(FACTIONS) Update 4: Udyr

12345 ... 6
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

CupcakeTrap

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-13-2013

This is the first interactive story/gameplay update for the Factions system.
Two things have happened: (1) Freljord has been added as the fifth Faction (2) Udyr's lore is being changed to give him strong loyalties to the Freljord.
Thus, there's now a genuine in-universe question as to whether Udyr would continue fighting for Ionia in the Mirrorwater dispute.
Udyr has come before the Council. What will you say to him? Vote below.

Site: www.leaguefactions.net
Sign-up here: Factions Sign-Up Thread
April 13–14: Featured Matches with Reds, Diamond-tier players, and shoutcasters including Paddo and ATeaTree. Schedule posted at the link.

Factions is a community-powered game mode in which Summoners declare allegiance to a particular faction (e.g. Noxus or Demacia) for the course of a story arc, and fight matches against other factions using faction-specific champion rosters. We have over 2500 Summoners signed up, and over 350 matches have been fought to date.

The current story arc is called Mirrorwater. In this arc, five factions — Demacia, the Freljord, Ionia, Noxus, and Piltover — are staking claim to the “mirrorwater”, a newly-discovered and possibly extra-dimensional substance infused with incredible magical energies. The arc will conclude on May 1.

If you want to participate in Factions yourself, please check out this sign-up thread, which contains some more basic information on Factions as well as the Faction Declaration Form (submit that GDocs form to sign up). Signing up does not obligate you to play any particular matches; rather, it simply allows you to drop in on the “Factions” in-game chat anytime and join or start games. Screenshots are submitted to me for scoring.

Other Factions Lore
Backstory: Mirrorwater
Update 1: Piltover Rallies
Update 2: Noxian Reinforcements
Update 3: The Freljord Resolution

Next Update — Update 5: The True Noxus

This update was written rather quickly; I heard about the Udyr situation last night. Please excuse the fact that it’s a 10-minute writeup and not top-notch quality.

Pretty GDocs version of this story here: Udyr

~ ~ ~

Update 4: Udyr
by CupcakeTrap

Karma held the parchment slip in her hand.

I WILL SHALL COME TO CALL ON MAJESTY SOON GRATEFULLY

The Ionian script was stiff, rough, but obviously written with respectful effort. The grammar and vocabulary were each somewhat off the mark, which was unsurprising given that Udyr had reached for the highest registers of state etiquette. She doubted he’d had much opportunity to practice using such specialized language at the monastery. She laughed a little seeing herself referred to with the word invented to speak of Demacian royalty.

She was in her simple Champion chambers, where she preferred to dwell during a special adjudication such as Mirrorwater, when all her energies had to be focused on fighting for Ionia on the Fields of Justice.

She frowned to herself. Ionia needed Udyr’s help. And there was an argument — just an argument — that he had to remain with Ionia. However much he respected her, she knew she would not get him to stay by issuing an order.

BOOM. BOOM.

Karma rang a hanging bell, as though to purify and calm the room after the percussive disruption of a fist smashing on the door.

She turned her palms upward and felt a familiar ethereal connection. She laced her fingers through the invisible strands of energy and tugged just-so. The door opened and the ties dissolved.

Udyr bowed and entered.

A push of Karma’s hand shut the door behind him.

Udyr approached and kneeled in front of Karma’s low table. He locked eyes with an icy directness quite distinctively Freljordian.

“The Freljord calls, and I am its sworn protector.”

Karma did not answer immediately. She let the silent conversation between their eyes play out first.

“Ionia stands with the Freljord,” she answered.

Udyr nodded. “Yes.” He added nothing.

Karma did not smile. “In normal times, such a question would never arise. Last week, I saw Darius and Prince Jarvan fighting side by side on behalf of Bandle City merchants seeking to increase muffin taxes by fifteen percent vis-à-vis Piltover.”

“This is not about muffins.”

Karma shook her head. “It is not. But,” and now she played a dangerous card, “it goes to show that allegiances in the League shift and change from day to day, and season to season.”

“This is a special adjudication of great importance.”

Karma inclined her head. “And in the last one, you fought for Ionia.”

“I fought against Noxus.”

“And Ionia still stands against Noxus.”

“It does.”

Karma held the silence a few moments. “You may re-declare allegiance if you wish, with the entry of the Freljord into this dispute. The laws are quite clear on that. And you will always be welcome in Ionia.”

Udyr answered with a low, respectful nod.

Karma slid the parchment she had been reading to the side of the table. “I believe I have given you something to think about. If you are to make your decision, you should speak with the Summoners of all the nations and hear the Council’s voice.”

“I will go before them.”

Summoners: Udyr will now hear your arguments.

Summoners: vote here.

I'm not going to just tell you what the Summoners said to Udyr. I'm asking you, the Summoners, what you're going to tell Udyr.

~ ~ ~

Given the level of community investment in this issue, I felt it was a prime candidate to try out some interactive loremaking. In Factions, I strive to make people feel involved in the story. The most obvious example is that their play determines who will win the mirrorwater at the end of the arc. But this is an example of another way to make Summoners part of the story rather than mere readers.

CupcakeTrap

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-13-2013

Having heard the arguments of the Council's Summoners, Udyr announced his decision.

"I stand by Ionia."

The Council's adjudicator nodded to the scribe, who took this down. She turned to the gallery.

"Udyr will continue to represent Ionia for the remainder of the Mirrorwater dispute."

CupcakeTrap

04-13-2013

I'll share some of the responses I've received so far.

