The True Glass Cannon Kassadin: Stacking AP Like It's Your Birthday

1234567 ... 13
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Dahras

12-08-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperness View Post
What it comes down to at the end of the game is what you believe the true role of your character is. No one in their right mind would go carry DPS on morganna or AP build for Trynd. I believe that Kassadin's true purpose is to deal as much damage as he truly can with his burst combo and then do it again, shortly after, since his cooldowns are all so incredibly low. That being said, there are two ways of being able to accomplish this. AP for the damage, and mana for the repetitions. Thus, I have designed this build to be able to do just that. It takes some getting used to and it's different from almost every other champion in the game, but I feel like that's Kassadin's true calling.
I totally agree that the true role of a character is defined in what they bring to the end game (which can include a weakened enemy if they are expert gankers) but I have to disagree that getting a DFG hurts the hit and run burst of Kass late.

Sure, you miss about 40-50 AP but you gain a hard tank counter (like a caster mandreds... because I'd sure as hell like taking 1k health off that Cho in one spell more than 50 AP) and a decent spell on the first burst to possibly instakill a caster and leave your team 4v5.

Just look at it like this. If you hit and run, say, three times in a team battle, you gain 300 damage from sacrificing the DFG for 50 AP, which means as long as the person you hit with the DFG has at least 1200 health, you break even. Plus, even if you hit someone who has less health than that, you still get at least 200 damage per team battle out of the item. As the game goes on, and the enemy get more and more health, DFG just becomes better and better. For example, if you hit a Mundo with 3k health with the DFG, you did 750 damage! 450 more than that 50 AP. And thats not counting in the 3% bonus for each 100 AP you have.

AIM7Sparrow

12-08-2009

yeah I actually never meant to completely rule out the DFG. sorry if I came across as doing so. the DFG does indeed seem like a very strong choice. I guess it just comes down to the team you're playing against. Another thing you should consider is other people on your team possibly getting the DFG instead of you who would actually benefit more from it, (since Kassadin doesn't really need any cooldown, although it's nice to have.) Lastly, keep in mind that by buying the DFG, you're putting off buying the other core items of this build. Zhonya's and Archangel's Staff are a must have. The 2600 that goes into DFG sets getting these items back quite a bit. So in actuality, you end up losing more than just 55 AP for quite a long period of the game. Setting back your Zhonya's costs you 25% of all the AP you would've had + the 35 extra AP it provides over DFG. You're looking at losing up to 85 AP without the Zhonya's and ANOTHER 95 without the Archangel's.

Play around though and see what you have the most success with. To be honest, I always forget to use my DFG's active in the heat of the battle anyways so I'm kind of turned off to it. Hahaha (I know I should learn though)

Bait

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-08-2009

Quote:
fail guides receiving more attention than carefully analyzed ones ftw. bump -_-
yeah... that's true. my guides are void of comments.

AIM7Sparrow

12-08-2009

i'd love to look it over. you seem very knowledgeable and I'd be glad to comment. =D

link?

Dahras

12-08-2009

Quote:
yeah I actually never meant to completely rule out the DFG. sorry if I came across as doing so. the DFG does indeed seem like a very strong choice. I guess it just comes down to the team you're playing against. Another thing you should consider is other people on your team possibly getting the DFG instead of you who would actually benefit more from it, (since Kassadin doesn't really need any cooldown, although it's nice to have.) Lastly, keep in mind that by buying the DFG, you're putting off buying the other core items of this build. Zhonya's and Archangel's Staff are a must have. The 2600 that goes into DFG sets getting these items back quite a bit. So in actuality, you end up losing more than just 55 AP for quite a long period of the game. Setting back your Zhonya's costs you 25% of all the AP you would've had + the 35 extra AP it provides over DFG. You're looking at losing up to 85 AP without the Zhonya's and ANOTHER 95 without the Archangel's.

Play around though and see what you have the most success with. To be honest, I always forget to use my DFG's active in the heat of the battle anyways so I'm kind of turned off to it. Hahaha (I know I should learn though)
Its all cool. I just got used to using the DFG early I guess so it has worked really well for me. I definitely see your point though. It is another button/CD to remember which can be tough and if you aren't constantly using it the AP loss will really add up. I've tried a few games without it and I just kept reaching for the three key (your problem in reverse X_X). I think I'll try a few more games without it (with your build this time) and see how it goes.

Bait

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-08-2009

it's in this list:
http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...ad.php?t=28809

wrote one for blitz and teemo. they have comments now... but for the blitz guide, nobody responded to it for 2 weeks when i first posted it.

blitz guide:
http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...ad.php?t=18110

teemo:
http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...ad.php?t=23034

AIM7Sparrow

12-08-2009

those aren't Kassadin!! haha, I don't consider myself authority enough on either of those characters to contribute much. however I do have a question on the blitz one. (see thread)

Khenker

12-30-2009

@Sniperness: I did not find the lenght of your guide in the least disturbing. The "mindset" sections as opposed to 'buy this in that order' I find to be the most sensible guiding aspect yet, since every build supposes an, albeit perhaps only slightly, different play style.

@more generally: One thing that made reading this thread so enjoyable for me, was the fact that I did not have to wade through a great bulk of weak/not-thought-out arguments... so in terms of comments the generall lack of quantity has most certainly benefitted the quality of the thread as a whole. I hope to see the any further progress of your ideas on post patch Kass' to continue complementing this thread.

Cheers

P.S.: I realize that by letting my emotions run rampant I have added to the unwelcome 'bulk', but I just could not contain myself

taconight

12-31-2009

thx for the guide, i made more of a hybrid that worked really well for me. the guide really helped me understand how to play kass i went 14/4/20 last game.

i start off with meki pendant, 2hp pots. work my way into sheen, lichbane and rylai's and then go warmogs, and all health items. i was able to tank pretty well in team fights as well as silence slow and nuke worked really good.

cheers m8 on a excellent guide.

Zizzefex

12-31-2009

If you go Rod of Ages, Mejas, Rod, Lichbane, finish with Zhonya's... you literally have over 700 AP when your rods and Mejas are fully charged, while you have over 3k hp/mana to burn through as well. I kind of use this build on almost every caster....

Catalyst, boots, Meja, finish Sorc boots, finish Rod right away, finish 2nd Rod right away, Lichbane, Zhonya's. Only drawback is no -cooldown but lets be real.... Kass NEEDS the golem buff to keep his mana recharging for rift spam.

1234567 ... 13