Skin RP price changes

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

inbredpsychosis

04-11-2013

ITT: People don't understand cost to profit ratios.

Hippalus said it himself that they've been releasing very high quality (and thus very expensive) skins at a loss for the last year. Was it really any surprise? You ALL knew a skin like Arcade Sona was worth way more than 975. It was a steal, but we scampered onto the field with it and never looked back. Now when they are realizing "hey we are losing money here!" and make a reasonable decision, you all cry foul and "greedy company is greedy". It's not about greed you imbeciles, it's about running a business, something you'd all know nothing about.

"Oh, but you would inbredpsychosis?" No, I don't know much about it either, I'm just putting my big boy shorts on and looking at this from a reasonable perspective. You think I like the price increase? Of course not, but do I understand it? Yes. Understanding it is half the battle and when you do, you can stop crying. I mean the man is giving you 14 days to rob him blind as it is.

If this all wasn't enough for you, let's do some basic math here. 79 skins are being reduced in price, while only 18 are being increased. Bad first okay, the net increase of RP is 6,750. Pretty bad, right? Let's look at what we are saving with the decreases. If my calculations are correct AND THEY COULD VERY WELL NOT BE, but it's looking like the net decrease in RP is 26,790. That's nearly 4 times as much.

So yeah, I think you guys are overreacting BUT WHEN HAVE YOU GUYS EVER, OVERREACTED?

Vertchewal

04-11-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhyreMynd View Post
I have Somewhere upwards of 75 or 80 skins. I would say I feel a little ripped off, but really I just want the first skin I ever got to get upgraded.... ('Magnificent Twisted Fate'). I thought I read last year that they would refund half of the RP for that skin to people that own it, but that never happened. It's the biggest disappointment ever, and 3 years later, I'm still sitting on this wasted 1820 RP. Too bad we didn't have skin highlights back then. :S
The price changes have wasted about 6k RP for me as well.

Avalon Bright

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-11-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippalus View Post
An issue we're trying to fix is that players who buy Surprise Party Fiddlesticks and other premium skins are often disappointed now when they buy other 975 skins. By aligning the price to the production quality, we give players much more consistent value.

The opportunity to buy Surprise Party Fids (and other 1350s) at 975 was an extra value to players and will continue to be so for the next two weeks. We will continue to do things like that to reward players who were active at the time a premium skin is released.
Are you really this oblivious or just that trained in "Marketing 101 Bull****" and seriously expect anyone with half a brain to believe you? Here, I'll translate for everyone else.

"People really love Surprise Party Fiddlesticks and think it's much higher quality than most other 975 RP skins. But instead of just lowering the costs of previous skins to make way for the new standard, we're instead going to backtrack over what we already said while also raising the cost permanently. I'll then use my fancy marketing degree to sugarcoat all of this to make people think this is actually increasing the value they're getting, when we're really just bending them over the counter!"

LittleDi

04-11-2013

Increasing prices is a bad move...

Distain

04-11-2013

If you are going to increase the price, which i don't think is okay, you should put a sale on for the skins that are going up in price. At their CURENT price BEFORE they go up in price so that we can get them before being punished for not purchasing them at launch.

Mistiya

04-11-2013

If you want 1350 as a price point going forward that's one thing, but retro-raising the price on several of the skins that I think you can plainly see WE don't think are 1350 quality (no recall animations, mostly just particle effects and several of them are brand NEW! iBlitz? WK J4 and Zin? Really?)

Also jacking the price on Fiddles when it was an anniversary present to the fans is REALLY low. That specifically should not happen.

Blackthorn Morgana and "Fire Cliche'" Zyra are NOT benchmarks for the 1350 tier and I really hope that isn't the level of quality you expect people to pay that much money for.

I am one of the people that only buys skins on sale, but I do like to support Riot. This does not make me want to support Riot. It feels skeezy.

Recolors dropping in price is good, but this is overall a very worrisome thing because I would not buy Soul Reaver Draven at 1350. Mecha-Khaz I would. So please be careful and think about the level of quality you are suggesting a 1350 should have.

MeanFacedJohnny

04-11-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeastBox View Post
Mecha Kha'zix was a 1820 skin on permanent sale. Problem?

For the record, nobody .... NOBODY .... complained about DTL more than me. Just saying.

DTL is ****; I made the comment several times that Arcade Sona, Blackthorn Morgana and Full Metal Rammus were better skins. They deserve to be in the same price tier. I would prefer that they all be 975 obviously, but this is still good bookkeeping.

When a consumer buys a product, only one thing matters: is this worth the asking price? If the answer is yes, you buy it, if the answer is no, you don't. Skin quality has gone up tremendously over the years; the price increasing is perfectly reasonable to me. Buy it or don't. Riot will price based on what we're willing to spend, and that's on us, not them.
I used refunds to get DTL. Was not going to pay that much for a dragon that makes annoying slop sounds when you walk.

YuI Brenner

04-11-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by aluckydewdrop View Post
Do you honestly think anything he says is going to justify this to you and everyone else with multiple censor bars per post?

No. It won't. He's replying to people who don't seem mad because they're the ones who'll actually listen to the reasons behind this. Everyone else is going to be opposed to this regardless of what he says.
You mean like stexe's post on the very first page with a calm and rational objection to the price increase?

AIQ

04-11-2013

So Shyvanas new skin "Ice Drake Shyvana" looks like a mere cover up, will that be priced lower since it doesn't seem like much work went into it then lets say "Astronautilus"? Of course I could be wrong it it could be the hardest skin I don't work for Riot, so I ask hows that work?

Skepsys

04-11-2013

So what I'm getting out of this is... I wasted a **** ton of money on skins. I have so many skins that are going to be reduced by hundreds of RP. Sweet really glad I wasted money.