Some are focusing on story, while others are focusing on how either decision could affect gameplay in Factions matches. I think these are both totally valid reasons for voting.

Quote:
I feel like Frej has much more commonly accepted ""powerful"" junglers, especially once the Sej and Trundle updates go live.

Ionia has a few ""good"" ones, read Lee and Shen, but I feel they need more diversity in their champ lineup
Quote:
Freijlord's bruiser lineup seems lackluster, while Ionia can do pretty much anything.
Quote:
Freljord has enough tanky champions with Sejuani, Trundle, and Volibear so they don't really need Udyr. Ionia on the other hand would be left with Shen or forcing Irelia, Wukong, or Lee Sin to build tankier which would hinder their damage potential. In the name of balance, I counsel Udyr to stay with Ionia.
Quote:
He represents the 5 martial arts styles, Ionia represents Asia, I mean come on.
Quote:
I feel like Ionia is where be belongs, simply. Frejlord is a place where politics are a huge factor, whereas Ionia is more suited for him.
Quote:
I never thought Udyr was particularly Ionian, so it makes sense for him to go the the Freljord.

Trashcam

04-13-2013

Ionia

TSM EL DARIO

04-13-2013

Ionia!

DotEleven

04-13-2013

Udyr is Ionian and I really hope this new lore doesn't go through because here's the thing. It never even mentions Ionia. We assume because of the word Monastery, Udyr, and Lee Sin, that it's in Ionia, but just read it.

Quote:
Udyr is more than a man; he is a vessel for the untamed power of four primal animal spirits.When tapping into the spirits' bestial natures, Udyr can harness their unique strengths: the tiger grants him speed and ferocity, the turtle resilience, the bear might,and the phoenix its eternal flame.With their combined power, Udyr can turn back all those who would attempt to harm the natural order.

In the Freljord,there is a unique caste that lives outside the society of those savage lands. They are the custodians of the natural world: the Spirit Walkers. Once in a generation,a child is born under a blood red moon, a child that is said to live between two worlds: that of spirit and that of man.This child is brought to the Spirit Walker to continue the shamanic line. Udyr was such a child, and knew the howl of the tundra wolves even before he learned the language of his ancestors. Through the Spirit Walker,Udyr would one day learn the meaning of the spirits' calls and tend to the balance of nature.The Spirit Walker often told Udyr he would be tested more than those who had come before him, for the spirits of the Freljord were growing ever more restless, though the reason remained clouded.

The answer arrived in the dead of winter, as Udyr and the Spirit Walker were descended upon by a fearsome figure known only through frightened whispers: the Ice Witch. Knowing the boy would fall easy prey to her vile magic,the Spirit Walker shielded the child from her assault at the cost of his own life. A pointless sacrifice, or so the Ice Witch thought as she closed upon her next helpless victim.Wracked by grief, Udyr howled with fury,and he felt the Freljord itself howl with him. In that moment, the child embraced the spirits' primal nature and became a beast himself. Coursing with their untamed power Udyr's angry roar shook the mountaintops and brought down a torrential avalanche. When Udyr finally clawed out of the frost, the Ice Witch was nowhere to be found.

For years, the tribes of the north learned to avoid the wildman and his domain.Then one day, Udyr caught the scent of a fearless trespasser.Determined to chase the intruder from his territory, he attacked the stranger only to be deflected with ease. The wildman launched himself at the man again and again, but each time he was effortlessly cast aside. Exhausted and defeated, Udyr felt his animosity ebb and croaked a clumsy ''who'' to the stranger. Lee Sin had come seeking the Spirit Walker�s guidance and instead found a man who had also lost his way.The blind monk promised he would right Udyr's path and guided him to a monastery,said to be protected by four eternal spirits of great power and wisdom. There, Udyr would find harmony.

Harnessing the discipline of the monks, Udyr communed with the spirits of the monastery's temple and learned to truly embrace his life as the next Spirit Walker. He also understood the true threat that the Ice Witch posed to the Freljord for the first time: she was the herald of a greater darkness that would soon envelop the land. Armed with the potent spirits of the temple, Uydr returned to the place of his birth,seeking to end the blight of the Ice Witch and free the Freljord from her corruption.
There is not a single mention of Ionia. Hell, he might've just brought him to a different temple in Freljord.

Amélie Poulain

04-13-2013

freljord

gfd4e4

04-13-2013

Udyr is Ionian, and Kitae should be ashamed for approving this horrible lore change.

Officer Big Dot

04-13-2013

Ionia has enough champions as it is -- especially since Syndra deserves to be there (if Zed does, at the very least). This will allow Ionia to stay at their champion count and Freljord to gain another champion to bolster their comparably small champion pool.

mi ramfan

04-13-2013

Dear Udyr,

I am a Freljordian summoner. I know your name; you can call me ramfan.

Currently you are considering fighting for Freljord instead of Ionia. As hard as you are to discourage (I know from experience), I must dissuade you from joining us. You see, you don't seem like the kind of man who enjoys sitting on the sidelines; you are a man of action. Yet in Freljord I'm afraid you won't see much action. You see, the two things you are best at on the Summoner's Rift-fighting other tough men and women in single combat in the top lane and killing monsters roaming the jungle- are already accomplished more effectively by other members of our faction. Volibear and Trundle accomplish what you could in top lane just as well with more utility for late game, and we can't afford to give up Sejuani's ultimate in the jungle.

You may join us if you want. I certainly won't stop you. But you may not get as much action as you expect.

Signed,
mi "worst ashe na" ramfan

12345 ... 6