[Guide] Udyr: The Stance Dancer

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Khathar

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-16-2010

Nice guide!

I started playing LoL a few days ago, and the character I feel most at home with is Udyr. I think he's great, though he has a bit of trouble surviving occasionally against other champs. He is indeed a more challenging character for what i understand (even though I figured out just how to play with him at the first time I picked the fella'), but not all players does things the same way I do, and they can have their own opinion. I still Massacre them no matter what they say. ^^,

I pick up Malady as first item for the lifeleech and attack speed with a Sheen and Phage afterwards (followed up by making a Trinity). I start out with Phoenix skill, followed by Bear, Turtle, Phoenix, Bear etc. etc. A little different build but i think it works well for farming as well as killing champs early and mid, although it may not be optimal.

I'm gonna try out your way (when the server is up again) and see how that works out. Great work man!

EDIT: Lol, server went online just as i posted this message.

EDIT2: I've played a'couple of games with your skillbuild (or at least somewhat similiar), and it works out great. Starting out with a doran's shield, then making a Malady, sheen, Phage, Zeal and ultimately Trinity. Most of the times the game ends in my favour just before or after i get the Trinity. With that said, it works. :3

tabasko

01-17-2010

I followed your build and i won 5 out of 6 games, only because the enemy team udyr got fed while following the same build..

I think udyr is a bit OP.

kkhugs

01-18-2010

Having played around 40 games with Udyr and getting about a 2:1 win lose ratio, this is my take on him.

Udyr is not inherently OP. However, if the summoner knows what they are doing, Udyr can very quickly outlevel everyone else and proceed to jungle gank to his heart's content. That is his one strength - leveling. All you have to do is go solo mid, farm the creeps until you're around level 5 or so leveling phoenix and turtle (ignore the mid lane enemy unless you have a gank opportunity, which will happen only rarely because you don't have bear and they can just run back to their tower), then go buy, teleport back, and at this point you can just push creeps back to enemy tower, then go kill ONE nearby jungle spot (at level 5 you can easily take on anything in the jungle besides Baron), then return to mid lane and push the creeps back to enemy tower again. This maximizes your experience gain, as you don't really lose out on that many creep kills while jungling one spot. This method gets you loads of gold as well, so the item-dependent Udyr, if not shut down by the enemy team, can quickly become a deadly force. Speaking of items, Udyr's biggest weak spot is that he is helpless if he is CC'd. If your opposing team has decent CC, and it usually will, I would recommend Mercury's boots as a very early item. Personally I get them 2nd, as they are not too expensive and the movement speed is a great way to lessen travel time and thus maximize killing (and therefore XP and gold gain) time, and the 40% CC reduction can really save you.

With this method I can easily start lane-ganking by myself around 14-15, while everyone else is still 9-10 with maybe 2 good items in their inventory. The key here is spending as much of your time as possible killing things and getting experience and gold. At level 5 you can't really take on a tower while an enemy hero is around, so why waste that time waiting for more creeps to come your way when you could be farming a jungle spot?

Also with the strat to become OP is the strat to stop an enemy Udyr from becoming OP and cleaning you out. This is simple, and the same as countering any powerful carry: Shut them down early game! If you have to pull 1 person from each of the 2-man lanes to kill him, it is still worth it. Just make sure that they are heroes with a stun, or Udyr can simply turtle back to a tower. Catch him as he is at the end of pushing creeps to the tower, and you can easily kill him with 2-3 people before he gets back to his own tower. You will probably have to repeat this several times, especially if the Udyr is smart enough to have gotten teleport so he can get back to his own lane as fast as possible and get more XP. The point is to have him spending enough time dead or running back to his lane that he loses all opportunity to outlevel you. After doing this a few times, your own mid lane should be several levels above Udyr and should be able to harass him enough on their own to stop him from getting out of hand.

That's my two bits. Have fun playing, or stomping, Udyr.

