Master Yi is broken

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Drizzt

12-06-2009

I have played several games recently that have been completed ruined by a Master Yi. Yes the people playing him were decent players, but they were far from the best I have come up againl, and they had good builds but it wasn't anything creative and unusual it was just the recommended items. Decent players and the recommended build should not completely unbalance a game to the point where the concerted efforts of two or three organized (I am sitting in the same room with them) team mates can't counter it. The problem with Master Yi as I see it is:

1. This game is a team game, but you don't necessarily know the people your teaming with or can count on them not to suck, match making is a joke.
2. Master Yi relies on hero deaths to do well, without his ult he is relatively harmless, but with it he become and unstopable force. (I find this to be an incredibly interesting idea for a hero and think that it was a cool concept to try, it just doest work in the game)
3. This means If you have a SINGLE bad player on your team or player having an off night or playing over agressively or whatever it is, which in my experience happens in atleast 50% of games or more and probably more. Against a decent Master Yi (has played him before and knows how to follow the recommended build), it is almost impossible to win, his team can simply feed off the bad player, which triggers Master Yi's ult and he dominates everyone else.

This means that you have to rely on every single person on your team not to be bad. In a normal game on the otherhand (meaning without a Master Yi) one or two bad players can be overcome by good teamwork and smart play from the rest of the taem.

An example of the ridiculessness I am encountering: In one recent game a Master Yi attacked myself and 3 team mates at one of our own turrets, he and his team had already ganked our worst player and so he had his ult up. With us litterally standing at the base of the turret Master Yi was able to run in and kill 2 of us and escape. That is three heroes and a turret doing all they can, and yes we had stuns and disables and yes I spammed them as much as I could, but it didn't matter. There wasn't a level difference, at this point we were all level 18. I don't understand how that can be remotely close to balanced. This Master Yi that killed us at the tower didn't have any crazy special build or anything, he just bought the recommended items and he wasn't even the best Master Yi I've seen.

It is also great that Exhaust doesn't work on him when his ult is up, and blitzcranks stun/knock in the air doesn't work properly when his ult is up.

Do I just suck? Does he have an incredible weakness that I am missing? Or does this seam totally unfair to anyone else?

Possible comments I forsee:
1. Master Yi sucks early game, which is pretty much true, he does, but all his 4 team mates have to do is keep you from detroying their base turrets while he gets to level 18 and gets a couple of his items, then it is one hero kill away from being over.

2. Quit wining and L2P. Thank you, I am working on being better at this game, and I have been playing sense closed beta so I think I don't TOTALLY suck. The main problem I see with Master Yi however is not that he dominates me but that fundamentally he exploits the fact that there will almost always be one hero making bad decisions in every game and uses that hero to then dominate EVERYONE else. To me this does not fit with the balance of the rest of the heroes and is just ****ty, it basically is saying, making a team of 5 or quit playing. There are lots of heroes and players who own me all up and down the map, and I don't get on here and post about them, I just slam my desk and wander around my house yelling at things.

3. LOL YOU NOOB I OWN MASTER YI IN THIS ONE GAME! Congratulation, can you tell me how? Was it just one game or do you have a tip or trick that works to continually dominate Master Yi? Please share with us wise dominating one!

4. If Master Yi is so awesome why dont you just play him and dominate games? I simply do not like his play style and don't care to play him. That is why we have different heroes after all. I think it is important to have a game balance that allows people to play any hero they want. If it gets to the point where you say well you have to have a Master Yi to win, that is broken. Similarly if it gets to the point where you say you have to have hero X to counter Master Yi, that is broken.

5. General flaming. It's ok I cry myself to sleep at nights anyways, this way I'll have an excuse =P. No really, I have been around internet gaming enough not to care.

I would love hear from anyone with real insight into this or some actual considered oppinions.

Sursniper

12-06-2009

well it's an interesting to play hero at the beginning.
The early levels are fun, you gotta manage meditating (yes i like this skill), the charges etc.
But late game it's just boring, you usualy jump on a lonely hero with your ult + damage boost skill, kill him, if he runs away, you use the charge skill or just keep chasing with the huge speed boost of the ult...
Only CCs kill him.
Usualy, a Yi player will take a lot of risks, he'll rush you even if you're under your tower if he can kill you and get out alive, or he'll rush in your team as soon as he uses his ult. If he is solo just CC him, he knows he can't drawback because his ult has a big CD with no champ kills, so he'll usualy die.

