Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

New ARAM Feature: Rerolls

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Brackhar

Features Designer

04-11-2013

Hey gang,

A few weeks ago, I let you know we were working on a matchmaking queue for Howling Abyss, but it wasn’t quite ready for testing. Well, with today’s PBE patch that’s changed! Once PBE comes back up you can try out our new queue and help us test out a new ARAM feature we’ve added especially for this queue: rerolls.

While the random element is a really fun part of Howling Abyss, we also understand there are times you simply don’t want to play a particular champion. That’s why we created the reroll feature specifically for this queue. When you’re really not in the mood to play your particular champion on Murder Bridge, you can reroll and get a different random character instead.

Here’s how it works. As you play matchmade games on Howling Abyss, win or lose, you’ll earn points you can save up to purchase a reroll in champion select. You’ll earn a base number of points every match, along with some bonus points based on the number of champions you own. While there is a cap on the number of points you can store up, you’ll be able to reroll multiple times in a single champion select if you’ve got the points.

And don’t worry about wasting your hard-earned points on queue dodgers. If someone leaves your match at champion select, everyone in the game gets a refund except the player who dodged.

This is the first time we’ve added a queue-specific feature like this to champion select, so be sure to give us your feedback. We look forward to reading your comments!

KamaitachiTrey

Huntsman

04-11-2013

Aha! I knew this would be what it was!

I'm reserving this slot for my usual wall-of-text later when I can get in and test it. Thanks very much Brackar!

If we reroll, is the champion we just had still in the list of what we could gain again?
(Answered by a red later on) So we cannot get the champion we reroll away from - that sounds nice.

(I had 4 or so questions here, but I'm noticing Brackar's post is adding information as time goes by that answers all my questions! So I remove each one that is answered!)

Zerglinator

04-11-2013

Yay!

But where's Riot Natural20?

Torenia

04-11-2013

I like this concept, but I am curious as I haven't been able to try the mode yet. Are free week champs eligible for the random mode? I think they should be disregarded as many losses I had were with people who had free week and didn't know how to play them (I couldn't trade with them as they didn't own whatever champ I had half the time lol)

Ruinating End

04-11-2013

Yay, now I won't have to dodge if I get Teemo.

KamaitachiTrey

Huntsman

04-11-2013

Quote:
Torenia:
I like this concept, but I am curious as I haven't been able to try the mode yet. Are free week champs eligible for the random mode? I think they should be disregarded as many losses I had were with people who had free week and didn't know how to play them (I couldn't trade with them as they didn't own whatever champ I had half the time lol)

From what I understood from Rioter posts in the past, it sounds like free week champions were included.

I don't think it'd be efficient to turn off free week champions for only one mode, and besides - it allows it to be much more random this way. Someone can't just unlock 8 (random number) of their favorite champions and always do well.

If they have free-week champions as well, this means there's a chance they may not get only their "best" champs, causing it to be more of an actual random, rather than just random between your best.

If someone does happen to get a champion they've never played before (because of free week champions) you still have the Reroll option, and if worse comes to worse, you can always ask allies to trade, or for tips on the champion. I don't think it's that big of a deal.

Fomorian27

Recruiter

04-11-2013

very nice, very awesome. I like to think of myself as too manly to ever use this, but I'm sure I'll give in when I get a boring champ and I just wanna play someone cool.

DreamsOfGrandeur

04-11-2013

Any chance you could make allow the spending IP to reroll or buy reroll points with IP?
Like 10 IP = 1 reroll point

Then players who own everything would have something to pour all that extra IP into.

Cuix

04-11-2013

Woah, really cool idea. Can't wait to see it in action~

HayabusaZero

04-11-2013

Wait, wait, wait... AD Karthus? 13/1/6? New FOTM incoming?

Joke aside, this is a great feature for ARAM queue. One of the reasons people dodge it is because they don't want to play certain champions (most likely the free week ones) and don't have other choice. The other reason is also cover, i see (which is to dodge after seen the enemy team composition).

Thanks for your hard work, Riot. Can't wait for this to be on live!