Malzahar Ult Rework (Warwick too)

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Earl of Madness

04-12-2013

I have been hearing around that there were thoughts on reworking malzahar's ultimate. I was excited because i hate his current ultimate. It is to my disappointment that his ultimate still has not been reworked and its a shame because that critical part of his kit is why i don't play him.

Now to make it very clear i don't hate channeled ultimate concept. There are a lot of ultimates that make sense as channels. Requiem, Death Lotus, Absolute Zero just to name a few. However Malzahar and Warwick suffer very badly with their channeled ultimates. Their ultimates are very strong in 1v1 situations and duels and give them an edge when ganking or in lane however those ultimates in particular become useless in teamfights. Unlike other channels that are either AoE or have more ticks or have ways to be cast without interruption like karthus when he dies.

Malzahar and Warwick need to get very close to the enemy team to use their ultimates and unlike many which are AoE and will still deal damage to multiple targets and not feel like an absolute waste their ultimates have not only the issue of being channels that can be interrupted and they only affect one target with suppression and they need to suppress themselves to perform it rather than AoE where they are dealing damage to multiple targets for their sacrifice of not being able to cast other spells. Their ultimates are also canceled by the QQS item and that is unfun that not only do they have short range and affect only one target and are easily stopped but items can also prevent the purpose of their ultimates.

This is why i don't play malzahar more. I'm a bad player i admit but i main ADC and unlike many of them when i see a malz or WW i get my QSS right after by Bloodthirster, boots and Zeal, i rush that thing fast so i don't have to worry about their ultimates. I exploit their weakness to I just wish it didn't have to be that way because i Love the rest of malzahar's kit and it wasn't for that bad ult i'd use him a lot more because the rest of his kit is so good.

I don't know how to rework those ultimates but i hope they do get reworked so that they aren't totally useless in teamfights.

Zatachi13

04-12-2013

I agree to an extent. Malzahar is, in my opinion, in dire need of at least a buff. His skills are very chain dependent. he has a hard time bursting compared to others because he NEEDS his ulti to hold them in the pool so they take the full damage as any player with a grain of perception will walk right out of the pool with very little damage. His ulti is the closest thing he has to a stun and it is rendered near worthless with a cleanse, a quicksilver sash. Or any item/skill that can remove a status debuff or stun. In my experience with Malzahar he is designed to burst down a single target and farm very effectively. However his burst is so easily removed that really if he isn't fed he feels almost sub par for a burst mage/ ap carry. Either he has a very good team that can help him score kills or distract the enemy champions or he gets destroyed the moment an enemy teammate arrives to back up a lane or the target gets a debuff removing item.
Warwick is slightly less so as his base skills are still surprisingly effective and the burst from his ulti usually means he can just pop out of nowhere and eat a weakened champ. and as a jungle heavy champ that is what he should do. Though I do agree with you for the most part.

elktrkpancake92

04-12-2013

I would not mind a rework for malzahar's ultimate, but i'm not entirely dissatisfied with the way it is now. For one, I agree that he does not have that sheer burst on a single target due to a QSS or cleanse. However, not every person on the other team will build a QSS. And this leaves you the option of focusing possibly the ap carry or catching a straggler out after a good team fight.

With a full combo on a single enemy, he can almost 100-0 someone. If they have a QSS or cleanse, don't ult them. This is the case for so many characters, as well as malzahar http://leagueoflegends.wikia.com/wiki/Quicksilver_Sash

Malzahar can put out huge damage in team fights, but the team comp must fit. He definitely fits into a poke comp. Liandry's is a great item, as teams must pay careful attention to his E or they will be in for some annoyingly good long range poke, as well as key W placement. And blue buff is essential to make his cooldowns relevant for teamfights. A well-placed Q is incredibly important for slight early advantages in team fights. So realistically, I don't believe that he is in dire need of any big changes.

Note: I don't play enough WW to give a valuable opinion on the matter.

Zatachi13

04-12-2013

I agree with elktrkpancake92. Though I would like to see a small or brief slow on champions (or something along those lines) added to one of his skills though (ulti not included). just to make his skills a little easier to manage. That alone would make his burst a bit more reliable in 1v1 situations which as a champion commonly chosen as an ap mid he sees a lot of.

Snewdy

04-12-2013

You can't use cleanse on Malz's ult, just QSS. Olaf can use his own cleanse move though. I think Garen can get out of it with his Q also.

His ult is pretty central to his play, without it he just throws out bits of AoE damage or his E from time to time. What he could really use is an execute move which just does a big punch of damage right away, replace his W with this and he'd be golden...all the way up to pro level really.

Or rework his W to be more like Lux's where he can reactivate it to do sudden damage, it'd still be fine with instant cast since it has a short range, long CD, and high mana cost.

ZachTheApathetic

04-12-2013

Just a thought.

What if instead of malzahar ulting his target himself the ult came from one of his minions? So not only does malzahar actually have to think about his minion during fighting but then malz isn't "self-stunned" so to speak, and is free to move.

Thubgar

04-12-2013

meh, it makes him really strong against assassins and his kit is otherwise very strong.

it might be interesting if it did a little aoe around the stunned target.

CerealBoxOfDoom

04-12-2013

completely disabling a single target is useless in a teamfight?

Procsimity

04-12-2013

I play malzahar more than any other champ. He does a stupid amount of damage end game just from null zone and liandrys. Not to mention a dot that hits like a mack truck and can easily be applied by chaining up creeps or transferring after a kill. His silence from his q and the damage it does is also notable making him a well rounded character. His q also continues to do damage even if someone qss's, cleanses, or ults, out of it. If you are having a problem with qss at least you forced their team to buy one. Also if you were to buff his ult so that he didn't need to channel you would never cease to apply damage. I think he is well rounded and fine albeit not over powered atm.

StormEagle5000

04-12-2013

I played him in a few arams which is all team fights and kicked ass. He is a good teamfighter just have to know where to place your spells, especially his Q. And only ult safely