An Intel i5 processor, or an AMD FX processor? That is the question

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ZerglingOne

04-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiryuu16 View Post
AMD isn't competitive except at the very low end (Intel i3 and Pentium) anymore. It's a shame, but true.
Dollar amount : processing power is heavily in AMD's favor.

Defy Logic

04-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZerglingOne View Post
In the OP's Example, $199 vs $215 and that's not even considering how terribad the fx is vs the 3570k. So no.

Cool Stuffz

04-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZerglingOne View Post
Processing power is in AMD's favor? Lolwut.

Intel's processors are better in pretty much every respect except price (which justifies them being more expensive).

Ueda85

04-08-2013

intel 100%

Postal Twinkie

Wrenchman

04-08-2013

Wow, so much horrible hate and lack of fact in this thread. Here, let someone who does this for a living help you.

What exactly are you going to be doing with the computer?

While Intel currently has the higher IPC, instructions per clock/cycle, AMD's Pile Driver isn't that farm behind. Pile Driver in the FX line is the x3xx series, in this case the 8350. In the day to day real world, a person isn't going to notice a difference between the two (Intel and AMD).

However, there are certain situations where the FX will be faster than the i5. Situations like encoding/decoding, rendering, and games that will utilize as many threads as possible. One of the first is Crysis 3, it tends to favor multiple threads. The 8350 only falling just short of the mighty 3770K from Intel. So while with most the current games the i5 will be as fast, in some cases, faster than the 8350 (talking ~5% depending on game), that is going to change. Games running on Unreal Engine 4 are going to favor heavily threaded processors, in short quad core will be come a sort of minimum.

The other consideration is longevity. Intel is done with the current LGA1155 socket, that would be Sandybridge and Ivybridge based processors. This includes, but not limited to, the 2500K, 2600K, 3570K, and 3770K. The new Haswell processor is launching the first week of June, and uses the new 1150 socket. There isn't a large performance difference between Ivybridge and Haswell, as the major Haswell performance gain was on the i-GPU. Anyways, moving on, basically what is on the market right now for Intel is it! No real upgrade path on a current chipset/board.

AMD, however, is using the AM3+ socket and has committed to it for the next few years. If you purchase the 8350 and supporting board, you will have an upgrade path for the next couple of years. This will allow you to just swap processors, should you need to, with a more powerful version at a later time. Where as with Intel you would have to get a new board with that processor, and do a clean installation of your OS.

What does this mean? There is very little performance difference right now between the i5 and 8350, and in several situations where high thread count is beneficial, the 8350 pulls ahead. The 8350 has an upgrade path, with minimal cost and effort, Intel currently doesn't. Although you could replace the i5 with an i7 at a later date.

If an i7 wasn't in my budget, I would purchase the 8350.

P.s.

I am almost certain that people hating on the 8350 in this thread are confusing it with the 8150 Zambezi (Bull Dozer), which was a flop along with the other Bull Dozer processors.

silenthunt

04-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postal Twinkie View Post
Wow, so much horrible hate and lack of fact in this thread. Here, let someone who does this for a living help you.

What exactly are you going to be doing with the computer?

While Intel currently has the higher IPC, instructions per clock/cycle, AMD's Pile Driver isn't that farm behind. Pile Driver in the FX line is the x3xx series, in this case the 8350. In the day to day real world, a person isn't going to notice a difference between the two (Intel and AMD).

However, there are certain situations where the FX will be faster than the i5. Situations like encoding/decoding, rendering, and games that will utilize as many threads as possible. One of the first is Crysis 3, it tends to favor multiple threads. The 8350 only falling just short of the mighty 3770K from Intel. So while with most the current games the i5 will be as fast, in some cases, faster than the 8350 (talking ~5% depending on game), that is going to change. Games running on Unreal Engine 4 are going to favor heavily threaded processors, in short quad core will be come a sort of minimum.

The other consideration is longevity. Intel is done with the current LGA1155 socket, that would be Sandybridge and Ivybridge based processors. This includes, but not limited to, the 2500K, 2600K, 3570K, and 3770K. The new Haswell processor is launching the first week of June, and uses the new 1150 socket. There isn't a large performance difference between Ivybridge and Haswell, as the major Haswell performance gain was on the i-GPU. Anyways, moving on, basically what is on the market right now for Intel is it! No real upgrade path on a current chipset/board.

AMD, however, is using the AM3+ socket and has committed to it for the next few years. If you purchase the 8350 and supporting board, you will have an upgrade path for the next couple of years. This will allow you to just swap processors, should you need to, with a more powerful version at a later time. Where as with Intel you would have to get a new board with that processor, and do a clean installation of your OS.

What does this mean? There is very little performance difference right now between the i5 and 8350, and in several situations where high thread count is beneficial, the 8350 pulls ahead. The 8350 has an upgrade path, with minimal cost and effort, Intel currently doesn't. Although you could replace the i5 with an i7 at a later date.

If an i7 wasn't in my budget, I would purchase the 8350.

P.s.

I am almost certain that people hating on the 8350 in this thread are confusing it with the 8150 Zambezi (Bull Dozer), which was a flop along with the other Bull Dozer processors.
It was to be expected. I was waiting for that 1 response in a hundred that actually had some credible facts.

Using it for gaming, and yeah I figured the 8 cores would be good when developers start optimizing for it. This is sound advice.

Postal Twinkie

Wrenchman

04-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenthunt View Post
It was to be expected. I was waiting for that 1 response in a hundred that actually had some credible facts.

Using it for gaming, and yeah I figured the 8 cores would be good when developers start optimizing for it. This is sound advice.
Developers are going to really start optimizing for it as well, both next gen consoles are 8 core AMD based systems. More specifically the PS4 will be using an x86 environment, so you will see fairly heavy optimization towards AMD products on games that are ported between PS4 and PC.

Really, there are two processors to buy right now for current and future games. The i7 3770K if you can afford it, and if not, the FX 8350. Which at 30% less on cost, but only about 10% behind in performance, brings a lot to the table for the money.

silenthunt

04-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postal Twinkie View Post
Developers are going to really start optimizing for it as well, both next gen consoles are 8 core AMD based systems. More specifically the PS4 will be using an x86 environment, so you will see fairly heavy optimization towards AMD products on games that are ported between PS4 and PC.

Really, there are two processors to buy right now for current and future games. The i7 3770K if you can afford it, and if not, the FX 8350. Which at 30% less on cost, but only about 10% behind in performance, brings a lot to the table for the money.
What exactly is it that you do for a living?

Postal Twinkie

Wrenchman

04-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenthunt View Post
What exactly is it that you do for a living?
I am the VP of an ISP as well as the Managing Partner of a systems repair company, that also provides custom builds. Worked for, or with, companies like Dell, Hewlett Packard, Sony, etc.

I had my first PC when I was 6, built my first when I was 10, sold my first for profit by 11. General hardware nut.....

EasymodeX

04-09-2013

I've purchased two AMD PCs in my life, and both have had problems stemming from the CPU. I've never had any problems with any Intel processor.