Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

The True Glass Cannon Kassadin: Stacking AP Like It's Your Birthday

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Gamecmdr

12-31-2009

I... Love... This.. Guide.

no seriously this is great, id been looking for a good guide for kass as id played him before with little success (i'd never read a guide so i tried chalice -> sheen-> nashers tooth ->lich bane as my core, and only getting one level of force pulse early{i was noob}) this covers everything, except what to do about the mejais change. i don't like mejais much because i tend to not go on kill streaka, which is where mejais is strongest.

but the skill build and mindset tips, as well as the direction of the itm build has done wonders.

Senix

Recruiter

01-12-2010

I bought Kass after watching a friend go 31/0/18 on him. He made Kass look so easy. I played him and lost 8 games in a row. I'd read a lot of guides including TheSenate but nothing was helping. I read your guide, and my next game I went 18/1/10 and I've been getting 9+ even on a bad game. I like the Soulstealer. I use it every game, and I max it a lot. If you play with the HR tactics I die MAYBE 2 times. 'Cept last game, we had a leaver and my entire team fed. I died 4 XD So props! Great Guide.

Gigg

01-12-2010

This built is funny. I often hear the word "brutal" and "what the hell!!?" and my favorite is "Double Kill"

personally, I go
ToG
Soulstealer
Sorcerer/mercury
Zonyas
Abyssal/Void Staff/Nashor/ GA /

At this point, you have 550 AP. Buy an elixir, around 600 AP.

Tactics listed by Sniperless are scarily good. I would add only this. Try, as much as possible, to avoid riftwalking into team fights unless its already won. Riftwalking in with the 5 man alive will generally get you killed.
Just run and land Force pulse/silence. Then look how it goes. If your 550 AP took down 70% of that Yi's life bar and their team started fleeing, you still have RiftWalk ready. (Yes, you tear apart Yi.)

Also, don't chase 3 low life heroes that knows what they do and wait for you in that bush. They willl CC you and you will die. Even if you are 25-1, you are still squishy and die easily.

Also, your worst ennemies are also shaco, gankplank and fiddle.
Shaco can move around the corners and walls almost as easily as you and deals **** load of dmg too. The first to hit generally win the fight.
Gankplank can crit 60% of your health bar. And a lucky Cannon Barrage can kill you in less then 3 seconds.
The fear of fiddle will always be on you... Always. He keeps it and will flash to you and fear you to death.

One more thing, playing with CC magnets like twitch is good for you. Lets you rack up kills while they focus somebody else.

And one more lastt hing

Alistar is your best friend. Probably one of the strongest lane combo I ever saw. Corki is a great lane combo too.

And the last last thing is, soloing mid is great. Being level 9 before everyone else lets you rack up kills. (Level 5 force pulse) However, I like a tristanna in my team being higher then me because it pull off some focus off you. If you do well, they well eventually switch back to you, but it might have give you 12-13 stealer charges.

Sorry for writing a post that long <.<

Dr Niles Aquatic

01-12-2010

I played a few games with this build and am very pleased with it. Yes, my survivability is garbage, but I quickly learned to be an ever-present opportunist. Kassadin is very exciting to play.

In the final game of the night, I believe I went something like 11-0-17, ending the game with full Soulstealer stacks and over 600 AP with an eilixir of brilliance.

AIM7Sparrow

01-13-2010

Wow. I have to say I appreciate all the above comments SO much. To be honest I almost gave up on this thread. I hadn't even checked it for over a month simply because I believed I wasted my time posting such a huge guide and having no one appreciate it. But wow, thanks a lot guys. It really means a lot. I will get to work on updating this guide for the next patch and responding to all your comments right away.

Thanks again, everyone. You have renewed my faith in the LoL community. Not just because you liked my guide, but because your comments have been incredibly intelligent and constructive. God speed.

Kadzin

01-13-2010

Nice guide
Although I prefer to play physical damage Kas
I do agree on the Power of AP build
Do a DP Kas guide now plz xD

AIM7Sparrow

01-13-2010

Quote:
Kadzin:
Nice guide
Although I prefer to play physical damage Kas
I do agree on the Power of AP build
Do a DP Kas guide now plz xD

unfortunately, a DPS build is not viable on kassadin. other carries have innate attack speed/damage abilities which Kassadin is severely lacking in. Void stone hardly counts. as close to DPS as you could get with kassadin is getting a lichbane near your end game in which you would be doing a potential 500-700 damage attack every three seconds, depending on how high your AP is.

AIM7Sparrow

01-13-2010

Quote:
Gigg:

Alistar is your best friend. Probably one of the strongest lane combo I ever saw. Corki is a great lane combo too.

And the last last thing is, soloing mid is great. Being level 9 before everyone else lets you rack up kills. (Level 5 force pulse) However, I like a tristanna in my team being higher then me because it pull off some focus off you. If you do well, they well eventually switch back to you, but it might have give you 12-13 stealer charges.

