How to play Vayne against her counters?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Lee Cheong

04-06-2013

Hi, im Raeru and currently Silver 3. I have mained Vayne since I tried her out, and escaped Bronze 1 and got to Silver 3 with her. Up until now I have been losing lane a lot.

Back at bronze 1 to silver 4, I have been winning my lanes even when they were against Draven, Caitlyn, Corki, ect.. But now I have gotten tougher opponents and I cant seem to win my lane every game now. I have been getting zoned and out farmed, which means I get shutdown and can't pub-stomp late game.

I want to know how to beat or do well against the following champions with Vayne:

-Vayne against Draven

-Vayne against Caitlyn

-Vayne against Graves

-Vayne against Corki

-Vayne against Varus

CSULB Djoker

04-06-2013

All of them can and will poke you down as you farm. Only reason is, if they're smart, they will try their best efforts to make sure you get underfarmed. What you can do is wait for them to be overextend and take advantage of their mistakes or try your best to farm because most of these ADCs have a batter early game than you.

Jinir

04-06-2013

ahhh vayne, that slippery slope of extreme dmg and then suddenly caught and raped.
This is with absolutely no reference of whos supporting you, and whos the enemy support...which keep in mind is extremely important.

vayne against draven - Draven has great early harass with his Spinning Axe so don't try to trade with him early. He has also AS/MS buff and DoT passive that applies on every critical strike or Spinning Axe. Try to push him so he cannot catch his axes. (In lower leagues I've found it extremely easy to just tumble+shoot and immediately running back to just dish out easy dmg with no counter)

vayne against caitlyn- Caitlyn is very strong against Vayne simply because she has longer range, so she will be able to poke her effectively, and those Headshots will hurt if you get hit. Avoid her when her passive is up and try to Tumble out of Piltover Peacemaker However, Caitlyn will be much weaker than you late game, so you will have to care till then. (Try to watch her rifle when possible, simple, when it lightsup/charges(headshot) up, dont let her hit you. Do not let her land piltover on you, so if you have to save tumbles for it, and if possible when you tumble out of it try to lane a shot immediately after tumbling. If you are laning still after lvl 6, try to stay relatively near enough to your support that you can have him/her stand infront of you if she ults to take the dmg).

vayne against graves- Graves has passive that increases his armor, so Vayne won't deal much damage early. His level 6 burst damage is really high and he will be able to burst you in a second if you aren't careful. He can also poke you effectively with his Quickdraw + Buckshot combo.

vayne against corki- Corki can poke you early with Phosphorus Bomb and he can shred your armor with Gatling Gun to deal more damage to you. At level 6 he has also a high burst potential with his Missile Barrage. Use Tumble to avoid them.

vayne against varus- Varus' skillset allows him to deal high damage even at low lvls, making him a great laner. With Taric, Varus can deal damage freely and stack those Blight's while the enemy is stunned. After 3 stacks, just hit Q for a nice burst. With his ult + E and Taric's stun, they can lock you down easily.

Whats the theme of all of this? You are very weak early game considered amongst other ADCs, while you become a monster late game if farmed right. It's extremely important for you to not full on engage the enemy unless you are positive you are going to win the trade/get kills. If the river isn't warded, don't over extend. Although simple rules, hard to follow sometimes when you just want to gorge in on those creeps up at enemy tower. Make sure to not push lane early game and if you notice support auto attacking or pushing lane, politely tell him/her to stop.

a subtle little side note, I personally have and seen other vaynes love to come to mid upon hitting level 6 and R+Q+ flash out of grass and E the caster towards your tower. But 99% its not worth even attempting to do that for exposing yourself as a easy kill.

Lee Cheong

04-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureAznKid View Post
All of them can and will poke you down as you farm. Only reason is, if they're smart, they will try their best efforts to make sure you get underfarmed. What you can do is wait for them to be overextend and take advantage of their mistakes or try your best to farm because most of these ADCs have a batter early game than you.
I try to farm but there was one smart Draven/Thresh, they did not push and they put pinks in the lane bushes so I had no vision of thresh. I got denied of exp and cs, and whenever their minions pushed to my turret I would constantly tried to get hooked. I got about 30 cs behind and we lost the game because late game I was still not caught up and a renekton was diving me.

Sephïroth

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-06-2013

Vayne loses her spark around Gold, IMO. To play Vayne you need to work in conjunction with a kill lane support in order to survive in these scenarios. Leona is the one I like best with Vayne, as you can peel an ADC up against a wall effectively for quite a while.

She can still succeed, you just need to be able to get in your 3 hits on them when they try to exchange with you. Try and back them into your minions when they go to harras. This way you can Aa, AA, Q, AA.

Alternatively she can get a sustain/peel support like Janna/Soraka/Nami who can just keep the enemy ADC at bay and doing little damage to you. Then you just turn your lane into a farm lane until the jungler comes.

Lee Cheong

04-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinir View Post
vayne against draven - Draven has great early harass with his Spinning Axe so don't try to trade with him early. He has also AS/MS buff and DoT passive that applies on every critical strike or Spinning Axe. Try to push him so he cannot catch his axes. (In lower leagues I've found it extremely easy to just tumble+shoot and immediately running back to just dish out easy dmg with no counter)
If I do that I constantly run out of mana. But now lets take account of supports, I have been against Draven/Thresh, Draven/Taric. They are both hard, how do I deal with them? What supports do I need to counter them?

Jinir

04-06-2013

Consider taking cleanse if your vayne.

Taric- Lulu can typically out-poke a Taric lane and keep him off you. Alistar is another good choice in that if Taric stuns you can either knock him away or knock his ADC away and knock Taric up. Leona's also a decent choice (provided she works well with you as Vayne). Can just dive in on their ADC when Taric goes for yours.

Thresh- In my opinion, I'd like a Alistar or Lulu as support, alternatively sona. Lulu/Sona can out poke thresh.

TL;DR get Leona/alistar/lulu/sona with leona/ali being my favs against both those lane comps.

Anything else I could say I guess would be that make sure in an engagement against you guys that your support is going for the draven with you. Out side of that, dont let thresh hook you.

Kalinsub

06-21-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seph´roth View Post
Vayne loses her spark around Gold, IMO.
Tell that to DoubleLift

Only Wukong Mid

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-23-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seph´roth View Post
Vayne loses her spark around Gold, IMO.
Tell that to Nientonsoh.

PigCheese

06-23-2013

I think vayne is strong but she's jsut hard to use and it gets really hard the better the enemy is but not impossible.