Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

The True Glass Cannon Kassadin: Stacking AP Like It's Your Birthday

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

AIM7Sparrow

01-13-2010

Quote:
Dr Niles Aquatic:
I played a few games with this build and am very pleased with it. Yes, my survivability is garbage, but I quickly learned to be an ever-present opportunist. Kassadin is very exciting to play.

In the final game of the night, I believe I went something like 11-0-17, ending the game with full Soulstealer stacks and over 600 AP with an eilixir of brilliance.

=D Glad to hear it.

Yes survivability is garbage with this build. That's why riot gave us riftwalk. Everyone say thanks riot.

AIM7Sparrow

01-13-2010

Quote:
Zizzefex:
If you go Rod of Ages, Mejas, Rod, Lichbane, finish with Zhonya's... you literally have over 700 AP when your rods and Mejas are fully charged, while you have over 3k hp/mana to burn through as well. I kind of use this build on almost every caster....

Catalyst, boots, Meja, finish Sorc boots, finish Rod right away, finish 2nd Rod right away, Lichbane, Zhonya's. Only drawback is no -cooldown but lets be real.... Kass NEEDS the golem buff to keep his mana recharging for rift spam.

although ideally this build seems extremely effective, there are two compounding problems with it.

The first is that going RoA as your first item is painfully slow. You don't receive any significant AP for a long time. The second is that this directly relates to how well you'll be able to build stacks on your soulstealer. Without an initial stock of AP you'll have trouble out damaging the rest of your team.

Also, this build is extremely expensive, haha. You'd have to farm like a god to be able to afford all that stuff. Believe me if I could, my build every time would consist of: Sorc Shoes, Archangel's Staff, Zhonya's, RoA x2, Abyssal Scepter. xD

Dev Remming

01-14-2010

This is a sound guide, reminds me alot of the First Kassa guide I ever read (which its item build was exactly what Zizz said, But It had you build Tear first [Which I still do and laugh at cata] Get boot 1 (possibly boot 2 if needed) then Soul stealer (finish boots if haven't done so) [By the way this guide was back before boots were magic pen so boots gave speed plus 30 ap which was decent at beginning game). And eventually slowly Builds its way up to what he said.

I do miss the good Ol' Days of Awesome Mejai.
~~~

The one thing I didn't see though for this guide is I didn't see any Summoner spell preferences.

Was wondering on your Preference.

I personally Always Run Cleanse, For kassa I Feel this skill is almost a must. Especially for Running away (And I'm talking Pre OP cleanse I was using cleanse since Closed beta always) Nothing is better then having someone come out for a gank snare you just for you to rift away.

What I mean by this is If I'm looking Dangerous I've had ganks attempt to go off on me, At the time (Kinda reliving my past glories by saying this) It would be something Like Ashe ults me. I'm stunned, I cleanse Rift walk away tower hug and either Hunt the would be gankers or Back off depending on my awesome factor at the momment (or If I felt being badass).
~~~~

So Yeah I personally always run cleanse, Second spell for Kassa I usually wait on. Depending on team if we need a Fort I'll take it but more often then not I grab Teleport (I do what you do, get enough for Tear go back, buy tear teleport in since kassa kinda has pathetic Run speed IMO).

Gigg

01-14-2010

Quote:
Dev Remming:

I personally Always Run Cleanse, For kassa I Feel this skill is almost a must. Especially for Running away (And I'm talking Pre OP cleanse I was using cleanse since Closed beta always) Nothing is better then having someone come out for a gank snare you just for you to rift away.

