Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Are tanks too tanky?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Donnylicious

11-09-2010

This was originally posted on another website by Jeff Morgan but I completely agree.
http://www.fearlessgamer.com/

This isn’t exactly a revelation, but it’s something I’ve been seeing a lot in my past few games. I’ve spent a lot of games playing Corki (http://www.fearlessgamer.com/tag/corki) and Tristana recently, and I’ve been horribly frustrated by how well a tank can scale.
It actually seems to be a really complicated problem. At first I wanted to blame it on items – Warden’s Mail/Randuin’s Omen is crazy strong against ranged DPS. If you’ve ever chain-slowed yourself against a fleeing Mordekaiser (http://www.fearlessgamer.com/tag/mordekaiser) you know what I’m talking about. But it’s more than just the fact that defensive gear (Randuin’s) is arguably much stronger against DPS than the DPS anti-tank item (Madred’s).
There’s at least one more issue, though, and that’s the conflicted itemization between carry items and carry runes. Most DPS players run flat armor penetration runes, which are great early and later against casters, but actually kind of terrible against tanks. They reduce the total effectiveness of Last Whisper, which is a big deal. Last Whisper is still a great item, particularly for the cost, but the fact that you lose any effectiveness whatsoever kinda sucks. You also have to consider that most ranged DPS try to get an Infinity Edge as early as possible. It’s a huge DPS bump, but many of the popular tanks in the game are so good at farming that they’ll have close to 4000 gold by the time you get IE, which means they’ll probably cut your damage in half with items.
The other thing that bothers me is that tanks also have incredible control on top of their high damage and survivability. Taunts, snares, stuns, slows, often a combination of these things, plus very respectable damage output with a Sunfire Cape or two.
I actually miss Alistar (http://www.fearlessgamer.com/tag/alistar) these days. Yes, in his heyday he was obnoxious to play against, but it was because of his control and pretty much nothing else. Alistar can take a beating and a half, but you rarely had to worry that he was going to kill you right out. I always thought it was kind of cool that he could pop his ult and rush a turret to push, even if he wasn’t going to bring down your carry. It made him seem nuanced and interesting – a playstyle that was tough to master. The best tanks in the game now are great farmers, great gankers, excellent pushers, and huge damage threats. That’s not really all that interesting, and it’s certainly not very fun.

Xj6

11-09-2010

Tanks shouldn't be allowed to do over half the damage of dps or mages. Period. They are meant to take the hits and CC the other team, not to kill.

Flurry

11-09-2010

i find their tankyness ok, their dmg on the otherhand is too much. MR and ARMOR needs to stack that well because tanks need to tank normal and magical dps, but its just not ok that they often have quite a lot of dmg like malph. Tanks should just engage, cripple or disable but being able to kill the enemy dps char in a few secs is too hard.

Krensher

11-09-2010

there's a problem with tanks not being able to do damage... if they don't do damage they don't farm... no farm equals no items... now they could make it so that tanks don't need as many items to be a tank... but then that takes out a large part of the game... not sure but i believe this is why we are seeing tanks like mord and galio... and yes i also think they are too "tanky"... though i would like to see the game go back to being only 15-30 mins long...

Ean Hort

11-09-2010

its not trhe champions, but the damage reduce scaling of armor and MR

noodle0117

11-09-2010

I wonder why HoN/Dota never had the unkillable tank problem...

Farmed carry could rip through farmed squishy and tank alike, despite a lack of % based items (no madreds or deathfires in the game).

RECTAL INSANiTY

Recruiter

11-09-2010

Are mexicans too mexican?

Prince Kassad

11-09-2010

No the pace of team fights is so fast that it is boderline hectic. The slower the combat is, the more time players have for strategy and teamwork. Right now, tanks and healers are the only champions keeping team fights from being 2 second long bloodbaths. Hyper offensive characters are a dime a dozen and if tanks were more like them, team fights would literally be: who can spam all of their abilities the fastest?

Prince Kassad

11-09-2010

Quote:
Spankandshank:
Are mexicans too mexican?

<Gasp> you can never be too mexican, most people in the world aren't mexican enough...

Micro102

11-09-2010

Quote:
Krensher:
there's a problem with tanks not being able to do damage... if they don't do damage they don't farm... no farm equals no items... now they could make it so that tanks don't need as many items to be a tank... but then that takes out a large part of the game... not sure but i believe this is why we are seeing tanks like mord and galio... and yes i also think they are too "tanky"... though i would like to see the game go back to being only 15-30 mins long...

Your coming up with and complaining about a solution to a problem in which there are multiple solutions too. I believe it's called a strawman.

Tanks need less damage. I suggested it before and I'll suggest it again, make tank items reduce stats as well as increase them.