Adept in Mass Effect 2

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MyMouthSoClean

04-08-2013

So I decided to start from the beginning once again with ME1, playing all the way through so I can carry my game to ME2 and eventually ME3. I only have one other character I've beaten the game with and carried over to ME2, and he was a soldier. I wanted to do things differently this time so I made an adept. I can't decide if I like the playstyle based on ME1 but combat for ME2 is leaps and bounds ahead of the first. I have heard however that due to biotics not being able to drain shields, and a good chunk of enemies being shielded in some way, adepts in ME2 are not nearly as good as before. I just want any input before I finish up 1 and import the game to 2, since I can switch a class even if I import the character. I've never played 3 so once I finish the playthrough on this character I plan to buy 3, but from what I read, you cannot change you class when you import your character in 3, so this decision is going to have to be final. Pros/cons?

How is playing an adept in ME2?

HetairoiAthenas

04-08-2013

It's fine just bring Tali or Garrus or whatever to do overloads.

EasymodeX

04-09-2013

Quote:
I have heard however that due to biotics not being able to drain shields, and a good chunk of enemies being shielded in some way, adepts in ME2 are not nearly as good as before. I just want any input before I finish up 1 and import the game to 2, since I can switch a class even if I import the character. I've never played 3 so once I finish the playthrough on this character I plan to buy 3, but from what I read, you cannot change you class when you import your character in 3, so this decision is going to have to be final. Pros/cons?
Umm, I'm pretty sure you can change class when you import. Don't recall 100% though, only like 80% sure. That aside, an Adept in ME2 is pretty easy. It does depend a bit on what difficulty level you choose, though. On normal and hard, you can just spray some SMG shots (they get bonus damage versus shields; I recommend you use the Tempest over the Locust for the higher damage versus shields) to bust the shields, then slam the target with Adept pew pew. Also, do yourself a favor and beeline for missions that have SMG upgrades so you can upgrade the bonus damage versus shields even sooner.

Tali/Garrus/Miranda overload/energy drain also work just as well, particularly for targets with bigass shields (typically YMIR mechs).

Otherwise it's pretty zzzz.

Oh, and ME3 Adept is absolutely awesome to play.

Edit: only hard part is deciding which bonus power to use. Reave is pretty fun, but kind of redundant (even if you can combo on heavy armor off it, which is actually somewhat useful). Warp Ammo is good, but generic. It will also help shred shields faster which is useful. You can pick up energy drain yourself, but I think Warp Ammo is a better solution for shield busting (or even Disruptor Ammo if you really hate shields; but Warp really is better).

MyMouthSoClean

04-09-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasymodeX View Post
Umm, I'm pretty sure you can change class when you import. Don't recall 100% though, only like 80% sure. That aside, an Adept in ME2 is pretty easy. It does depend a bit on what difficulty level you choose, though. On normal and hard, you can just spray some SMG shots (they get bonus damage versus shields; I recommend you use the Tempest over the Locust for the higher damage versus shields) to bust the shields, then slam the target with Adept pew pew. Also, do yourself a favor and beeline for missions that have SMG upgrades so you can upgrade the bonus damage versus shields even sooner.

Tali/Garrus/Miranda overload/energy drain also work just as well, particularly for targets with bigass shields (typically YMIR mechs).

Otherwise it's pretty zzzz.

Oh, and ME3 Adept is absolutely awesome to play.

Edit: only hard part is deciding which bonus power to use. Reave is pretty fun, but kind of redundant (even if you can combo on heavy armor off it, which is actually somewhat useful). Warp Ammo is good, but generic. It will also help shred shields faster which is useful. You can pick up energy drain yourself, but I think Warp Ammo is a better solution for shield busting (or even Disruptor Ammo if you really hate shields; but Warp really is better).
Yeah from what I read you can change class when you import on 2 but not when you import from 2 to 3. I've heard different sides between warp ammo and reave, and its pretty much what you said. My main problem is I always forget to use my teammates' powers. When I first beat it on normal difficulty I was playing a soldier and it was pretty easy, so this time I'm probably going to go with hard difficulty. I just want to try something different because soldier gets pretty boring.