Is it racist?

123
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SkeithGotBanned

Member

04-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Light LaserTower View Post
I hope you weren't planning on coming here and getting people angry.. You will need some practice, may I suggest starting on an easier board? Perhaps GD and go on about how somthing is viable that isn't or vis versa you should see your desired response. Remeber the key is to be passionate about what you are talking about and you have to make it look like you really do believe what you are talking about.
This board is very easy to make people go angry.

Any polemic topic and you'll get people bashing each other.

That must be because they are all 13 years old pretending to know something.

Oh well.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

AK47WOLF

Senior Member

04-08-2013

I believe in order for it to be racist there first has to be an observation followed by a conclusion based on that observation while asserting that something irrelevant to the observation (ie. skin color), is the reason why the incident was observed in the first place.

"Watch out for the blacks, they will steal your car." is technically racist because it attributes skin color as contributing to the reason why the black guy wants to steal your car.

"Watch out for individuals of a diminished socioeconomic status, they might try to steal your car." is not racist, though technically profiling the underprivileged as thieves, we have gotten away from the racist element, which was attributing skin color as a contributing factor in whether or not someone wants to steal your car.

The questions:

African Americans are faster runners than Caucasian. Generalization, iffy.

African Americans according to crime statistics are 6 times more likely to spend time in jail. Statistical drawing a conclusion based on statistic, not racist.

African Americans according to crime statistics are 3 times more likely to car Jack you. Statistical, but poorly worded conclusion that suggests they car jack because they are black.

African American males have slightly larger peenises than Caucasian males. Anatomy statistic, not racist.

African Americans have thicker skulls than Caucasians. Same as above.

I don't want to park my car in that African American neighborhood because it's more likely to get stolen. Attributing skin color to intent to commit a crime. Racism probably not intended by can be derived from it.

Is there a difference between saying something negative about a race or group and being racist? Yes.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Fongletto

Senior Member

04-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Light LaserTower View Post
I hope you weren't planning on coming here and getting people angry.. You will need some practice, may I suggest starting on an easier board? Perhaps GD and go on about how somthing is viable that isn't or vis versa you should see your desired response. Remeber the key is to be passionate about what you are talking about and you have to make it look like you really do believe what you are talking about.

If I wanted to make them angry I would of worded my questions much differently. I tried to be as diplomatic as I possibly could be when asking just so people would actually answer without yelling at me.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Fongletto

Senior Member

04-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK47WOLF View Post
I believe in order for it to be racist there first has to be an observation followed by a conclusion based on that observation while asserting that something irrelevant to the observation (ie. skin color), is the reason why the incident was observed in the first place.

"Watch out for the blacks, they will steal your car." is technically racist because it attributes skin color as contributing to the reason why the black guy wants to steal your car.

"Watch out for individuals of a diminished socioeconomic status, they might try to steal your car." is not racist, though technically profiling the underprivileged as thieves, we have gotten away from the racist element, which was attributing skin color as a contributing factor in whether or not someone wants to steal your car.
Hey I appreciate the thought out response. I would of loved it if you could of answered the question list too .

Can I just ask? Isn't calling poor people thieves just as bad as calling African American thieves?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Light LaserTower

Senior Member

04-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkeithGotBanned View Post
This board is very easy to make people go angry.

Any polemic topic and you'll get people bashing each other.

That must be because they are all 13 years old pretending to know something.

Oh well.
I meant more so enraged at the topic rather then each other. Getting two enemys to yell at each other isn't a difficult task.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Fongletto

Senior Member

04-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by HetairoiAthenas View Post
you are either wilfully stupid and/or ignorant or do you really not know the connotation that having a thick skull means beyond being a medical comparative statement?
I know what it means when applied to a negative context I wasn't trying to do this. I'm sorry if I came off badly. That wasn't my intent. The statements were not meant to have meaning. They were just meant to gauge your emotional reaction to the sentence alone and nothing else.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Fongletto

Senior Member

04-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Light LaserTower View Post
I meant more so enraged at the topic rather then each other. Getting two enemys to yell at each other isn't a difficult task.

Hmm that's a good point actually. That's why I wanted yes or no answers to begin with. I'm going to edit out the part about leaving comments.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

AK47WOLF

Senior Member

04-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fongletto View Post
Hey I appreciate the thought out response. I would of loved it if you could of answered the question list too .

Can I just ask? Isn't calling poor people thieves just as bad as calling African American thieves?
I edited my post with answers to the questions. I couldn't answer yes or no on some of them, sorry if that complicates your survey.

In answer to your question, technically yes. But it's a broader term, profiling less people, and viewing a group of humans, regardless of race, under a colorblind microscope. It eliminates racism in the issue, but opens up another problem, but I feel it's less destructive.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

HetairoiAthenas

Member

04-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fongletto View Post
Can I just ask? Isn't calling poor people thieves just as bad as calling African American thieves?
It's classist.

And it isn't as bad as racism, because people can mask their class and pretend to be something else. And then there are people who are unable to tell the difference, making socioeconomic class less of a suspect classification.

Furthermore, how exactly do you discrimination against people of low socioeconomic class? Refuse to sell them goods or services? Well, who cares, it's not like they could afford it anyway.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

My Face Is OP

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Member

04-08-2013

Yes. All of this is racist. You keep using the term "African American".

You keep putting them in a group indicating that you are aware there's a difference.

Doesn't matter what you say after that.


123