Summoner Abilities + Arranged Teams are breaking game

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TheTrentonian

12-07-2009

I know this has been brought up elsewhere, but I wanted to start a thread to discuss this as a more abstract problem. LOL is quickly starting to be over-run by arranged teams using the same summoner ability. This is most commonly observed in teams combining 5 promotes with certain character combinations, but the same principle can be applied to other abilities as well.

My issue is neither with the fact that people can do this(as it doesn't technically break the rules), nor whether or not it can be countered, because obviously that is possible as well. My issue is that this immediately and irrevocably breaks the matchmaking system because it gives arranged teams a massive advantage over non-arranged teams. As a non-arranged team player this game is becoming pointless, as getting placed against an arranged team almost guarantees a very boring loss which you are forced to sit through to avoid leaving.

I know this seems like a fine point as compared to overall game mechanics, but RIOT should really give this issue the priority it deserves because it is going to allow "hardcore" players to make the game unenjoyable, and in some ways unplayable for the masses. For all the people who come on to play the most balanced, intense game possible, and really don't care about winning or losing this is truly a deal breaker. It "promotes" winning by exploiting a flaw, rather than winning through skill edging out comparable skill.

765Immortal

12-07-2009

Unfortunately, the actual problem is the lack of modes. During closed beta, the "Nashor Cup" was run in a sort of Banning Draft mode with certain rules. First, no more than 2 of certain Summoner Spells (Heal, Teleport, Promote, Rally, Clairvoyance -- I think that was most of them) per team. The Banning Draft allowed mirroring champions, but bans were against both teams. Both teams would be in a practice game lobby to announce their picks and bans, so as to be able to counter team compositions. However, Summoner Spells were not announced (something I think should be revealed).

If more modes like this were implemented, than these problems would be less significant and more substantial issues can come to light.

Deadpool

12-07-2009

I agree, the main issue is the lack of different modes to play. I realize that RIOT has a lot of different plans and things they want to do (new champions, skins, maps, modes, bug fixes, balance issues, ect.) When they get around to making the new modes we will be able to create teams designed to counter the opponent. but if a draft is to be implemented there will need to be more of a set up time for picking champions, redoing the masteries and picking the correct rune page.