Volibear - Freljord's Might - Chapter 1

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

CanadianGuyEh

04-17-2013

Freljord, a cold and unforgiving waste land of snow and ice. A place where the snow never stops blowing and the chilling winds are unforgiving. Almost nothing could ever thrive here. Almost.

“Chief?”

Volibear’s great blue eye opened to the call of a smaller Ursine. He stood and shook the thick and patching snow that clumped on his white fur.

“ You have been staring at the Maelstrom for days…. What bothers you?” Volibear turned his head to stare at the eternal storm. Lightning strayed out of its swirling purple clouds and the rumble of thunder always followed.

“The thunder calls” Volibear said to himself.

“Your strength weans, you must come back to the caves, to rest and eat” Volibear let out a growl of annoyance.

“Chief, you were the one to rally us together; you trimmed our fat and made our bodies strong again. You told us that darkness will consume and destroy all Freljord and its inhabitants, that we must always be strong and ready to defend our home. We need the great chief that was prophesied by our ancestors to lead us to victory. Like us, you must be strong and ready.” Volibear stood silently, pondering over what the dark furred Ursine had just told him. His logic was right and Volibear knew this. He turned his head to stare at the swirling maelstrom again, stray lightning bolts firing out at random times.

“The storm was here when the ancestors were here, it will be here tomorrow.” Volibear convinced himself; he turned and grumbled away with the ursine.

Volibear looked over at the young ursine that followed him. Volibear towered over the young ursine, Volibear’s fur was white and his pupils were a great blue, different from the normal ursine eye colours. His armor was created perfectly for Volibear, it was silver and blue, meant to take the heaviest hits in battle and till thrive. But what made Volibear stand out other then his size and armor, was his gauntlets. They were silver with runic writings scratched in. There were two gem like sockets that were bright blue and had constant movement inside them, almost like storms were brewing inside each one. These gauntlets held power that only the Great Chieftain could harness.

The young ursine had green eyes and was dark furred. His armor was bronze and was held together by leather straps, he kept chewing at his left foreleg gauntlet strap.

“young one, what is your name? I have not seen you dawn a set of armor” The Ursine stopped chewing his leather strap and looked up to him.
“My name is Korabear. I had just finished training, this was my first task as an ursine warrior, was to get the great Volibear.” Volibear let out a hearty laugh.
“To wake him up from his nap? Not so great of a Chief”
“The greatest of warriors seek wisdom before strength; I believe you felt the need to gain knowledge to lead us, that’s why you left yourself to be alone, to think.”
“You are extremely intelligent Korabear.” Korabear let out a laugh
“ I was one of the smallest Ursines training, strength was not my strongest suit, but I want to defend my home more then anything.”

Volibear was welcomed as he entered a giant cave, full of different coloured Ursines. The smell of deer, salmon, and rabbit hit his senses, and saliva filled his mouth. He nodded to each Ursine as he passed and they all bowed their head. There was a giant fire pit in the middle of this white stoned cave that raged angrily, casting a orange hue on everything in the cave. On top of the fire was spits full of food. But Standing beside the flames was the triumvirate.

“Welcome back, Volibear.” They said in united mono tone. Volibear nodded his head and grabbed a small deer by its head, its fur was lightly charred from it being over the fire but he could smell it was killed only hours ago. He walked over to where he normally eats, which a stone was shaped into a throne. The triumvirate never broke their eye contact with Volibear and watched him walk over to his seat. They still had a rage towards Volibear, but could not express it; they felt that the idea of a great darkness was nothing to be worried about.

The sky turned from grey to black, but the white snow still blew. Volibear sat by the fire, re thinking everything that he had seen and everything he had pondered. But his thoughts were interrupted. A call of pain and fear roared from outside of the cave.

“Attack! We are under attack!” Volibear immediately rose from by the fire; he could smell the rust of blood. A brown furred Ursine come running in, his armour covered in blood. In his arms he was holding another Ursine that was bleeding profusely.

It was Korabear.

Though Freljord kills any fire that starts, rage burned through Volibear’s veins like liquid magma.

“Brothers! Sisters! To arms!” Volibear roared. He ran out of the cave in a blinding rage. He looked down a cliff to the training ground below, he saw dark beings swarming around the training ground. They all had a blue symbol on their foreheads that was of an eye. They made sounds that no creature of this world would make and their bodies contorted in ways that made Volibear sick to his stomach. Volibear raised his gauntlets in the air, the sky started to flash with blinding lightning, thunder shook the ground and everyone’s hearts. Volibear’s entire eye turned blue as lightning struck Volibear, and his gauntlets absorbed the eternal power of the storm. He let out a roar that was louder then the mighty storm that brewed over all of Freljord.

“ATTACK!”

DragonTroopBeta

04-17-2013

Just finished reading this fine work.
Will be reading Chapter 2 when it is posted.
Though I have one complaint.
Korabear is a name with about as much effort put into it as Volibear.
8.5/10.

CanadianGuyEh

04-17-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonTroopBeta View Post
Just finished reading this fine work.
Will be reading Chapter 2 when it is posted.
Though I have one complaint.
Korabear is a name with about as much effort put into it as Volibear.
8.5/10.
thank you

I made it korabear cause well.... i thought it would be weird if there was only one character that had the name "bear" to it, so i thought that other Ursine would have lame last names, but im thinking to alter it a touch.

CanadianGuyEh

04-18-2013

b

CanadianGuyEh

05-04-2013

b