God SoRcuS

12-06-2009

Yes yi can obliterate teams who aren't aware of what he can do or If not focus fired. Yes he is a carry DPS. You need to focus fire him. All 5 of you. Even in solo queue this is very much possible. Same with Twitch, Ashe etc etc. Focus fire is needed.Simply the end.

Drizzt

12-06-2009

"all 5 of you" is the problem God Sorcus, Twitch and Ashe are much easier to kill once you can get to them and a decent blitz crank or other tank should have little problem with them in my experience. The fact that a hero REQUIRES all 5 people in the game to be on exactly the same page or he will dominate send the message that you should play as a 5 person arranged group, or pack up and quit playing. It is possible to get decent pugs in the solo queue, I've done it, but having a 50% or less chance of having and enjoyable experience based soley on things out of my control is not worth it to me, it most certainly isn't worth investing any money in. I really feel that if this game wants to have as widespread a fan base as they claim they do and not just fall back to a game being for the harcore DoTa player converts and new players who haven't gotten sick of it yet, they are going to have to fix the balance issue, starting with Master Yi.

Sursniper, I appreciate your comments, but I don't really know what to do about it when myself as blitzcrank and two team mates fight him under the tower and I am trying to stun as often as I can and he still kills me and another hero before running away to heal up and come back to kill the tower. He did exactly what you described charged into our team at the tower etc. and we tried to CC him, but it just was pointless... hes too powerful.

God SoRcuS

12-06-2009

Again, I agree with what you have said about the all 5 of you. Yes it is hard to pull your team's weight to win. But then again they CANNOT balance a champ based on that. Since no matter how you argue, LOL is still focused on team based fights. How do you imagine buffing/nerfing a hero based on that? If you do that it will break the experience of the other players. I solo queue every single game, and I haven't yet seen a game where Yi made all teh difference. NOT ONE.

Hardcore DotA players you say? the number of dota players in this world is in the millions. And it's a good target for Riot to aim for. It isn't a balance issue. It is a player issue. I have told this already in this forum, but I will say it again. Any game developer cannot balance his/her game based on a single tier/ single mode of play. There are 1000's of other issues to consider mate. Again I am not trolling or anything just saying the blunt truth. Master yi is totally fine in my opinion.

ShowMeYourMoves

12-07-2009

If you don't like Yi

go play a Melee DPS Sion

He can kick Yi's *** any time.

Ok, I admit I am here to troll. but, it is true, 1 v 1 Sion can beat Yi.

GNOY

12-07-2009

Well, anyone can dominate if they are fed.

Quote:
It is also great that Exhaust doesn't work on him when his ult is up, and blitzcranks stun/knock in the air doesn't work properly when his ult is up.
- This should be FIXED asap. Exhaust is ultimate counter to phys DPS, master Yi shouldn't be exclusion and should get blinded as every other hero.

Ksielvin

12-07-2009

Wrote a nice long reply for you with tips but forum logout timer ate it because the tab had been open a while.

In the end, I think you'll see the same problems from most or all other carries in similar situations. Problem is the early exp and gold the carry and his team get thanks to the feeder, not that said person makes team fights almost 4vs5. Even though missing the killing blow for cooldown reset sucks, Yi's ult doesn't depend on the kill - unlike Evelyn's. Now there's someone who reaches high effectiveness earlier than pure carries and will make the game even faster if given a free kill at the start of fights.

Ksielvin

12-07-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNOY View Post
This should be FIXED asap. Exhaust is ultimate counter to phys DPS, master Yi shouldn't be exclusion and should get blinded as every other hero.
I like Yi and I'm painfully aware he isn't seen as very viable at higher ELO. The immunity to Exhaust from ult is sort of a saving grace because it really changes the early match-up against Trynd or Twitch. Until they Cleanse my Exhaust anyway.

I wouldn't be completely surprised if this got changed. Although IMO Exhaust is usually taken for the snare and you bring stuns for anti-carry duty.

If it does get changed, guess I might finally decide my mind on Cleanse over Teleport as Yi.

Xocolatl

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-07-2009

I don't think it's particularly a Yi problem, but rather a physical DPS problem overall.
Most physical DPSers are 1 trick ponies--they will rush you, and they will kill you very quickly unless you have a stun.
In my opinion, the only way to fix this is to redesign the bulk of physical carries and give them all a gimmick. All casters are gimmicky--they have weird CCs and shields and things that annoy you in general. Physical carries (especially the assassins) do not. They have insane damage, and nothing else. This is just too **** boring and extremely vexing in my opinion, since their damage must be absurdly high at end game for them to contribute--which makes them imba in smaller group fights.