Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Are tanks too tanky?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ToastANDeath

11-09-2010

Sure Morde is currently fairly OP, especially in the lane phase (laned as TF against him the other day...oh the humanity).

However, I also was almost solo'd by a Rammus yesterday as a Kennen (which I build fairly tanky with Rylais).

Also, I gave an example of 5 people queuing as tanks and winning 100%. Although I may not have any HARD evidence of it, I still see certain tanks just doing tons of harassment that I don't think they should be able to do in confluence with their tanking abilities. It's really one or the other.

Galgus

11-09-2010

Quote:
Prince Kassad:
No the pace of team fights is so fast that it is boderline hectic. The slower the combat is, the more time players have for strategy and teamwork. Right now, tanks and healers are the only champions keeping team fights from being 2 second long bloodbaths. Hyper offensive characters are a dime a dozen and if tanks were more like them, team fights would literally be: who can spam all of their abilities the fastest?

As a tank its my job to start the fights, and try to ensure my team's victory in how I start it.

Initiating takes judgement calls- its probably the most important thing about playing a tank.

Galgus

11-09-2010

Quote:
ToastANDeath:
Sure Morde is currently fairly OP

Mordekaiser can take a beating and put some hurt on you if you chose to stand and fight him, but he has no CC to ensure that you do.

He is kind of meant to be tough if you just keep fighting him.

Making all tanks only tank sounds like making all carries and mages easy to kill- all squishy with no escapes.

My point is that there are different kinds of tanks, carries, and mages.

(Of course, mages and carries can be synonymous.)

shiz007

11-09-2010

i agree ... tanks should always have to pick between being tanky and doing dmg. Mordekaiser should be squishy (and i mean shaco squishy) if he goes AP.

ichi the killer

11-09-2010

Roles are not mutually exclusive. What you consider a tank might not be a pure tank and only a tank.

What I mean is that Mord is not only a tank, he's also kind of a mage too. So if you complain about him being able to eat dmg and dish out dmg, I'd say he's working as intended. He's tanky magic dmg dealer. Some champion are able to fill 2 roles but they are not the best for those 2 roles. Jack of all trade is a master of none. Alistar would be the master of tanking while Olaf would be tanky Dps. Who's is tankier between Alistar and Olaf? Who deals more dmg? I beleive tank are fine. Champion roles should be updated. Tank's role is often confused with iniatior, disabler and being able to soak dmg.

AFAIK no champion with tanky abilities and tanky stats can dish out as much dmg as Tristana, Twitch, Corki, etc. That's why you have to work as a team. The tank protects his carry while he does dmg.

If tanks are that OP, can someone explain me why no one wants to play tank? Everyone seems to rush for their favorite carry.

Eukaryote

11-09-2010

Quote:
Galgus:
Mordekaiser can take a beating and put some hurt on you if you chose to stand and fight him, but he has no CC to ensure that you do.

He is kind of meant to be tough if you just keep fighting him.

Making all tanks only tank sounds like making all carries and mages easy to kill- all squishy with no escapes.

My point is that there are different kinds of tanks, carries, and mages.

(Of course, mages and carries can be synonymous.)

Of course, if you don't attack him, he'll just eat your towers, or your carry...

Irmo

11-09-2010

Tank that do a lot of damage lack actual crowd control or team saving abilities
Tank that don't do a lot of damage have abilities to generally protect their teammate in certain aspect , such as taunt when the enemy goes for the kills or shielding

Vectoradron

11-09-2010

Quote:
Eukaryote:
Of course, if you don't attack him, he'll just eat your towers, or your carry...

so will Yi, lol and any other champion

edit: just focus mord last, or if he is alone hit from all sides.

Alive in Christ

11-09-2010

Quote:
ToastANDeath:
As a side note, my friend's brother likes to queue with his friends and ALL 5 of them choose tanks/tanky characters, and Fortify. They haven't lost a single game yet, but they're apparently fairly long games.

We've done that twice so far in my friend group. The games actually went quite fast, one ended at 26 (we'd pushed their final turret top and they hadn't gotten one). It really allows you to make your shots count too, when a fight is taking that long. It's actually not that fun, just feels cheap.

But hey, why not reduce the costs on carry items? Especially the "Tank Killer" items? And why not more tank killer items? Also, make it so you can't go negative in terms of armor or MR, that way squishies wont be raped by Armor Pen staking carries (well, at least not quite as bad), and then the tanks will be able to be taken down.

"I think I've got it!"-Luke

JunSupport

11-09-2010

I feel the tanks like Amumu and Galio are just a little too strong.
Amumu's got %-hp drop proximity, and Galio's harass is vicious.

Shen's fine, but Galio and Amumu are like bam-bam-youdie