Araxes

03-09-2010

I've been playing Udyr for about a week now. 26 wins, 5 losses. My normal K/D is around 15/2. I've never had any problems with survivability, and can easily 1v3 most champs. The trick is to go attack speed runes, and stack fun items like Bloodthirster and Guinsoo's. I start out maxing Bear/Turtle, then go 5 tiger. Pheonix is an afterthought for me. I've gone 1v1 with other Udyrs that follow a build that looks similar to this one and killed them with way more than half hp. Boots of Swiftness ensure that even if they pop ghost, you can still keep up with them while bear charging, and people SEVERELY underestimate Tiger Stance. 2.5x your attack damage over 2 seconds? Thats around 600 damage with a charged Bloodthirster. Im giving away my secrets here. Your impossible to harass at low levels with turtle stance, and can easily gank if you have a good teammate. All these people QQ'ing about needing a buff are sorely mistaken. Just try stacking Damage instead of speed, and tiger/bear/turtle dance. Phoenix is where you guys are messing up.

tehimage

03-13-2010

I completely disagree with Udyr being broke. If you are looking for an easy hero to play, then do not pick Udyr. His one second stun, if your stacking attack speed, allows you to hit him with the aoe phoenix as well as giving you a jump on the enemy. I believe bear stance purely for set up. I also do not have a problem chasing down other champions, because phage + ghost = win. Udyr is all about changing stances at the right time. If you have the mana, which I almost always never run out, you can stack your shield, stun, then aoe phoenix while doing good damage every third hit.

It is true that Udyr is very gear dependent, and I find this guide's list of items to be a good one. First game I played with this guide I went 11-1-5 against a premade of level 20s and up. Udyr success in my opinion relies solely on your ability to play. If you don't like his play style, then don't choose him.

blackmartin

03-13-2010

I havent been able to practice as much as I would like with Udyr lately, but as soon as the new patch comes out I will update this guide shortly after testing a few different builds and playstyles. Thanks everyone for all the feedback and I hope this guide is still helping out some of the newer players.

In progress:
Testing Tiger Form viability.
Testing AD over AS.
Testing new item builds using Frozen Mallet over Triforce.

Gink

03-13-2010

I started playing Udyr a few days ago. Love him. I've been in games where he has just destroyed my team. I've played him, destroying their team but I don't fell like it's consistant.

My biggest problem is running out of mana early game. I typically go for the gollum buff early, but I typically play with buff *****s or jungling war wicks who think that all the buffs should be theirs the entire game. Any tips for mana regen or conserving mana early game?

TrojanHorse

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-13-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gink View Post
I started playing Udyr a few days ago. Love him. I've been in games where he has just destroyed my team. I've played him, destroying their team but I don't fell like it's consistant.

My biggest problem is running out of mana early game. I typically go for the gollum buff early, but I typically play with buff *****s or jungling war wicks who think that all the buffs should be theirs the entire game. Any tips for mana regen or conserving mana early game?
I've actually taken to getting Catalyst -> Banshee as my first item since I was feeling like if I didn't get golem buff, I was completely useless with no mana. That puts Udyr more in a tank role until you can get more dps items, but it really works well for me.

blackmartin

03-15-2010

If your running out of mana very quickly (this is usually an early-mid game problem) in your lane, dont be afraid to lighten up on turtle shield activation. While it may seem enemy harassing will hurt, if you picked up vamp scepter as your first item you will regain your hp very quickly by just sticking on creeps. Just make sure you can remember if the people in your lane had flash and have some basic idea of the cooldown time on enemy harassing abilities. That way you can save your mana for when you need to flee / gank instead of trying to initiate at half mana because you were spamming turtle.

This technique has gotten me some nice kills with a good partner, because people see any udyr with 50-60% hp and get aggresive assuming hes an easy kill. A lot of time I will pop into bear, hit both enemys before switching to pheonix and then exhaust either the melee based char or the char we are focusing for a kill. Works as a decent bait

blackmartin

03-15-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Araxes View Post
I've been playing Udyr for about a week now. 26 wins, 5 losses. My normal K/D is around 15/2. I've never had any problems with survivability, and can easily 1v3 most champs. The trick is to go attack speed runes, and stack fun items like Bloodthirster and Guinsoo's. I start out maxing Bear/Turtle, then go 5 tiger. Pheonix is an afterthought for me. I've gone 1v1 with other Udyrs that follow a build that looks similar to this one and killed them with way more than half hp. Boots of Swiftness ensure that even if they pop ghost, you can still keep up with them while bear charging, and people SEVERELY underestimate Tiger Stance. 2.5x your attack damage over 2 seconds? Thats around 600 damage with a charged Bloodthirster. Im giving away my secrets here. Your impossible to harass at low levels with turtle stance, and can easily gank if you have a good teammate. All these people QQ'ing about needing a buff are sorely mistaken. Just try stacking Damage instead of speed, and tiger/bear/turtle dance. Phoenix is where you guys are messing up.

It certainly is viable to use AD items, however that will only perform well in low ELO games and when your playing against players who arent even lvl 20 yet. Any decent team will just stack a little defense and cripple your damage output.

Also Thornmail or Warden's will completely screw u over with AD tiger build