Sorry for writing a post that long <.<

Although Alistar is great for keeping your HP up and letting you venture out a bit further into your lane to last hit creeps and whatnot, he isn't the optimal partner to lane with if you are looking for an early kill or first blood. Alistar tends to telegraph a lot since he is a melee character with close range abilities. If a lv 4 alistar starts making his way past the creeps towards me, I know he's about to try and stun -> headbutt me.

I highly suggest laning with a blitzcrank if you can. Blitzcrank has an insane amount of zone control due to his rocket grab threat so you can safely farm for a long time. This is really important since you suck at farming to begin with. Also, Kassadin is a character who tends to not telegraph at all. You can never be sure when a Kassadin will riftwalk over to you because of it's short cooldown. What this allows you to do is to just farm and mind your own business while your Blitzcrank lanemate focuses on snagging an opponent. That's when you all of a sudden riftwalk over and burn through 500 of your victim's HP in half a second. The best part is, you don't need to type to coordinate ganks! Just keep within distance of blitz and you can participate whenever he grabs.

Lastly, soloing mid is actually a terrible thing to do with kassadin. While you do massive burst damage end game, you still aren't a true carry. You have no stun and are prone to crowd control due to your close range and extreme squishyness. On top of all that, if the enemy knows what they're doing, they'll have your tower pushed within 10 minutes. Kassadin just can't kill fast enough early game to hold back a tower push. Try to never be the solo as Kassadin.

AIM7Sparrow

01-13-2010

Quote:
taconight:
thx for the guide, i made more of a hybrid that worked really well for me. the guide really helped me understand how to play kass i went 14/4/20 last game.

i start off with meki pendant, 2hp pots. work my way into sheen, lichbane and rylai's and then go warmogs, and all health items. i was able to tank pretty well in team fights as well as silence slow and nuke worked really good.

cheers m8 on a excellent guide.

if that works for you the only suggestion I have is to save lichbane for after rylai's. lichbane is too expensive and you lack the AP to make it more effective than a sheen at that stage of the game. plus, since you in fact are so low on AP killing would be that much harder for you. getting rylai's earlier allows you to chase much easier seeing as how your low mana pool won't support more than 4 riftstacks and a combo.

Warmog's needs to leave though, lol. if anything get rod of ages instead.

AIM7Sparrow

01-13-2010

Quote:
Gamecmdr:
I... Love... This.. Guide.

no seriously this is great, id been looking for a good guide for kass as id played him before with little success (i'd never read a guide so i tried chalice -> sheen-> nashers tooth ->lich bane as my core, and only getting one level of force pulse early{i was noob}) this covers everything, except what to do about the mejais change. i don't like mejais much because i tend to not go on kill streaka, which is where mejais is strongest.

but the skill build and mindset tips, as well as the direction of the itm build has done wonders.

a preliminary suggestion I can give for non-meja's users is the following build:

Sapphire Crystal + 2 HP Pots
-> Tear of Goddess
Blasting Wand x3
Boots 1
-> Zhonya's Ring (1 Non-upgraded blasting wand left in inventory)
Blasting Wand
-> Archangel's Staff (Still 1 Non-upgraded blasting wand left in inventory)
Sorc Shoes/Merc Treads
EITHER: (pick based what you need)
-Rylai's
-Abyssal Scepter/(Void Staff only if multiple enemies have over 70-80 magic resist)
-Lichbane

The reason I'd get 3 blasting wands before working to zhonya's ring is to help out the early-mid game. Zhonya's takes 1950 I believe to build after getting the 2 blasting wands and that's a long time before receiving any help to your damage output. Getting three blasting wands will let you get to 120 AP pretty fast and help you net kills and farm better. You should be able to force pulse -> riftwalk caster creeps at this point and kill all three of them. Boots usually comes next and then start saving for your zhonya's. this will bring you to 175 AP along with the extra 500 mana boost. Tear of the goddess usually won't have given you its max mana at this point so it won't be as effective to upgrade to the archangel's as it would be to just buy another blasting wand. after that, go ahead and upgrade one of them into archangel's and you'll get a very nice 100+ AP from both zhonay's passive and it's own. finish your shoes (I almost always go sorc) and then upgrade your last blasting wand into whatever you need.

A brief outline of which of the last three items to get:
Rylai's: If the game is consisting almost exclusively of team fights
Abyssal: If there is another, more potent caster on your team who receives the majority of focus fire (veigar/annie)
Lichbane: If you plan on pushing/"backdooring" or find yourself chasing solo enemy heroes a lot/not as many team fights as usual. (useful if a Yi or Twitch is trying to backdoor you guys, this item lets you outright butt heads with twitch and win or HR against a Yi and win)