Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS


Rammus's Timing between Abilities?

12
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ared

Senior Member

11-09-2010

Seeing as it is Free Rammus Week I thought it would be appropriate to ask this.

I've owned Rammus for a while now and he's probably one of my top favorite champions, especially among tanks. I'm still refining my BO for him and it's steadily working out well. But there's this one -little- thing that irritates me when using him. In fights it almost seems to be a bit of CD lag between using his Taunt and Defensive Curl and sometimes Tremmors. In sudden team fights this is vital to almost a choosing game between the two. If I go Defensive Curl first then the carries on my team are going to get quite a bit of damage before I taunt. If I taunt first then I'll be focused down and dead.

You may think "Awww it's just a second between attacks" but let me tell you, seconds can mean a huge difference in team fights. Especially when you can't taunt off that Akali from destroying your Tristana.

Maybe I'm overreacting, but I've just noticed a lot when I go WE or EW that one or the other doesn't quite initiate sometimes until I hit it again. I personally think there should be 0 seconds of CD between using of abilities- unless it is on its normal, active cooldown (bold it so people don't think I'm saying there shouldn't be cooldowns ever). At the very least for taunt ability tanks like Rammus.

Feedback would be nice, and thanks for reading.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Veka

Senior Member

11-09-2010

Quote:
Ared:
Seeing as it is Free Rammus Week I thought it would be appropriate to ask this.

I've owned Rammus for a while now and he's probably one of my top favorite champions, especially among tanks. I'm still refining my BO for him and it's steadily working out well. But there's this one -little- thing that irritates me when using him. In fights it almost seems to be a bit of CD lag between using his Taunt and Defensive Curl and sometimes Tremmors. In sudden team fights this is vital to almost a choosing game between the two. If I go Defensive Curl first then the carries on my team are going to get quite a bit of damage before I taunt. If I taunt first then I'll be focused down and dead.

You may think "Awww it's just a second between attacks" but let me tell you, seconds can mean a huge difference in team fights. Especially when you can't taunt off that Akali from destroying your Tristana.

Maybe I'm overreacting, but I've just noticed a lot when I go WE or EW that one or the other doesn't quite initiate sometimes until I hit it again. I personally think there should be 0 seconds of CD between using of abilities- unless it is on its normal, active cooldown (bold it so people don't think I'm saying there shouldn't be cooldowns ever). At the very least for taunt ability tanks like Rammus.

Feedback would be nice, and thanks for reading.


I have no problem with him the only thing that piss me off is his Q when your using it and click on a target it wont hit them it would just stop infront of them...so you literally gotta click behind them that's just bs to me -_- but I kinda get what you mean with his E and W but I'm pretty sure it's not a second O_o ...


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ared

Senior Member

11-09-2010

Well, regardless of how much true lag is between abilities- it's probably a half a second, I couldn't find any true values for between-ability lag- it still irritates me.

And yes the powerball ordeal is a little annoying but I only really see that when I'm trying to jungle Rammus. Otherwise I always click behind my target anyways.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Frunk

Junior Member

11-09-2010

I've had Rammus for a little while....I've seen him used well before but I just don't get him.

He has a taunt, a defensive ability, an aoe ult, and a spin. The spin is terrible for chasing because if it nicks a creep you stop. How are you supposed to use his spin? Getting away?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Eddiot

Senior Member

11-09-2010

Quote:
Frunk:
I've had Rammus for a little while....I've seen him used well before but I just don't get him.

He has a taunt, a defensive ability, an aoe ult, and a spin. The spin is terrible for chasing because if it nicks a creep you stop. How are you supposed to use his spin? Getting away?


His Powerball has the same hit box as his normal self even though the image is smaller, it takes practice to steer around minions. It is used for Catching, running, ganking, Starting a fight.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Dragonix80

Senior Member

11-09-2010

Quote:
Frunk:
I've had Rammus for a little while....I've seen him used well before but I just don't get him.

He has a taunt, a defensive ability, an aoe ult, and a spin. The spin is terrible for chasing because if it nicks a creep you stop. How are you supposed to use his spin? Getting away?


One good strategy to use powerball is to hide in jungle. Once there, start using PB and wait til you build up speed then unleash it on your enemies. Your speed will be faster than they can run away and you should be able to catch them then unleash everything you have on them. Or hold them long enough for your teammates to finish him/her off.

Too many people are using PB just to clear minions. It has so much more potential if you use it right. And try learn to navigate yourself, avoid minions so you can catch your enemies.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ravel

Senior Member

11-09-2010

I've never really noticed a delay when using his abilities in succession. My advice, if you are having this problem, would be to prioritize taunt over DBC. Make sure you land your taunt, and then start trying to activate DBC.

You should have a decent amount of HP & Armor to tank whatever damage you receive from taunting the enemy champion. Plus most players will recognize the taunt "visual" on the enemy champion, signaling which target you think is most important to kill first.


I have also noticed that right-clicking on an enemy champion during Rammus's Powerball will cause him to stop short of his target. I believe it is because Rammus is trying to melee the opponent, even though Rammus's melee attack is disabled during his Powerball, and his melee range is greater than the Powerball hitbox.

Until they change it you have no option other than clicking behind them


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

sideout

Senior Member

11-09-2010

yup, I've seen the same delay problems too which is annoying. Sometimes I'll initiate, spam all my abilities and then notice that 2 of them never went off and I have to re-do. soox hard.

And then there is powerball not hitting so you sit there spinning in their face while they melt you, soox harder.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Keldjor

Member

11-09-2010

I use Rammus aton, was my 1st champ i bought. Complaining about the clicking behind or in front of ppl while in PB, well.... might be annoying, but has another great use - PB chase (click on the champ - he'll stay in range of everything at your disposal), hit AE(rides within range), which slows them down and keep them in range of taunt once PB ends, taunt, hit DBC and once they start running away again (if they arnt dead),PB them and repeat.
The delay in using abilities ive noticed alot here lately, esp in teamfights or overcrowded areas, think i hit the taunt or AE only to see it still lit up and the champ running away.. annoying yes.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ared

Senior Member

11-09-2010

I've personally never had a problem with Powerball itself but I see other Rammus have that problem. It seems like the collision effect seems to 'decide' when it wants to hit. Sometimes you can be breathing down their neck and it won't it and other times it'll be a half of a "block" (think of seeing the map in a grid fashion) away and it'll hit.

As for chasing/ganking, the "Charge up in a Bush" trick I do a lot, be at 60-70% max speed and bolt out and hit the target, taunt, shield, tremmor. Leaving the bush immediately while at low speed will be "lol here he comes *walks away*" and on top of that, many Rammus that don't fully grasp- for the time being- that you have to click behind them for it to really work so it may just be a moot gank in the first place. Plus Powerball should pretty much be used almost any chance you get when you are moving. It gets you around the map MUCH faster and easier to get into ganking mode, or to move to clear that camp of creeps bot lane seemed to forget about that is now hitting down the tower however slow it's going.

Anyways, it seems like I'm not the only one that's noticed any type of 'lag' and I doubt this would be anywhere in Riot's Priority List which is fine. I was just curious if anyone else noticed this or else if I was just crazy and I need to go get checked in.


12