Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Shen and the Energy Crisis

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Die Nacht

11-09-2010

So I picked up Shen last week and I like. I'm a tank player and like his style and I loved the idea of a tank that doesn't use mana and can heal. But then, I started to notice that I was always out of energy. I could never have 100+ for my taunt (even though I didn't use it that often). I then remember when I played Akali and Ken and how I almost always had energy. So I checked Akali and Ken again and noticed why I'm always out of energy with Shen.

Akali: Akali's main attack is Mark of the Assassin --> Shadow Dance.

Mark of the assassin restorers 40 energy with attacked and costs 60 (when maxed). So overall you use 20. That leaves you with 180 to case shroud and Slash (120). Not counting regen, you still have enough to do more Mark and ult (since the ult is free) several times. By then the enemy is dead or flashed over a wall.

Ken: Ken has 2 ways of restoring energy: His passive and Rush.
Ken's common combo is Q->W->E->R or E->W->R.

For the first one he uses: 45(Q)+45(W)+100(E)-40(E)-25(Passive)+40(R)=165
If you did not touch the enemy with your E then 205. However, remember the energy regen, which would take care of that extra 5. By now the enemy is dead or flashed over a wall.
I think I don't have to show that the second path uses even less energy.

Also, his E ability (which is the restoring one) is easy enough to land.

And now we come to Shen. Shen has one restoring ability, E, who's cost is the highest of all ninja abilities. From 120 to 100. It is a skill shot which makes it hard to land. Also, it only restorers energy if it hits champs.
His usual combo is: E->Q->W (or W first then Q. Same thing).
Which costs 100-50+50+45=145. Now, do not even think that the fight is over. It is not, you do not do as much damage burst as Ken and Akali (like you should. You are a tank). But now you are in trouble. The average number of enemies Shen hits is 1 (if the enemy are all nicely together, then no prob. But that is rarely the case). It takes 10s to restore 100 energy (default regen is 50 energy/5) and you are probably going to be throwing blades and using your shield (which have a low CD), which will delay your E and your other abilities (since when you use them, it will bring you down to near zero). And his ult is 50, so that's gone (poor Carry).
And that's if you hit someone, if you didn't, then you are screwed. You are down to 5 energy and the fight hasn't even started.

So the result is you are always out of energy when you need it the most.

So please Riot, can you give Shen another way of restoring energy? Maybe attacks by Blade (restore energy to Shen AND HP?). Maybe taunted enemies that are attacked by allies restore some energy?
Akali doesn't need another restoring attack because she doesn't use any. Ken has 2 restoring abilities. Poor Shen however doesn't. He uses a lot of energy yet only has one way of restoring (and that skill is hard to land and you need at least 2 targets to make it restore a good enough amount).

tl;dr Shen needs another way of restoring energy. His E is not enough. I suggest his Q restores energy when as well as HP.

EDIT: Just found something out. Apparently E only restores energy once if you hit a target. I thought it restored more if you hit more target but that is not the case. I actually didn't know this. Which means that after your E->Q->W combo, you are left at a flat 145 regardless.

OblivionPaladin

11-09-2010

i agree with you, especially early game, of always having energy problems. However, so many people view shen as a top tier tank that anything that helps out his energy problems will frustrate a lot of people. Its a delicate balance and using vorpal blade less often will help for the taunt

Eliroo

11-09-2010

Shen does have energy problems but is it the only way to keep his taunt in check. Riot did this to balance him. He is still a very effect Tank in my book. but who knows maybe Shadow step costing a little bit less energy would be nice.

Die Nacht

11-09-2010

Maybe the energy is what keeps him check, but it just costs too much. At least make it a flat 100 for all lvls. That wouldn't make it OP because it only taunt for 0.5s at rank one (and then increases up to 2). Taunt doesn't actually work very well as a "taunt" early game. I use it mostly for cancels and moving around.

120 for one ability that you will probably miss or only hit one person? And if you do hit early game it will taunt for like <1s? that is too much.

Voyager I

11-09-2010

Shen is already one of the best tanks in the game. He doesn't need help.

The problem you're perceiving comes from a mindset that you should be able to dive into a team fight and spam all your abilities as soon as they come off cooldown, when the entire purpose of the energy mechanic is to force you to make conscious decisions about how you spend it over the short term. This is a counterbalance to the fact that you can regenerate your entire bar in 20 seconds.

In a team fight, your taunt is by far your most important ability. Treat it accordingly; don't miss, and save enough energy that you'll be able to use it again when the cooldown ends, even if it means passing up on a cooldown for your Q or W. Also, put levels in it fast. A few points spread between Q and W are enough to get you through the jungle/lane. Taunt is what's going to win the game.

ProbablyTerribad

Recruiter

11-09-2010

His taunt needs to restore energy based on how many enemy champions are hit. If you hit one, you get 50 back. But if you hit 3, you SHOULD get 150 back, in my opinion.

Eliroo

11-09-2010

After they increased the Energy cost on feint it is almost useless so yes build only Q -> E until they are both maxed out. And use your taunt effectively not stupidly. Shen shouldn't be spamming his Q during a battle but rather being ready to throw up his second taunt.

elWhiteNinja

11-09-2010

Shen used to be one of the best tanks, now i would not even put him in the top 5.

Amumu, and Galio are the best true tanks
Garen is better than him
Malphite has more tanking power and better cc
rammus if he does not have an abysmal early game way better.

Shen can change the course of a gank which makes him very valuable, but late game he does not have the tanking power that the manna based champs have, and he brings little to a loosing team. especially since they nerfed his ulti so it does not shield him

Chuckleface

11-09-2010

Install solar panels on him?

OT: Golem is always a good solution. Mostly you just need to conserve abilities a bit more while using. Akali is designed to be a skill-spamming assassin. Shen is not.

Styphathal

11-09-2010

QQ