Karthus a good champion?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Chopsticks2

11-09-2010

I have played karthus once or twice, but im not sure if he is worth buying because, I havent kept up with any nerfs or buffs on him. So I just want to get opinions from other players, on Karthus' difficulty, usefulness to the team, and whether or not he is fun to play.

Lu Caos

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-09-2010

All depends on your elo, he's a champion who can easily carry you to high elo, if you're good with him, though in higher elo's he drops in effectiveness quickly due to how easy it is to counter his usefulness.

Pros: A spamable longer ranged low mana casting moderate damaging aoe nuke.
The single best aoe slow in the game, albeit requireing thoughtful placement.
One of the best farmers in the game. ((Lategame will kill minions by walking by them with defile on.))
The highest "Sustained" aoe damage output of any champion in the game.
A global ranged nuke

cons
No survivability
A pretty painful difficulty curve when you get into higher elo's
Easily counterable by a well oraganized team.
Extreamly mana hungry. ((Can use well over 2000 mana during a teamfight depending on how long it goes on.))
Has to get in close to do full damage.

Larson McMurphy

11-09-2010

Karthus is very fun. He is difficult to use, but once you get over that he is very effective. I agree with everything Lu Caos said pretty much. Karthus can farm his ass off, and his wall of pain can give your team a huge advantage in a team fight, not to mention that it helps with escaping and chasing. The hardest thing is nailing people with lay waste, and finding the right time and place to use wall of pain. Smart opponents who are worried about your ult might pick up banshee's veil, or just run around with red elixirs in their inventory.

He does lack survivability, but you should be getting RoA as your first item with him anyway, which helps with that, plus his wall can help with escapes. He is extremely mana hungry, but between RoA and a tear of the goddess you should be fine.

If you're new to the game it may take a while to get good enough with him for it to be rewarding to play him, but its worth it.

Babbits

11-09-2010

Rated out of 10

Difficulty: 9/10 because leading with lay waste and timing wall of pain are very difficult, as is map awareness. Early game mana conservation is key, so being good at last hitting is crucial. You need to be able to gauge when to be in the center of a fight with defile on, and when to stay at the back nuking with lay waste. Also, knowing whether or not your ult will kill, given your opponent's magic resist and your penetration is crucial. Nothing is worse than a wasted requiem.

Usefulness to a Team: 6.5/10 because wall gives impressive slow and you deal a lot of damage in aoe. You lack any hard cc though, and your early game damage is relatively low. Karthus is very much a hard carry and needs lots of AP, and by extension money, to be useful. His ult is amazing throughout the game, and his late game damage is overwhelming. Karthus is best in team fights where he can deal out damage even if he dies.

Fun to Play: 10/10 Nothing is more fun than requieming a fleeing enemy or killing someone as a ghost.

Overall, go for it!

Devious Rogue

11-09-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babbits View Post
Rated out of 10

Difficulty: 9/10 because leading with lay waste and timing wall of pain are very difficult, as is map awareness. Early game mana conservation is key, so being good at last hitting is crucial. You need to be able to gauge when to be in the center of a fight with defile on, and when to stay at the back nuking with lay waste. Also, knowing whether or not your ult will kill, given your opponent's magic resist and your penetration is crucial. Nothing is worse than a wasted requiem.

Usefulness to a Team: 6.5/10 because wall gives impressive slow and you deal a lot of damage in aoe. You lack any hard cc though, and your early game damage is relatively low. Karthus is very much a hard carry and needs lots of AP, and by extension money, to be useful. His ult is amazing throughout the game, and his late game damage is overwhelming. Karthus is best in team fights where he can deal out damage even if he dies.

Fun to Play: 10/10 Nothing is more fun than requieming a fleeing enemy or killing someone as a ghost.

Overall, go for it!
Sums it up.

Also, once I was Karthus and someone tower-dived me but I came back as a ghost, Wall-Of Pained them then laid waste like mad. The tower helped a lot here and finished them off. I got First Blood. That's Karthus for you.