, as its really dead.

The MMR formula expands the range of the MMR of the people it matches you with from the instant you queue. The rate it expands at is a constant (though I'm not sure what it is). The formula is the same regardless of whether you're queueing for draft or blind; draft queues are longer simply because there are fewer players queueing.

While you are essentially correct, the matchmaker takes time to find other players outside your range, because it takes time to expand the range. The reason queue time becomes a decent indicator of Elo at higher Elo is that the Elo range at which you would find x amount of players queuing at a given moment is much wider at very high and very low Elo, compared to average Elo (assuming, as always, that you are in solo queue).

The principle of the matchmaker balances a first-come-first-serve basis with estimated player/team quality. It's actually quite refined for what it does and I'm not one to grief it. I rarely play a solo queue game on Dominion where the teams are seriously imbalanced. We just need more high Elo dominion players