Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

The True Glass Cannon Kassadin: Stacking AP Like It's Your Birthday

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Almagest

01-15-2010

I don't understand why more people don't use Lichbane with Kassadin. It's like it's tailor made for him -- Rift in, smack, Force Pulse, smack, Null Sphere, smack. It's free damage, and gets beastly with Mejai's Soulstealer.

AIM7Sparrow

01-15-2010

Quote:
Almagest:
I don't understand why more people don't use Lichbane with Kassadin. It's like it's tailor made for him -- Rift in, smack, Force Pulse, smack, Null Sphere, smack. It's free damage, and gets beastly with Mejai's Soulstealer.

a very valid question.

the reason (at least concerning my build and recommended playstyle) is as follows:

My playstyle revolves around repeated hit and retreat tactics. Rift in, null sphere and force pulse, and rift or just walk back out. This is essential to do because I don't invest into any survivability items in favor of applying max damage. Although force pulse has a relatively short range, it's still not melee. You can force pulse and back off, while slowing your target and making good your escape. First of all, since you null sphered them, chances are you will get out of any sort of casting range before their silence wears off. Second, since you never closed to melee distance, this leaves you vulnerable only to ranged DPS attack, which you should be extremely cautious of anyways. By getting the lichbane as anything except your absolute last item assuming the game lasts that long, you are putting yourself in extra danger by forcing yourself to close distance and make use of the lichbane instead of just retreating and waiting for NS and FP to cooldown and recharge.

However, when you do get to the point that you really have nothing left to buy, lich bane, along with Rylai's and Abyssal Scepter are all very good choices to me.

Hope that helped =]

Almagest

01-16-2010

An interesting note, for sure. My play style is much different from yours.

I tend to harrass with Null Sphere, get a gauge for how much damage I can do, then Rift, hit, Force Pulse/Null Sphere, hit, Force Pulse/Null Sphere, hit. Burns down enemy champs very fast; I go for Lichbane early on; I find it helps my DPS output a lot.

But then, I guess I tend to play a little more dangerously too.

Hugenaught

01-16-2010

Something I find with Kassidin is that his build is similar to Annie's. What about defensive items (+Health/Armor/Magic Resist) that also have +mana instead of a pure mana item?

AIM7Sparrow

01-16-2010

Quote:
Almagest:
An interesting note, for sure. My play style is much different from yours.

I tend to harrass with Null Sphere, get a gauge for how much damage I can do, then Rift, hit, Force Pulse/Null Sphere, hit, Force Pulse/Null Sphere, hit. Burns down enemy champs very fast; I go for Lichbane early on; I find it helps my DPS output a lot.

But then, I guess I tend to play a little more dangerously too.

see that works, but it's only effective 1v1. you're usually a top target for enemies so getting a lichbane gets you killed in team fights if you try to use it and it's just money wasted if you don't. only useful 1v1 or tower pushing

AIM7Sparrow

01-16-2010

Quote:
Hugenaught:
Something I find with Kassidin is that his build is similar to Annie's. What about defensive items (+Health/Armor/Magic Resist) that also have +mana instead of a pure mana item?

mana regen isn't a good idea on kassadin. kassadin uses high mana costing spells in quick succession. they all have low cooldown too. for this reason, we need to maximize our mana pool to be able to get out as many skills in the short time-frame battles consist of. in addition, we need huge reserves of mana to be able stack multiple riftwalks and be able to chase or especially flee when in trouble.

his build is actually not similar to annie's. annie's spells have more range than kassadin and summon tibbers puts her well beyond your 1-2-3 combo. not to mention she can stun and doesn't need the huge stores of mana that kassadin does. although I'm not an expert on her, I don't think she has any use for tear and might focus a bit more on mpen and getting a soulstear thanks to her range and stun.

Hugenaught

01-16-2010

I never said Mana regen. I said + Mana. I don't use +Mana regen with annie, and I do have huge stores of mana as Annie.

AIM7Sparrow

01-16-2010

Quote:
Hugenaught:
I never said Mana regen. I said + Mana. I don't use +Mana regen with annie, and I do have huge stores of mana as Annie.

if you read at least any part of my guide then you would know that one of my main focuses is getting a huge mana pool. I didn't think anyone would ask "should I get a large mana pool on Kassadin" after having stated it about thirty times throughout my guide and subsequent posts. that's why I assumed you meant mana regen, especially since the technically correct way of writing mana regen stats is +X Mana Regen per 5

also, this isn't an Annie thread so I'm not going to comment on her builds. (and again I don't know much about her so yeah)

Lord Doviculus

01-20-2010

Really nice, well written guide, and this is probably the most effective Kassadin build; in theory. In my experience , you're entirely dependent on whomever you're up against. If they have the slightest idea just what they're doing, no matter how many Riftwalks you can stack, they gonna murder your fragile little ass. You simply can't participate in fights, because you have to keep away to use your combo, but if you do riftwalk in, they nuke you in three seconds flat. You can chase faster than anyone, which is a great way to run into ganks, and get farmed, even if you kill the guy. It is simply not possible to avoid all damage with riftwalking, and it's just useless against champs like Ryhze or Eve.
Of course, if they don't know what they're doing, you're going to be the king of the hill, but that's not as likely, so you shouldn't base you guide on that.
I usually go for an AP build with Mejai's, but I just can't rack up kills without solid HP. A pure tank build is just stupid, as it defeats the whole purpose of Kass, but it's just not wise to always depend on your mobility for survival. I think it's only really viable in very specific situations, like against a whole team of big noobs.

AIM7Sparrow

01-20-2010

just a quick note, you are able to riftwalk while snared in Ryze's Rune Prison so Ryze is actually not a huge threat to Kassadin. That, and the fact that Ryze spams weaker spells more frequently let's you naturally tank his damage with your passive. Of course, his desperate power 1-2-3-4 combo could end you quickly if it's 1v1 so beware.