What I mean by this is If I'm looking Dangerous I've had ganks attempt to go off on me, At the time (Kinda reliving my past glories by saying this) It would be something Like Ashe ults me. I'm stunned, I cleanse Rift walk away tower hug and either Hunt the would be gankers or Back off depending on my awesome factor at the momment (or If I felt being badass).
~~~~

IMO, laning is not what you should do after lvl 7-8. (About getting hit by ashe arrow for sitting in a lane) Yes, you can go in a lane to kill some creeps, but focus on looking your map. Any heros you see on your map is your target. Nobody on the map? Try to go get golem or make a team of 2/3 to gank their woods. Thats why I run with teleport/ignite. Generally, early game, people are in lanes. Also, if you are not visible at the start of a team fight, high chances are that ashe's arrow or most CC will already have been used.

Ignite is, in my opinion again, the way to get kills early and even late its still usefull. A level 6 carry cannot tank the extra dmg from ignite, espescially since now cause it reducing healing by 50%. When you see a physical carry, silence + slow + ignite will take at least 50% off their hp bar if you hav'nt fed. The sound also tend to make people run when they are ignited. Level 18, its a free 500 dmg that break through the 200 magic armor.

Teleport is just a good way to get free kills. When a 2v2 fight starts in a lane, teleport there, kill whats alive. If a carry is at 50% hp, its mostly a free kill.

Edit : Also, I prefer soulstealer the way he is right now. You can have more AP with the new then the old! And if you play with the sam people a few time, they want you to keep your charges... They will support you.

AIM7Sparrow

01-14-2010

@Dev Remming: oh I completely forgot about summoner spells, thanks for reminding me. yes I would highly recommend taking cleanse. you already have a built in flash so you shouldn't have problems running away from people. cleanse takes care of any stuns, plus it's cooldown is super short. as for the second spell there are options.

Personally, I've never been a fan of ignite but I'll have to give it a try. I just think it's a very one-directional spell, (that direction being straight offensive.)

At the time I wrote this guide my spells always consisted of Cleanse/Teleport but recently I've been dropping teleport. It becomes less and less useful late game. Taking teleport however is a very strong choice since Kassadin is a weak farmer and easy to harass so you might be making frequent base trips and fall behind in exp.

My final verdict however would be Cleanse/Flash. Usually when you find yourself in trouble it's because you might have overextended with riftwalk and gotten crowd controlled somehow. A silence or stun can get you killed. Even mass focus fire can take you down before your riftwalk cooldowns in time to make it out safe. Cleanse/Flash is a nearly uncrackable escape mechanism on Kassadin.

So,
Cleanse/Flash
Cleanse/Teleport
Cleanse/Heal
Cleanse/Exhaust

(All acceptable in order of my preference)

@Gigg: The problem is that around lv 7-8 you still lack any hard killing power like Shaco, Trist and Fiddle have. Yes you have a teleport like the three above but you have only one threatening nuke that needs to be charged up.

The second problem is that Kassadin is already a terrible farmer. Trying to participate in out of lane ganks might take your already weak HP bar down and force you to make much more town trips. Keep in mind that enemies will constantly be roaming and trying to gank as well. You can expect to be ambushed on your way to a gank often enough to discourage you from doing it until you can hold your own and/or have enough mana charged from tear to be able riftstack enough for an escape.

For these reasons I highly recommend waiting until level 11 to start participating in ganks. The reasons are twofold: Riftwalk cooldown is decreased at this point so you can chase/run a lot easier. Null Sphere is now at level 3 now so it's will at least do some respectable damage, especially if you've done a good job farming and have a few blasting wands up your sleeve.

The Senate

Recruiter

01-14-2010

Sniperness, do you use Deathfire Grasp?

AIM7Sparrow

01-14-2010

Quote:
The Senate:
Sniperness, do you use Deathfire Grasp?

I've tried it on Kassadin and I think there are better items for him. Yes the extra nuke is nice but it's nice on anyone and I don't think it's worth spending 2600 on, especially since Kassadin doesn't require cooldown reduction so you're basically throwing money away on something that doesn't help you.

Also, DFG becomes less and less useful as you face larger groups of enemies. That's why I think buying something with magic penetration or pure AP bonuses would be much better.

Lastly, building the DFG is a pain in the ass. All the items that build up to it are nearly useless on Kassadin and I feel helpless until I finish it. Not good for such a weak early-game character to begin with.

AIM7Sparrow

01-14-2010

I am strongly opposed to boots of mobility. you won't do more damage running faster. you won't chase fleeing opponents any faster (since you'll never get out of combat hitting them with riftwalk). and you shouldn't be ganking until you have a big enough mana pool to stack multiple riftwalks anyways, at which point takes care of your mobility needs anyways.

As for whether or not you take teleport you make a valid point. I do have to say that I think you should be fine taking a sapphire crystal and 2 HP pots as your starting items with or without teleport. It's hard for us to not keep in line with our creeps when they push but it's the safer thing to do and in the long run will actually let you train faster from all the harassment you save. I've never tried faerie charm but it doesn't seem like a good choice over sapphire crystal. Remember you want to be porting to town as soon as you can buy your tear. Starting out with faerie charm means you have to lane longer to do so since you won't have as much initial mana to quickly farm creeps with Null Sphere.

Gigg

01-14-2010

Quote:
Sniperness:

@Gigg: The problem is that around lv 7-8 you still lack any hard killing power like Shaco, Trist and Fiddle have. Yes you have a teleport like the three above but you have only one threatening nuke that needs to be charged up.

The second problem is that Kassadin is already a terrible farmer. Trying to participate in out of lane ganks might take your already weak HP bar down and force you to make much more town trips. Keep in mind that enemies will constantly be roaming and trying to gank as well. You can expect to be ambushed on your way to a gank often enough to discourage you from doing it until you can hold your own and/or have enough mana charged from tear to be able riftstack enough for an escape.

Thats where ignite make the difference. It does give you the extra dmg to get that level 7-8 kill but also before that. And I think that level 9-16 is your strongest levels. As soon as you have force pulse level 5, you can defenitively do alot of dmg. Also, at that time, you one shot kill all ranged creeps with force pulse, which makes him a pretty good at getting money.

AIM7Sparrow

01-14-2010

yeah at lv 9 you should have no problem taking out ranged creeps. and I see your point with the ignite. seems very viable. just be careful though because it's still useless for defense and you definitely don't have enough mana in those early levels to riftstack away. that's why I like flash instead. great for chasing and escaping alike.