[Guide] Udyr: The Stance Dancer

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

blackmartin

12-07-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuJu View Post
I don't agree on the Warmog/Guardian angel though.

IMO Soul shroud might be better although I am debating these items for him

Rod of Ages Rylai's Septer, Sunfire cape.

I really like using the Sunfire cape, might actually be a good idea to put in 2 of those instead of using the Warmog's. As far as Rod of Ages I think the small boost from AP and the fact that he really doesnt need anymore mana (i never run out anyways) could be better used for something else. I dont think Rylai's would work with any of his abilities would it? I personally like using Guardian Angel because it allows me to be more aggressive without giving the other team feeds if I die, and it gives the needed resistances.

Good ideas though, ill try it out.

Eggs

12-07-2009

I think you guys have the right idea for Udyr but the wrong items...

I agree he is very gear dependant. With that said, I would go for Tiamat immediately paired with Phoenix stance. This makes you a very good lane pusher and you will collect gold quickly. I would suggest the Turtle stance as his other stance for the added life gain and mana regen (and because Udyr is squishy).

The game I played in didn't last long but I finished 1-0-5 (victory). The key to remember in large battles is to swap to bear and tap each enemy hero stunning them so your team can pick them off.

Fighting one-on-one, I would continue to swap between stances. So far Phoenix and Turtle have been the most useful for me and then bear him when he starts running.

For high damage output(especially with Tiamat), I would use Phoenix the majority of the time.

For one on one battles switch between Phoenix, Turtle, and Bear.
For towering swap to Tiger mode.

I have only played a couple games with him so far, but I find him far from broken. Most people just aren't skilled enough to think and want to mash buttons to do damage. Udyr is about controlling your stance, playing defensively, and changing stances at the right moments.

Suggested build...

R
W
R
W
R
E
R
Q
R
and from then on whatever you want.

Items I think would be helpful for Udyr...

Frozen Mallet...Health + Slow + Stun from stance (Tiger might be useful here)

Rod of Ages...Purely for health + mana

Trinity Force...bonus damage on changing stances...chance to slow..Health, Mana

Banshee's Veil ... my favorite item overall (health, spell protection, and they target others)

Heart of Gold ... may be a useful second item. Gold gain, health, armor

Soul Shroud .. Health and CD reduction

Aegis of the Legion ... Health + AOE bonuses for team

Tiamat ... explained previously

Deathfire Grasp ... you will be swapping stances...that's the point.

Avarice Blade ... gold + crit chance

Sheen ... increased damage after stance change

Personally, I feel the biggest reason people don't like Udyr is he is not a killer. He is mostly team support, which this game needs more of. The point of you late game is to catch the slow ones...tap them(stun) and let your team finish. Phoenix gives you good AOE damage against groups of enemies. You are neither a tank, nor a mage, so play to help your team.

For Summoner abilities, I recommend Smite especially since he is so gear dependent.

Other abilities he can use...

Ghost - to catch up to running enemies and stun or to run away
Teleport - to get those items and go back to your lane

Goldfish15

12-07-2009

I do agree that he gets better late game, but can never quite match any other hero. Yay a 1 second stun. I reckon he needs something like a third ability to each stance to counter his badness.

essay2

12-08-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoobi View Post
[Guide] Udyr.

Don't play him. That's about the best guide possible.

As much as I love the concept he's completely ****ing terrible at the moment.
^

TZG Prodigy

12-08-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldfish15 View Post
I do agree that he gets better late game, but can never quite match any other hero. Yay a 1 second stun. I reckon he needs something like a third ability to each stance to counter his badness.

His third ability would have to be a nice passive that enhances him in any form he's in.
Maybe, like every 3rd atk he gains a brief shield or gains back 1/10 his max hp.
... He's just a terrible hero right now.

The best way to play him is to pick him out early...
Then switch at the 1 second mark to ANY OTHER HERO.
=)

Whitt

12-08-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebrisDragon View Post
The best way to play him is to pick him out early...
Then switch at the 1 second mark to ANY OTHER HERO.
=)
LOL! Pretty much at this point. This champion needs some rework.

kalris

12-08-2009

How did you spend your mastery points? I am guessing defensive with 9 points into offense would be an ideal choice for him since he is squishy and kind of tank like end game

blackmartin

12-08-2009

Updated with Mastery Talent Points, Spells, and tweaks to the item build.

blackmartin

12-08-2009

Quote:
I agree he is very gear dependant. With that said, I would go for Tiamat immediately paired with Phoenix stance. This makes you a very good lane pusher and you will collect gold quickly. I would suggest the Turtle stance as his other stance for the added life gain and mana regen (and because Udyr is squishy).
Had a chance to test this out, I definately agree with you I did better getting a little more Turtle Stance earlier on for the defensive / laning help but found it was still more useful to leave it at rank 3 until Bear/Pheonix were maxed.

Also tried out Tiamat and it seemed to be rather lack luster for everything except early game as this playstyle doesnt take advantage of +AD that well, getting a sunfire cape mid game instead added similar dps but better survivability.

Eggs

12-08-2009

The point of getting tiamat is to better your early game. One of the biggest complaints of Udyr so far is his early game. If he can get to late game without dying much and getting gold for items, he should be fine.

I typically go bead and fairie charm first with a potion of health. This will improve your regen abilities for both mana and health. Combined with turtle early on, you should be able to keep your health and mana up as you farm with phoenix. This is where smite really helps you early game to get Tiamat earler to feed you extra gold.

I personally would like to try more things...but in 4 games I have tried so far, people quit the second I pick Udyr saying things like fail-dyr.