Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Zhonya's and AP casting over time: Needs to be fixed!

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Hacklash

04-06-2013

Ok, I think that there is a MAJOR problem with Zhonya's Hourglass and champions such as Swain, Karthus, and other champs that have abilities that automatically attack targets passively (Swain's Ult and Karthus's E ability, Defile).

Let's review what the Hourglasses's Ability does, just to make sure that we're clear:

"UNIQUE Active: Places your champion into Stasis for 2.5 seconds, rendering your champion invulnerable and untargetable but unable to take any actions. 90 second cooldown."

Essentially: You become invincible for 2.5 seconds, but cannot cast any spells or move or whatever. Ok, fair enough. But here's where things get...odd.

See, let's say a Karthus decides to use Defile in the middle of a group of enemies, THEN uses the Hourglass's ability. Now, Karthus can't be attacked...but his Defile ability is still going. After all, he TECHNICALLY didn't cast it during the 2.5 seconds he was in status.

But that doesn't seem right. It seems like it should be that, once the ability on Zhonya's Hourglass has been cast, Karthus's Defile should immediately end, given how Defile is cast via X mana per second, making it a continuous cast, which technically means that Karthus is still casting the spell.

I've seen this happen in games before, and it needs to get fixed. At least, I think it needs to get fixed. Has anyone else seen this before? I can't be the only one. And if you have, do you think it should be fixed as well?

JustMyBassCannon

Recruiter

04-06-2013

"Should"?

There are a few spells (you can count them on your fingers) that work through Zhonya's Hourglass. They were designed with that in mind, and they're all area effect spells with either damage over time or a delay.

Kind of like how there are certain champions with physical damage abilities that can abuse Black Cleaver's proc (i.e. Renekton instantly applying 3 stacks of shred), or how some champions can abuse the DoTs of Liandry's and Blackfire by multi-hit or DoT spells (Malzahar, Brand, Fiddlesticks, Katarina). Or how certain mages can benefit more from Muramana than Seraph's Embrace (Syndra, Ryze).

Some champs just abuse item effects better.

67chrome

04-06-2013

Zhonya's Ring had the same interaction long before it was broken into Zhonya's Hourglass and Rabadon's Deathcap - I'm guessing Riot decided the stasis was a great way to keep short-ranged tanky mages relevant in team fights, rather than having short-range spells be a massive drawback (such as the massive drawback melee carries have for being melee).

Fiddlesticks, Morgana, Swain, Kennen, and Karthus all have the capacity to keep some ability going while they're a statue - and Riot clearly knows they have the interaction, Zhonya's Hourglass is a recommended item for pretty much all of them. All those mages have to actually throw themselves into the middle of a team fight to get that working though - without Zhonya's, that would mean dealing no damage and surviving the focus of an entire team via tankyness, or dealing tons of damage for half a second and then vaporizing. Considering Mages more or less have the distinct function on a team to win teamfights from a massive display of AoE damage, that's a recipie for disaster for those mages without Zhonya's. And you can always move out of their AoE effects - considering they're immobile for 2.5 seconds.

Hacklash

04-06-2013

I guess that makes sense. It just seems like something that shouldn't happen when you write it out on paper. Maybe I'm just getting tripped up by the wording of the Hourglass.

Llanite

04-08-2013

Without Zhonya, all these skills will become useless IMO. Might as well replace them with another long-ranged spell.

The only thing that's odd is that Anvia's storm stopped as I activated ZH =(

Khalahn

04-08-2013

Quote:
Llanite:
Without Zhonya, all these skills will become useless IMO. Might as well replace them with another long-ranged spell.

The only thing that's odd is that Anvia's storm stopped as I activated ZH =(

This is because all hard CC stops her storm. It's basically a channel that lets her move around and cast her other spells.