New gaming headset...

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Findoglorian

04-08-2013

So I had a Gamecom 780, and the plastic piece of the headband broke right above the earpiece. They are still under waranty and I have all of my original packaging/reciepts, so I should be able to get a full refund. My only complaint about the headset was that after about 8 hours the cups started to feel uncomfortable on my ears (I have big ears, I don't believe this is a normal problem). Apparently them breaking is some sort of fluke, because I can't find anyone else who broke a pair, and I am METICULOUS about how I treat my gaming gear (proof: the cord of the gamecom has no kinks or nicks).

So, rambling aside I will have about 100 bucks to replace them with. Any suggestions? I prettymuch only play LoL and some occasional TF2, so positional audio isn't a huge concern.

I've seen lots of good reviews for the Steelseries Siberia V2. Anyone know anything?
The rest of my accessories are Razer (Mouse, Keyboard, Nostromo [best investment for LoL gaming IMO]). They have all worked well, so a Carcharias or Megalodon seems tempting to complete my setup.

Any thoughts?

Postal Twinkie

Wrenchman

04-08-2013

Before using my current set of cans, I was using the Razer Carcharias, they were comfortable and had better sound than most "gaming" headesets. The mic was crisp and clear on it as well, if I didn't have what I have now, I would be using the Razers.

Zielmann

04-09-2013

I just picked up a headset a few weeks ago, and I choose the Siberia V2's. First real headset I've had. Prior to that, I was using a stand mic in front of me, with my good listening headphones. Long story short, i would definitely recommend the V2's to anybody. Just remember that I don't really have another headset to compare them to.

They seem to be pretty well built. The cord is fairly thick. Definitely doesn't feel fragile. The in-line volume/mic control is pretty solid, and definitely works well. Volume knob requires a deliberate amount of force to turn it. Not enough to be annoying, but just enough that it's not going to turn itself up/down by getting caught on something.

I find them to be quite comfortable to wear as well, even for longer periods of time. They're snug, but they don't feel like they're squeezing my head/ears at all. And I can even wear them for several hours with my glasses on without an issue. This was one of the main reasons I was looking into a headset, as my listening headphones fit pretty snug, and can get to be a pain when I wear glasses with them.

The mic quality is great (at least from what my friends say). They said that it actually sounds a lot more like me, than my cheap old stand mic provided. As with many headsets, it's also a directional mic, so it doesn't pick up mouse clicks or keyboard noise at all. I'm sure this is pretty much what you'd be used to, though, comparing it to an actual headset.

The sound quality is good. I won't call it great or outstanding, then again, I'm comparing it to headphones meant for accurate music reproduction. I wouldn't expect the same degree of sound quality from a headset. The bass is present but not booming (I prefer it this way). Treble is very clear without being tinny or harsh. Overall, the audio is extremely clear, which is great for gaming, especially if you have voice chat on top of game audio. The audio in general does feel a bit dry to me, though, compared my other headphones.

Oh yeah, and one more thing about the cord: it's freaking long. Like, really long. I think it's 3 meters in total. There's 1m of cable attached to the left side of the headset. This section as the audio controls on it. Then it splits to the two 3.5mm jacks. From there, there's a 2m extender. On the far side of the extender, the cable splits back out to the 2 separate jacks about 16 inches from the end. This was crucial for me, as I have a separate digital-to-analog converter/headphone amp unit that sits on top of my case. I was able to plug the headphone jack into that, and still reach the mic jack all they way at the bottom of the back of my tower. Most people will probably be plugging into adjacent jacks, though, but it's nice to know still.

Findoglorian

04-09-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postal Twinkie View Post
Before using my current set of cans, I was using the Razer Carcharias, they were comfortable and had better sound than most "gaming" headesets. The mic was crisp and clear on it as well, if I didn't have what I have now, I would be using the Razers.
What kind of cans do you use now? The primary reason I'm looking at a "Gaming" headset over a normal pair of cans is just because an attached mic is convenient. I thought about getting a clip on uni-directional and an $80 set better suited to music.

As far as the Sibeira V2s, I had heard they were comfortable with glasses. That was one of the reasons I was interested. Thanks for the feedback.

Postal Twinkie

Wrenchman

04-09-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Findoglorian View Post
What kind of cans do you use now? The primary reason I'm looking at a "Gaming" headset over a normal pair of cans is just because an attached mic is convenient. I thought about getting a clip on uni-directional and an $80 set better suited to music.

As far as the Sibeira V2s, I had heard they were comfortable with glasses. That was one of the reasons I was interested. Thanks for the feedback.
I use these...

http://www.amazon.com/AKG-K702-65th-.../dp/B00A8LZ5GU

and just a cheap boom mic, while I wait for my Mod Mic to show up.

http://www.modmic.com/

Findoglorian

04-10-2013

Mod Mic is a good choice for an add on mic.